• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seroquel (Quetiapine) bioavailability? (Sub-lingual/Rectal)

snubi

Bluelighter
I couldnt find an answer to this anywhere.

i usually take 1 or 2 25mg seroquel at night. but for the last couple of days i have taken them sub-lingual instead.

And i experienced an insane increase in effects. stumbling all the time, walking in to things, not being able to walk straight, and mumbling. all that even after 10 hours of sleep or so

Wikipedia states that the oral bioavailability is 9%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetiapine

but what is the bioavailability using other ROA than oral for Quetiapine?

Picture of the pill
C3245C4W

Thanks in advance for any replies

yes it would increase the BA because its passing directly into your body and bypassing your stomach would be my guess>? i dont know how anyone can stand taking that stuff. when i was in rehab (both places as a matter of fact) they cram that shit down your throat and zombify you. that first day i must have slept for 16 hours after they gave it to me.

but its probably water soluble so if so, it would just be absorbed sublingually thus increasing the effect.

That would be my guess to, but as its 9% oral. i speculate that sublingual gives a massive boost to BA.

I honestly don't know why you would want to increase the effects of Suzy-q. It makes sense that the bioavailability is higher sublingualy than orally as with most drugs. Here are my findings that conflict with the 9% orally that Wikipedia states:

Absorption

Rapid absorption. T max is 1.5 h (immediate-release) and 6 h (ER). Bioavailability is 100%. Food increases the immediate-release C max and AUC by 25% and 15%, respectively. High-fat meal increases the ER C max and AUC by as much as 52% and 22%, respectively; however, a light meal has no effect. Steady-state concentrations are expected within 2 days.

Here's a link to another source claiming 100% bioavailability orally which fluctuates based on administration with or without food:

http://www.vidyya.com/2pdfs/seroquel.pdf

It's honestly nearly impossible to find accurate data on its bioavailability in any other route of administration as no one would ingest it other way than orally unless your imprisoned.

Sorry

Last edited:
Here's a link to another source claiming 100% bioavailability orally which fluctuates based on administration with or without food:

http://www.vidyya.com/2pdfs/seroquel.pdf

That source is stating the BA of the tablets as being equivalent to the solution, I'm pretty sure they mean an oral solution. So that would not actually be a "100%" BA as we normally measure it, which is as a comparison to injection. Not sure where your previous quote was from? All I've been able to find is sources that list BA as 100% when they are actually just talking about the relative BA between different oral formulations.

This source says:

The absolute bioavailability is unknown, but the relative bioavailability from orally administered tablets compared with a solution was nearly complete.

That study implies they don't have a comparison for IV in order to come up with an oral BA. Quetiapine is not normally injected. I think Wikipedia got the figure 9% from this source:
Absorption
A) Bioavailability
1) Oral: 9% (Goren & Levin, 1998)

Here is the original study they are referencing, but unfortunately I can't view it without paying: Quetiapine, an atypical antipsychotic. Goren JL, Levin GM.

That's the only one I can find on the BA of quetiapine as compared to IV, if the source referencing it is correct. Given that, I would not assume 9% is necessarily a correct figure.

I think it's impossible to find figures on the bioavailability of any other route of administration unfortunately. Even finding an accurate oral BA is very difficult, and there seems to be no info on sublingual or rectal. It is not intended to be used by those ROAs so there is no data. Please be careful snubi :)

You may be right about the second source as it was a long PDF and I just skimmed through it. Here is the link to my first source:

http://www.drugs.com/ppa/quetiapine-fumarate.html

I read one or two sources claiming ~100. Ill post the links when I find them.

Can you clarify what bearing an oral solution would have in comparison to oral tablet? IIRC tablet form and oral solution are nearly bioequivelant in most drugs. Eg:

Results: Of 24 subjects enrolled (mean age 27 years), 24 (16 men and 8 women) received the citalopram oral solution and 23 (15 men and 8 women) received the tablet; 1 subject discontinued before receiving the tablet. Citalopram was rapidly absorbed, with peak plasma concentrations occurring at ∼4 hours with both formulations. The rate and extent of absorption were similar between the 2 formulations, and no statistically significant differences were observed in half-life or oral clearance between formulations. Similarly, the pharmacokinetic profile for demethylcitalopram (the major metabolite of citalopram) did not differ between the 2 formulations. Both formulations were well tolerated, with no serious adverse events reported.

Conclusion: The oral solution and tablet formulations of citalopram 60 mg were determined to be bioequivalent in this population.

Last edited:
do you take this to help with insomnia? whats the reason behind wanting to take it sublingually..? was it so that it kicked in faster or..?

as for the bioavailiablity it's not well documented regarding what it really is apart from the oral route as there hasn't been a need to administer it in any other way.

i think perhaps why you felt the effects was because it entered your blood stream so much faster than usual and had a sort of "kick" effect and also probably because more was absorbed into your system as many other have stated.

While no definitive data has been presented on bioavailabilities, I think it's a very safe assumption that SL administration increases it, simply based on the effect you are experiencing.

If your reason for taking this is insomnia and you just need it to work more quickly for you, I think the safest choice is to simply plan a bit ahead, and dose once you are at home, but long enough before you actually want to be asleep. If this isn't possible and you proceed with the SL ROA, at the very least I would say half to quarter the dose and see if that helps with the nasty aftereffects in the morning.

While no definitive data has been presented on bioavailabilities, I think it's a very safe assumption that SL administration increases it, simply based on the effect you are experiencing.

If your reason for taking this is insomnia and you just need it to work more quickly for you, I think the safest choice is to simply plan a bit ahead, and dose once you are at home, but long enough before you actually want to be asleep. If this isn't possible and you proceed with the SL ROA, at the very least I would say half to quarter the dose and see if that helps with the nasty aftereffects in the morning.

Exactly what im planning to do, as i do take it for insomnia. and instead of waiting 30-45 minutes for the effects to kick in, Its just more convenient to take it SL as it kicks in within minutes. i will try to take a half tonight to see how it goes. thanks for all the replies.

And sorry for my bad grammar/spelling. English is not my native language

I was wondering if seroquil is water soluble. Not for iv but rectal. I just need to get a few hours of sleep before kids wake up. Lol. I?ve been awake since Friday morning. And will probably not be sleeping tonight. Iv methamphetamine. Just need a quick acting knockout for 2 to 3 hrs. I just realized what time it is. Fml. Have work on Monday morning. And just had a cup of coffee after finding and smoking a bowl of marijuana. Idk. Probably not a good idea. Lol. Fuck it. I hear babies. Fmlany info tho let me know. Wouldn?t mind going to sleep a few hours tho before work at 7 am Monday. I?ll be at a friends house too so I don?t mind not being ?wakeupable?(?) for a few hours. So they can do anything. Have to be awake nand drivesble at 530 or 545. Idk. Just to get maybe some sleep. Everybody now so do drugs on work nights. And kind of need to hide that a lil. Sorry for how long this is.

Kind of lookin for info soonish. I’d even be cool with trying to extract something and purify it n stuff from something otc. Idk. Anybody have any ideas please let me know

^ Not soluble enough for that purpose - and I’d be surprised if SL was faster on average

This is... a weird thread

Someone post something useful Ora mean Frog may come; He is known for closing threads that do not amuse him

He is also incredibly lazy - The risk is yours