• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Seroquel

kcsteel

Greenlighter
I have been prescribed Seroquel for sleep and have been putting on a lot of weight because it makes me so hungry after taking it at night. I can't fit into my clothes anymore! Can anyone relate or know of some better alternatives?

We don't generally allow "what should I take" threads, but I'll leave this open for now so you can get some suggestions. What have you tried? Melatonin is one of the better OTC sleep meds. I know people who have had success with doxylamine. Trazadone is also a good non-addictive option

In my experience trazadone isn't a good one if you need to be functional, a Lot of people stay under well over 10 hours. I know when I tried it i slept for 6 hours, which is a miracle for me, but when I woke up I felt like a freightliner had hit me

In my experience trazadone isn't a good one if you need to be functional, a Lot of people stay under well over 10 hours. I know when I tried it i slept for 6 hours, which is a miracle for me, but when I woke up I felt like a freightliner had hit me

I personally didn't have that problem with trazadone

It's an odd one indeed. Some people react very well to it, like in your case others not so well, or too well

Cyproheptadine was good for a while for me. Other antihistamines too, such as diphenhydramine. Tolerance issues will make it unsustainable though.

Melatonin, magnesium supplements and maybe chamomile tea, if you're looking for a non-pharmaceutical route.

There's also mirtazapine, but that might make you gain weight too. Either way, I think you also end up building a tolerance to the hypnotic effects of both seroquel and mirtazapine.

I can't speak for quetiapine/Seroquel, but if you're just looking for a sleep-aid, there's a few OTC options. I mean, Seroquel makes you sleepy by blocking histamine in your brain*, which is the same as any anti-histamine. So diphenhydramine/Benadryl, or like Mr. Mobius said, doxylamine.

They all have side effects, but I think Seroquel has a worse profile. I used diphenhydramine for years, and as long as you stay around 50mg and get at least seven hours of sleep, there aren't any noticeable side effects (for me; one issue is I think it ruined my teeth by drying my mouth out every night).

As for drugs roughly in the same class, there are alternatives like hydroxyzine or doxepin. Just tell your doc it's not working out; there're plenty of options.

*and it's an alpha blocker.

My mum is having the same problem, if it's something that's bothering you a great deal I'd suggest you bring it up with your doctor. He might prescribe an appetite supressant, but being that many can induce psychosis I doubt it

I was put on a similar antipsychotic olanzapine and gained like 40 pounds over a few months.

In my experience every sleeping pill is inactive by comparison. I actually had to go down on it because I couldnt keep my eyes open during the day.

Maybe they can lower it my dose was halfed and it still knocks me out.

I was given trazadone but it didn't make me sleepy until the net day.

I was offered Seroquel in detox but didn't try it. I may ask for it this week if I go into w/ds from stopping suboxone.

I have been taking Robaxin for muscle spasms because that does keep me distracted and unable to sleep. I also take a lot of magnesium, bananas, and mega doses of vitamin C.