• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Serotonin Syndrome Misinformation

This isn't anything new, most educated drug users know that the chance of developing SS isn't as high as many think and that serotonin syndrome is constantly thrown around when it's not even the core cause. It's certainly no myth though, serotonin syndrome is very real.

I still found it relevant. The article itself is new, and i see the term 'serotonin syndrome' thrown around quite a bit.

It's certainly no myth though, serotonin syndrome is very real.

I would ask a mod to please change the title. This is dangerous misinformation for people too lazy to actually read what is being said as SS is quite real. The title could state Serotinin Syndrome Misinformation

There is no myth. SS is very real. The only thing the article points out is that many cases were labeled as SS that weren't actually SS, it does NOT say that SS itself is a myth.

This sums the whole article up:

SS is a drug-induced phenomenon and usually results from the combined effects of 2 or more drugs. The diagnosis is now made primarily on the basis of adverse neuromuscular effects as found in the Hunter criteria. Many published purported cases of SS do not represent actual SS, and this has resulted in much misinformation in computerized drug interaction detection systems.

It is well known that multiple serotonergic agents can easily cause SS so don't be stupid and think that you can get away with it just because they are reclassifying the definition.

'They're' not reclassifying the definition; rather, this article provides a corrective to the tendency to classify all physiologically uncomfortable experiences caused by serotonergic agents as "serotonin syndrome".

ebola

I would ask a mod to please change the title. This is dangerous misinformation for people too lazy to actually read what is being said as SS is quite real. The title could state Serotinin Syndrome Misinformation

Normally, we are supposed to keep to the original article's title, but in this case, I agree with your point, so I have changed it.

I see it as similar to every case where someone drops acid then a few days later sees squiggly shit in their peripherals and claim HPPD.