Sharing cookers for heroin injection

Pillsbury_Dope_Boy

Bluelighter
How risky is it to share cookers (as opposed to straight-up sharing needles) for heroin injection?

Today, I bought some dope off a junkie but instead of handing me the bag, he split it with me. I insisted on my own clean needle and water, and I offered him my bottle cap to use as a cooker, but instead he used HIS bottle cap (which was the orange cap that covers the back of his needle).

He did not stick his needle in there before mine.

So I didn't share needles. But I POSSIBLY shared a cooker.

I initially thought the cap was clean (because why would anyone keep the orange cap of a used needle?). But some junkies do, I guess.

Also, this guy was old and he was a street junkie/dealer.

Is it less common to get HIV or hepatitis or whatever through sharing cookers/caps than it is through straight-up needle sharing?

I know what I did was risky. I just want to know how bad the risk is. Like, if it turns out this guy was infected with something, are my chances of being sick nearly 100%? Or are they minuscule?

I mean, it's definitely risky. But I wouldn't say there's a 100%, or a miniscule chance of you catching something. Reality is probably somewhere in the middle.

I mean, it's definitely risky. But I wouldn't say there's a 100%, or a miniscule chance of you catching something. Reality is probably somewhere in the middle.
This.
There never really is either a 100% or miniscule chance of ever catching something, regardless of the methods used.

@Pillsbury_Dope_Boy yes there is a small chance you could've contracted something. It is a much smaller chance than direct blood-to-blood transmission, sure, but there is still a small chance. I strongly advise you to see a doctor as soon as you possibly can, even today, Wednesday afternoon at the latest, explain to them what happened and be 100% honest, and see what they recommend. I'm not sure what country you're in but you may be able to take a course of PrEP medication, which is where you take a tablet every day for 1 whole month, and it significantly reduces your chance of contracting HIV. However you MUST start taking it within 2-3 days of possible exposure, otherwise it won't work. Other than that your only way to know for sure if you've contracted anything is to wait a few months and get a blood test.

From what I found it’s appears to be less likely in a single incident, but may pose a bigger danger as it’s more common. They may not know the rates yet. Sharing anything while IVing its just a matter of time as the odds will catch up.

https://www.catie.ca/sites/>remove<default/files/HIV-TRANSMISSION-RISK-EN.pdf
I can’t post that as a link for some reason. Try and remove the >remove< and paste it in your browser if your interested.

Last edited:
Obviously straight - up sharing needles carries the highest risk of transmission, but there still is a possibility when sharing cookers.
There's a reason why when you buy those sterile single - use spoons they come in all different colours, so's you don't mix yours up with another person's when injecting together

From above:
" 54% of HCV infections in injection drug users who did not share syringes were attributable to cooker/cot-ton sharing."

So yeah... I think sharing anything related to IV use is asking for just about anything and it is just a matter of time.

Disease rates can also balloon fast in iv communities that share anything. A community can enjoy a long period disease free and once the community is infected the disease can really explode. So even if you have shared and not become infected over a time period, don’t be fooled, please keep everyone healthy and switch to all your own gear.

If you want to split a dose up or cook more then one at once. use a new cooker, new filter and all new rigs for everyone.

Oh shit this is the exact way to contact
Foot in mouth diesese I did it once the air Jordans I covered my full face an made it impossible to see and talk . Flip flop Sandler's I found the best for comfort and visibility & avoid any words with the letter T L P S & Z this can be a ball ache. In fact just use your own cooker every time , much safer mate 😅

Because trying to say Ten Light Please . with a slipper on its impossible buddy 🤭😂

How does one use a plastic syringe cap as a cooker anyhow?

The risk is low but is still there. The PrEP idea is a good one considering the stakes however.

How does one use a plastic syringe cap as a cooker anyhow?

The risk is low but is still there. The PrEP idea is a good one considering the stakes however.
I kinda thought the same thing, depends if it's the cap for the sharp part or the cap for the back of it. I've used the back one before but using the sharp cap seems like it'd be impossible.

Oh shit this is the exact way to contact
Foot in mouth diesese I did it once the air Jordans I covered my full face an made it impossible to see and talk . Flip flop Sandler's I found the best for comfort and visibility & avoid any words with the letter T L P S & Z this can be a ball ache. In fact just use your own cooker every time , much safer mate 😅

Because trying to say Ten Light Please . with a slipper on its impossible buddy 🤭😂
Mate this is not The Lounge, please post serious answers only in threads like this. Cheers.

What you did was the 1st time? I would follow the advice of the poster that said to take the antivirals that prevent it in the first place. Because if you keep doing stuff like this, at least next time you will know the process. Or get the effing pills at least and track the dude down and straight up ask him or get one of his used needles because HE MIGHT not even know and you could be saving his life.
Right now don't panic. If you have insurance do the preventative thing ASAP and use it as a way to have a chat with the doc about options in your community? Being an addict is not a crime. Sure, it comes with crimes - SOMETIMES- but this is a separate argument from whether or not it's a "disease".
It is, for the sake of repetition "NOT A CRIME TO BE PHYSICALLY DEPENDANT ON SOMETHING".
Buying and cooking heroin, yeah ok that's a crime.
Get off that needle man. I couldn't imagine having to go through all that extra bullshit and time that come with needles. So you won't get as high for a month, it's better than worrying constantly about needles.

How risky is it to share cookers (as opposed to straight-up sharing needles) for heroin injection?

Today, I bought some dope off a junkie but instead of handing me the bag, he split it with me. I insisted on my own clean needle and water, and I offered him my bottle cap to use as a cooker, but instead he used HIS bottle cap (which was the orange cap that covers the back of his needle).

He did not stick his needle in there before mine.

So I didn't share needles. But I POSSIBLY shared a cooker.

I initially thought the cap was clean (because why would anyone keep the orange cap of a used needle?). But some junkies do, I guess.

Also, this guy was old and he was a street junkie/dealer.

Is it less common to get HIV or hepatitis or whatever through sharing cookers/caps than it is through straight-up needle sharing?

I know what I did was risky. I just want to know how bad the risk is. Like, if it turns out this guy was infected with something, are my chances of being sick nearly 100%? Or are they minuscule?
It's difficult to gauge how severe the risk is, but as a general rule: When it comes to IV Heroin, never share anything.

Do you know if he has anything (Hep C, B etc)?
People in the scene aren't always honest about that kind of thing as people will tend to steer clear of them, and it's already a pretty lonely existence for most people anyway. Indeed as Harmredux said, they may not even know themselves.
I also have to second Harmredux's pleas for you to get away from that needle. Its not going to end well buddy. At least try move onto smoking it.

Look if it were me I'd go and get checked pal - please consider it.

Last edited:
It's difficult to gauge how severe the risk is, but as a general rule: When it comes to IV Heroin, never share anything.

Do you know if he has anything (Hep C, B etc)?
People in the scene aren't always honest about that kind of thing as people will tend to steer clear of them, and it's already a pretty lonely existence for most people anyway. Indeed as Harmredux said, they may not even know themselves.
I also have to second Harmredux's pleas for you to get away from that needle. Its not going to end well buddy. At least try move onto smoking it.

Look if it were me I'd go and get checked pal - please consider it.
100% agree.

Yeah it's way better to just not expose yourself to the risk.
Even when I was reckless enough to share I still got myself tested on the regular. These days I have an iron rule about not sharing. I only ever use sterile single - use needles, cups, etc.
Heck I even make sure I have sufficient supplies to not need to stick myself with the same needle twice if I miss on one attempt.