• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Serious Blood & Vein Issues

DANKSICLE

Greenlighter
So I hate to be that guy that comes to the forum and expects someone to have the magic answer, but I would like some second opinions to see what my options are.

I've been a meth/heroin IV user for around 2 years. I'll be honest my hygiene has been horrible. Reusing rigs upwards of 30 or 40 times absolute no sterilization, letting them lay cap off in my drawer, not finishing a shot shooting it back into whatever and saving it for when I have nothing.. Etc. all the things you are not supposed to do so I'm not surprised at all this is happening. The past day I've been out of heroin so I've been shooting a significant amount more of meth. Well I took a fat shot a gram at least and ever since then my veins and blood have been acting strange. Now it's been a while since that shot, I've been to work, eaten, slept. Every shot I've tried to take so far is not working. Not only is it almost impossible to get the needle in a vein (they're hard) but when I do absolutely nothing at all registers. Normally I have shots prepared and I can hit a vein in a matter of seconds. I'm using a big gauge needle too.

So I guess this is the part that's concerning, my blood pressures staying around 180/110. Two days ago I hit an artery and said fuck it and took my chances. My feet, my hands, and pretty much my whole body is so abnormally reacting to even the slightest bit of cold air. I've been getting tingling sensations, all sorts of weird shit.

So I'm pretty positive it's Endocarditis, but then again im not a doctor, after all I shoot dope. I'm 20 years old, 5'11" 125 male. I know I need to see a doctor asap but if anything were to go wrong what scenarios should I expect? I'll go to doctor right after I figure out how to take another shot of black first. Unless of course it heals itself somehow. Thanks

Go to see a doctor or medical professional at a hospital immediately. Stay safe. You will not get into legal trouble for telling them how you inject drugs.

Seriously see a Dr. Tingling sensation usually goes hand in hand with numbness and circulation issues. Not saying that's your issue as not even the best Dr can diagnose you over the net based on your explanation, but it is something serious you need to rule out.

Go to see a doctor or medical professional at a hospital immediately. Stay safe. You will not get into legal trouble for telling them how you inject drugs.

180/110, take some benzos or beta-blockers by mouth if you have any and do what this guy said. It's probably just the fact that that one, one gram, shot will be in your system for so long, even if you have the tolerance. I'd say nothing bad would happen if you do get yourself some professional medical reassurance that you're all good.

Well, meth (like cocaine) is a vasoconstrictor --meaning it makes the veins constrict.

This alone makes it a lot harder to hit a vein. I know during some cocaine binges I went from easily hitting to being able to get nothing even though I should've been in. The vein opening gets so small that it's difficult to lay the needle in to get blood flow. You almost invariably push through the vein, bend the vein, or get in the vein but not cleanly where the blood can flow through the bevel. This is probably why you can't register and hit a shot.

You really don't want to shoot into an artery. There are all kinds of horror stories from that, and honestly that may be the cause of your issues more than the bad shooting hygiene. Not to mention it's kind of pointless, you're not going to get the high from it.

What's concerning is that you mention having circulation issues that are so bad that you are reacting to small amounts of cold air. This coupled with the blood pressure...well, you're a young guy with your whole life ahead of you and the smartest decision you can make here is to go get checked out. I can't really recall any situation where someone said "oh man I wish I didn't go to the ER". (Other than the wait of course...). If something is really wrong--those are the people that can help. And the sooner the better in most cases.

To me it doesn't sound like endocarditis (unless you have other symptoms you didn't say). But one of the consequences of arterial injection is that the substance can clog up the capillaries and lead to major circulation issues, gangrene, and amputation. It's IMPORTANT to get that checked and to be honest. Timely treatment can save your arm...

And if nothing is wrong and you just have some high blood pressure from stims, well then you still got peace of mind by going.

First a thanks for your responses. An update on how I'm doing is still pretty bad. Got a front on some black and tried hitting a shot all day but couldn't manage to hit or even register a single time. It's pretty late at the moment I'm not going to go tonight but tomorrow there's a good chance I will go to the ER because this time it's different. I'm probably going to stop banging shit for a little while, ice at least. I am not really that concerned but I am taking the matter seriously. If it weren't for my family I wouldn't go because I embrace that fact that we are all non physical beings having a physical experience. I appreciate the respectful input though, glad no one pulled the "change your life now" card on me cause I don't care. Well Usually I sleep and wake up all better, who knows maybe that'll happen. I will update for anyone who's interested tomorrow. Thanks again

180/110, take some benzos or beta-blockers by mouth if you have any.

Out of sheer luck I had a bar and a half so I took the half. Dropped it down to 167/99 or somewhere around there I forgot the exact number. Unfortunately Benzos are suprisingly hard to come by in my area. It just moved here and I'm broke right now so I will cherish every last square of my final bar.

Well, meth (like cocaine) is a vasoconstrictor
"oh man I wish I didn't go to the ER". (Other than the wait of course...).

Your reply was extremely helpful. It explains why I cannot hit the shot. Done trying I'm going to plug it and settle for that. I have a number of symptoms that I did not mention just because I was trying to keep as simple as possible. The main ones I'd have to bring up now are abnormal scabs and cuts that I honestly have no clue how they got on my left hand. My index finger in particular is the worst. Next I'd have to say is a shortness of breathe that isn't horrible but I can only describe it as if I am breathing to fast. Third is unbelievably painful lymph nodes in the groin with swelling on the side of of where my leg meets my testicles. Now the strangest one to me is water like mucous that drips out of my nose constantly and severe sinus issues. The last one I'm afraid is chest discomfort that's been constant for a while now. I am aware these are not good signs and most would say they are quite scary, I find it more interesting than anything. All seriousness I know it's nothing to mess around about. My next thoughts on this are that I'm close to having a heart attack (neck pain, jaw pain as well as shortness of breathe), or still endocarditis, fungal specifically. This may sound crazy but with the tingling sensations I swear I get goose bumps and hair that grows out of them within a matter of seconds. Although I do meth so I could be Trippen and people have told me i was have before. Which leads me too a little bit of humorous irony.

None of these symptoms are extremely new but they've never been so severe nor lasted this long. I'm not joking when I say I visited the ER 3 time last year for them and each time was discharged thinking to myself "I wish I had never even gone my family thinks I'm crazy" but I'll be honest they didn't take me serious at all and as a matter of fact they made me feel like total shit for coming. Kind of funny how medical professionals lack an understanding of how substance abuse tied in with mental illness is a more of medical issue of its own rather than a choice. That was in a different state though.

I would really like to know how you suggest I approach the ER situation. Could I go to urgent care instead? How do I keep it simple and prevent them from thinking I'm just all twacked out? What do you suggest I say? If you have any question about my symptoms they are much deeper than what I described but no need for all that unless you specifically wonder about any I didn't mention.

Oh yeah.. I forgot... The whole artery thing. Yeah uh don't ask how but I kinda hit the same one twice that day. I think I hit it about a year and a half ago as well. Probably the answer right there. If so what should I expect, or them to chop of my arm? If it's drug related does that disqualify me for some sort of gov disability? Lol jk. Sorry for the long read. Apprrciate ya

If you did hit an artery, *most* times it burns, hurts, and you basically waste the dose as it travels all throughout circulatory system before going to the brain. But sometimes the injected substance doesn't travel the whole way through and instead gets clogged up in the tiny capillaries or else spreads out into tissues that are supposed to be receiving sterile fresh blood. These are where the complications happen.

The reason I say get checked (and believe me I am the person who avoids doctors unless I really really have to go), is because if you did hit an artery and you did get some substance clogging up the capillaries---well, if treated early it can be dissolved/removed before tissue starts dying and gangrene comes and no choice is left but amputation. Maybe what's going on is unrelated. But you don't want to be a month down the road asking yourself *why* didn't I get checked...

As far as endocarditis, there are the common symptoms which also are present inlotsof other afflictions--chills/fever, aches, etc. Weight loss and blood in urine are some less common ones. I'm not a doctor, but linked a list of symptoms. Maybe it'll give you some peace of mind on that score

http://www.healthline.com/health/endocarditis#Overview1

Swollen lymph nodes are usually a sign of the body fighting an infection.

Congested sinuses can be a lot of things, even unrelated. On some IV cocaine binges I had congestion in my head that felt just like an ear infection. Went to urgent care and all--and they said it looked irritated and treated me, but down the road I realized it happened to me a lot in the situation

How to approach urgent care without them thinking you're tweaked out? Well, lol (obvious), don't go in there high on any stimulants. They can spot those symptoms a mile away. They are much more likely to take you seriously if you present sober...not rambling on for 10 minutes about each little thing. ;)

Oh, and as far as goosebumps/chill bumps and hair? They are actually your hair follicles and when cold or in fear there are these muscles called erector pili (sp) that cause the bump and the hair to stand up....so you're not growing hair/it's not just appearing. You most likely just noticed it for the fact it's now standing up ;)

I suggest making a list of the major symptoms that you are concerned about, including when you believe each one started (and in relation to your artery injection). That way you won't get off track...and while some issues can be treated without disclosing IV use, in your case I think you must disclose it, especially due to the recent artery injection

Hope that helps. If not let me know. But right now I have to run to work !