• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

seroquel

My psych doctor prescribed me Geodon a couple years back
and I'm bipolar, not psychotic. Seroquel was hellish for me too.
Way too harsh to me.

Well, with Bi-Polar, some episodes of mania can be considered psychosis which is one of the reasons it is prescribed for bi-polar, to prevent these episodes from occurring. Its also prescribed for the depression but mostly to curb the manic episodes. I'm bi-polar as well and prescribed Seroquel for my mania and sleep. The thing about my manic episodes is that I can get so much more done and feel on top of the world. I was able to start my own club with my own hands during my mania. I felt more unique. Now I feel more sedated and its harder to keep up.

How are anti-psychotics good for pain? Most likely the side effects would make the pain worse. I don't see how, in anyway, they would be useful for pain.

from what i've heard antipsychotics aren't used for pain by themselves or even at fully antipsychotic doses. they are used to "boost" the analgesic effect of opiates in a similar manner that certain antihistamines and antidepressants do. scopolamine is also used with opiates for the same purpose.

when it comes to boosting painkillers antipsychotics, some antidepressants(mostly tricyclics i think) and some antihistamines(to a lesser extent; hydroxyzine and other Rx antihistamines are usually used) all have a similar effect and is often sucessful at killing pain.

tricyclic antidepressants and antipsychotics can actually have pretty similar mechanisms, and tricyclics are commonly used to boost painkillers for certain cases of severe pain. it is this reason rehab clinic drug screens test for tricyclic antidepressants, as opiate abusers often use them to enhance the opiate's effects.

antipsychotics however are used less often as a analgesic booster than other drugs.

Well, with Bi-Polar, some episodes of mania can be considered psychosis which is one of the reasons it is prescribed for bi-polar, to prevent these episodes from occurring. Its also prescribed for the depression but mostly to curb the manic episodes. I'm bi-polar as well and prescribed Seroquel for my mania and sleep. The thing about my manic episodes is that I can get so much more done and feel on top of the world. I was able to start my own club with my own hands during my mania. I felt more unique. Now I feel more sedated and its harder to keep up.
Oh ok, thanks. That makes sense to me now. I really didn't like
the way seroquel made me feel - completely lethargic.

I know what you mean. I had to stop, it just made me non-productive, and I turned into a lazy alcoholic on Zyprexa.

Seroquel and Zyprexa were both mentioned today in my meeting with my new psych, I told him I wasn't interested in either and he understood pretty well.

Seroquel and Zyprexa were both mentioned today in my meeting with my new psych, I told him I wasn't interested in either and he understood pretty well.

I'm like that about lithium. My psych knows that every other drug out there would have to fail before I'd even consider it.