View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shedding light on a bad shroom trip

1timepost

Greenlighter
Wanted to shed some light on what a bad trip feels like from my personal experience for those curious:

Your memory and thought processes become disturbed and they begin to fade. If taken at a high enough dosage, you forget everything like where you are or why, all your past history (friends, parents, experiences), the fact that you took a drug or how much, etc. And since you can't remember anything, you're just stuck in this uncomfortable presence (if you're not comfortable where you are - this is why trip prepping is SO important) and you don't know if it will ever end because your memory is gone so there is no longer a beginning to this feeling (don't remember taking a drug or how much of it you took) and therefore your mind induces that there may be no end.

You close your eyes but that can bring up more intense visualizations, so you can't sleep it off. You lie down on the ground to try to meditate through the next few hours but something (bugs crawling on your arm, people asking you to move, some desire being unmet like feeling cold or remembering that you need to charge your phone so that you can keep checking the time or thirst) keeps you from laying there too long, so you're constantly moving around from goal to goal.

If you constantly forget your goals from having taken a high enough dosage and then remember them (I want water - get up to move - forget - I should charge my phone before it dies - walk towards charger - forget - I'm thirsty and want water - go towards water - forget - phone- etc), this can create an endless loop that you will eventually become aware of after a few cycles and your mind will induce that you're stuck in this endless loop forever since your memory can't serve you long enough to complete any of the goals in mind. Even worse is if the goals go hand in hand or if there's no possibility of an environmental change like your phone eventually dying, which could create an infinite cycle that's even harder to become aware of.

The anxiety can also bring up thoughts that the shrooms could at any time bring about a terrifying hallucination and since you won't remember that you're on a drug or that the trip will end at any certain time, you'll just be stuck dealing with this apparent reality. There's also the intensely scary possibility of being sent into a hallucination within your own mind (or at least your mind perceives it that way) that is separate from objective time, which means the 3 objective hours of intense tripping could theoretically feel infinite (ex: you check your phone and it's 10:00pm - what feels like 2 hours go by - check your phone again and it's only 10:02pm - or even worse, it's 9:58 or you can't even read the characters anymore, which could mean that you are no longer dwelling in reality and there is no longer an objective grounding that you can keep your hopes attached to). The feeling of being forced into a trip within your own mind can create a feeling of infinite loneliness because connections to anything outside yourself are not possible if you don't believe anything around you is real. You feel stuck and helpless and you can't possibly know for how long this feeling will last. Absolute worst case scenario - no one can help you because no one exists, you're seemingly stuck in this reality forever, and the only way out is 'death/suicide' (sort of like the movie inception) - scary just writing that. Being uncomfortable or alone for an infinite span of time is one of the scariest experiences you could imagine.

For this reason, I always hedge my bets by taking shrooms rather than lsd, since they only take effect for half the time (2-3 hours peak vs 4-6 hours peak). On a lighter note, good trips can be life changing experiences! Micro dose - about 0.5 grams give or take and wait 2.5 hours before ingesting any more - they can take a while to come on and smoking weed can definitely spark/intensify the trip so be wary!

Last edited by a moderator: