• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Severe Oxy WD - Should I go to the hospital?

evo4ever

Bluelighter
Hey all.

If I turned up at hospital with severe acute oxycodone withdrawal will they treat it? IE will they bring me out of WD? My Oxy use has spiralled out of control recently and I'm frequently running out of my prescription early. I live in the UK and I've got no idea how the hospitals here will deal with a patient presenting with severe oxy WD.

Advice apprecited!

Hey Evo! Long time no type??? Happy to see you. It is hard to accurately estimate how you will be treated if you go to the ED for Opioid withdrawal. Some docs wi be sympathetic and others might treat you like a dog for taking their attention away from "actual patients" (I have heard these exact words before in a hospital directed at another patient).

The UK is historically more liberal toward drug addiction and treatment than the US. You guys had a needle exchange back in '86 while across the pond, we were still busy re-enslaving Black people for the 3rd time in our nation's short history for Crack offenses. But I digress...

Be aware that if you go to the hospital and admit that you're running out of your script early, this will probably negatively effect your ability to get that script in the future.

If you do go, the likely outcome will be an admission into some kind of formal detox protocol and/or rehabilitation facility i.e. a 30 day program. You will probably be medicated with "comfort meds" like Clonidine (Catapres), Hydroxyzine (Atarax) etc. Your nausea will be managed with stuff like Ondansetron (Zofran) if required.

There will be some discretionary decisions made by your provider such as whether to continue Oxycodone or to attempt to initiate you into an Opioid Maintenance Therapy like either Methadone or Buprenorphine (Suboxone/Subutex). This decision will be partially up to you as well.

So, yes you can go to the hospital and they will treat you. They will not turn you away. The question is, is the treatment something that you ultimately want. It could screw up your prescriptions going forward. It can als on be a fairly uncomfortable experience despite the help of so-called comfort medications.

It will not be a golden ticket to feeling better. You're not going to get a shot of morphine when you check in and they're probably not going to give you Benzodiazepines either unless you're severely fucked up. It is a tough situation and a difficult decision. Let us know if we have covered everything or if you have any questions.

If you are really struggling and in a lot of pain, please go to the ER. If that is not an option for you or if they are not helping you (which I have found a lot in the past), I have several suggestions to ease your pain: Chamomile tea (drink that shit up, drink as much as you can), Iboprofen (3 x 200mg tablets, 3 times a day or whenever you feel pain, but ONLY after you've eaten some food), drink warm soup and start to incorporate solids such as bread and butter and meat when your stomach allows.
Allow your body to go through the writhing restless kicks period for the next 5-6 days. After that it will be much easier.

How much oxycodone are you in withdrawal from??

If you live in the UK cant you get some codeine or even morphine linctus to hold you over or taper off??

Avoid the hospital if possible would be my recommendation. Sounds like a headache, plus you're possibly exposing yourself to corona virus.

I went to the ER for withdrawals they gave me clonadine and then sent me to detox.

Wow are you going to call me a nazi on everyone of my comments??

What they will give you will help you to suffer less, but you won't be able to even get from a house/flat. You will need something for diarrhea, pain and energy to keep being fuctional

How much oxycodone are you in withdrawal from??

If you live in the UK cant you get some codeine or even morphine linctus to hold you over or taper off??

Avoid the hospital if possible would be my recommendation. Sounds like a headache, plus you're possibly exposing yourself to corona virus.

I'm on 120mg IR daily, but I'm taking more than this hence why im running out early. Yes I can get OTC codeine but it's compounded with APAP, the dose is tiny only 8mg, and your only allowed one box so no point.

High dose Loperamide works wonders for me but it's not very appropriate.

Last edited:
You must know someone who has Lyrica or Gabapentin, those alone will Stop any opiate withdrawal. Kratom too.

ou must know someone who has Lyrica or Gabapentin, those alone will Stop any opiate withdrawal.
That is patently false. They do fuck all for acute withdrawals. They can be helpful in the post-acute phase of withdrawal for sure, but don't get peoples hopes up, they won't even put a scratch in fresh, acute withdrawal symptoms.

That is patently false. They do fuck all for acute withdrawals. They can be helpful in the post-acute phase of withdrawal for sure, but don't get peoples hopes up, they won't even put a scratch in fresh, acute withdrawal symptoms.
This+Lope=Golden opiate wd combo

Yeah, any opiate is going to be great when going through opiate withdrawal, I agree 8)

For me on an personal/experienced lvl i find a combo of benzos, gabapentinoids, imodium and a muscle relaxtant to bring down wd from a 10/10 to 7/10 making it a bit more bearable and comforting in away.

this is not the gospel but what i have found to work for me when other options aren't available.

Sorry for late reply.

I'm prescribed Pregabalin too and im sorry it does nothing for acute oxy wds. I'm on my 4th day without any oxy and I've been taking 60mg of Loperamide every day since day 1 and I feel absolutely normal! The only symptom I've got is I feel slightly bored. I've slept every night for 12 hours and I'm eating normally. At times throughout the day I get somewhat drowsy I guess thats the Lope acting centrally, I think I better reduce to 40 or 50mg per day given Lopes long half-life.