• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Serotonin and wakefulness

Acidrefluxboy

Greenlighter
From a neurobiology perspective, why would a constant daily dose of an SSRI, 10 mg of Lexapro, cause extreme wakefuless during the first week of use, and then after a few days have the EXACT opposite effect (hypersomnia) thereafter?

I have always had a very rough time waking in the morning, which I wrote off as being just part of who I am, but experiencing these extremes on each side of the spectrum raises my curiosity about the science of this. (Minus the wakefulness, which was a very pleasant effect, I eventually experienced the exact same hypersomnia with a trial of Zoloft as well. I was patient for six weeks, but it never went away.). If someone could provide an explanation from neuroscience perspective why I might have experienced this, it would be much appreciated.

There's also a condition called Sleeping Beauty Syndrome or Kleine–Levin syndrome (KLS), but I wouldn't classify my hypersomia experience as being severe as that, but enough to impact my daily function.

Continued exposure to SSRIs causes a number of adaptations to occur, including downregulation of 5-HT1A and 5-HT2A. There are other changes that also occur downstream.