L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Serious advice please..

The Warden

Bluelighter
So I've been seeing this girl since my birthday a month ago. She likes me and I really like her. We've had some serious talks and we understand each other on many levels. We have shit tons in common. She got out of a relationship in March and doesn't want to get back into one so soon. I'm ok with that because I like and respect her. I don't want to lose her as either a friend or a partner in life and happiness.
My question is this: I know I've told her I'm ok with taking things slow but I keep moving things forward without intending to do so. I say too much too soon and say things she's been told by other guys. She as well as I have trust issues because of what people have put us through.
How do I keep myself from unintentionally moving too fast and saying too much?
I really need help with this subject because I know she is a person that I can be with for a very long time if I don't mess things up. I have tried not talking to her for a couple days a couple of times and it seemed like she thought I was pissed and didn't like her anymore. HELP PLEASE!

Don't play games. Especially if you've known her for a long time, just be straightforward and honest. The whole hard-to-get thing got old in high school. I will say- avoid "I love you". But everything else, "I care about you deeply" for example, is fair game. It sounds like you've already had some serious conversations and can be upfront with her. Has she said anything about you moving too fast?if not, she may secretly like it. If you stop caring suddenly, she may think you have lost interest. If she's already been through a traumatic relationship, the last thing you want to do is put her through hell trying to play it cool and act macho.

Well looky looky! What up Mr K?

This one is pretty simple homie. Change your focus and perception. From what you've said, you already have a deeper-than-friends relationship with her, so keep that thought at the front of your mind when you see yourself pushing her for more. Be satisfied with what you do have because it sounds like you two are already where you want it to be, minus the title of bf/gf.

"People want most what they can't have." She knows that you'll jump at her word "go" to placing the title on you two and in turn it's easier for her to keep that decision at an arms distance. That's exactly why it's driving you nuts into pushing the issue because it's something you want. She knows it's always right there so she has no concern of snatching it just yet. Force yourself not to talk about the bf/gf thing or behave in subtle ways that scream you want it by your body language that is outside the normal "we're not bf/gf" behavior for you two.

Pushing for something she doesn't want or isn't ready for will eventually push her the opposite way than you wanted. She'll end up feeling smothered or irritated. I've seen this scenario plenty in my "pushings" and "been pushed." Let it flow day by day homie. Don't focus on what you want for tomorrow with her because you'll look right past the satisfaction of what you have today, one moment at a time.

Thanks. We have talked about the way we feel about each other, I can't say I love her yet, that would for sure make her not want to be with me.
Mr. G, your advice will be taken and used. That's one thing she told me is that we should just take it one day at a time. Can't wait for SS3, gonna be crazier than a mental institution!

It sucks that she's going to Florida for almost two weeks on Tuesday. I want to hang out with her before she goes but she has a lot of things she has to do before she goes. I'm not the kind of guy that says she can't do this or can't hang out with her friends, but I want to see her so badly. I just want to be around her more. Her living on the opposite side of the valley when I'm home and me working an hour away from where she and I live, (not live together, but the valley we are in) makes it extremely hard for us to see each other for more than a few hours at a time.

I understand that you don't want to come on too strong or scare her away. You mentioned she had broken up with her ex in March. That's ample time in my opinion to get over it. But everyone moves at their own pace. I'm a woman so "playing hard to get" I've only done when I have reason to believe the guy's gonna burn me or already done me shitty in some way. It's hard to put yourself out there while getting mixed signals. Just take it slow because you've only been seing each other less than two months. Maybe ask her to let you know she got to Florida safe. Don't bombard her with calls or texts. Once in a while is okay and lets her know that you care.

Sometimes I feel like I text too much, other times I feel like I don't talk to her often enough. We do talk everyday, sometimes we talk for an hour, other times it's just on our lunch breaks. We have gone out on dates and I've told her how I feel, she didn't say no, she just said she wasn't ready. She just needs to find herself, which I also am in the process of doing. I feel so close to being me sometimes, then something happens and everything changes.. I'm just not sure if I'm doing too much for her and saying too much. We had a serious conversation about us last Thursday that really helped, but at the same time she said some things that I didn't want to hear or answer.

But then again I'm a guy, so what I know about girls versus what they know about themselves is like me comparing coloring books to fine art..

I'm not liking this "not ready" stuff and "needing to find herself" but then again, it's very early in your relationship. I'm not saying distance yourself from her but a little space goes a long way. See how she acts when she returns from her trip.

Well, she gets back this Thursday. Things are going well, haven't blown her phone up, we have talked, but not as much as when she was here. We're going on a date Friday, dinner somewhere. I'm excited to see her :)

I feel like no matter what I do or what I say I'm just messing things up. Like I'm destined to fail with women or something..

I feel like no matter what I do or what I say I'm just messing things up. Like I'm destined to fail with women or something..
Dude, you aren't destined to fail at anything. I have read all the posts and in my opinion you need to give her space and I mean lots of space!! I would bet anytime she calls or texts you break your neck to get that phone call or text. Find other things to occupy your time. Don't be at her beck and call. Love is like a drug. Go cold turkey and wait a day or two before you respond to her. Take it easy!! She may not be the right one. Stop trying so hard. Good luck

to be honest it sounds like shes stringing you along until she finds some one she considers better,really think about it if this relationship had any romance she wouldnt be holding back,she wouldnt be able too. if she cared for you she wouldnt want to risk losing you by keeping you at a distance!

go find some one who appreciates you as much as you appreciate them,you deserve better!!!

^ Agreed.

Okay, I'm going to be 100% honest with you. Please don't take it personal, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings.

In the past I've told guys I "wasn't ready" because I wasn't really that into them. If I'd really liked those guys saying that wouldn't have even crossed my mind. If you're down for someone, you're always ready.

And I'm sorry, but if her relationship ended in March then she's had plenty of time to get over it.
She's using that as an excuse to keep you at a distance.

From what I've read, it just sounds like she kinda likes you but she's not sure. That's not a good sign... if she really liked you then she would know that right away. If a guy comes along that she's sure about, she'll get over you.

I'm not into playing games, but you need to make her want you. It sounds like you're chasing her and being too clingy. You need to make her chase you a little bit. It's not about playing hard to get and all that. It's just that if you're always texting her and it's clear that you really want to be with her then she won't at any point be unsure on whether or not you like her... And that's a little boring, it takes some of the thrill out of it. She knows you'll be there no matter what and she doesn't have to chase you or even really decide if she likes you.

You need to not talk to her unless she hits you up. Don't reply to texts or answer calls right away. She needs to feel like you have your own life and you're off doing cool exciting things not waiting around for her to text you. Don't tell her you want to be with her, don't be all goey and romantic... let her come to you.

It seems shallow, but we want men not boys. And before we start dating someone the initial dating process needs to be exciting! And what makes it exciting is not knowing whether the guy is the right guy or if he likes you too.. and just getting to know someone new. And you're not dating yet so it shouldn't be like a relationship! That means you shouldn't talk every day or see each other every day or be clingy with each other or anything.

Just take a step back and focus on the rest of your life for a while and let her come to you. If she doesn't then she's not interested.

I'm not into playing games
Okay.
but you need to make her want you.
Would you not describe that as a game?
You need to make her chase you a little bit.
Okay.
It's not about playing hard to get and all that.
You appear to lack internal consistency twice in the space of half a paragraph, do YOU even know what you're trying to say?

It's just that if you're always texting her and it's clear that you really want to be with her then she won't at any point be unsure on whether or not you like her.
And that's a problem because? I dunno, I'd rather know someone likes me, than be unsure if they like me, or if they in fact want shank me in the kidney.

You need to not talk to her unless she hits you up.
Now, what happens if she pursues this same strategy? Imagine you're driving down the highway, and there is an oncoming vehicle, and both of decide "I'm going to wait for the other person to take action to avoid this collision" and you both stick to that, what happens?

Don't reply to texts or answer calls right away.

It's impossible to do that anyway. At minimum, any information travelling between spatially separated points must take the time of flight for something moving at velocity C. What do you define as an acceptable, contrived (i.e. playing a game, which you advised not to) delay to use?

She needs to feel like you have your own life and you're off doing cool exciting things

Then do cool exciting things and tell her about them?

not waiting around for her to text you.

I had the neatest experience the other day! K, so I was riding in a LAV-25 armoured vehicle as part of a little exercise on base right? (cool and exciting imo) so anyways, Ms.G texts me, and like -holy shit- I texted her back while still doing my cool exciting thing! I had this deep insight that I was able to both use a cellphone and do something else AT THE SAME!!! I am now writing an article to publish in Nature. I expect I will win a Nobel prize in Physics for this profound insight on the nature of reality.

Don't tell her you want to be with her.
Of course not, people respond admirably to cold, stand offish behaviour.

don't be all goey and romantic.
Better yet, make an active effort to be as abrasive and yet dismissive towards her at the same time, she'll love it!

but we want men not boys.
As I recall, the only time those two words are at all distinguished in a concrete way is that boys are pre-pubescent. Are you making the obvious statement that the majority of women are not pedophiles? If not, elaborate on your hidden meaning so people who are not you can understand it.

And before we start dating someone the initial dating process needs to be exciting!

Let me get this straight: So, temporally, an exciting period of dating needs to occur before the process of dating begins. This seems to violate causality and to be self negating. How can you have an "initial DATING process" while not "DATING"? on the very basic assumption that 1=1, so should the word dating=dating. Do you mean something else? If so, what, and how the hell was anyone suppose to tell?

and what makes it exciting is not knowing whether the guy is the right guy or if he likes you too

Really? I find that knowing that Ms.G/Nova/Sophie like me, and then going to parties with them/having kinky sex/getting high, without worrying about putting a facade up, much more exiting. The party/kinky sex/high is exciting, knowing they like me makes it fun instead of stressful.

And you're not dating yet so it shouldn't be like a relationship!

Define dating and define relationship pls? Like I consider me and my army buddy Scott to have a relationship, i.e. "Me and my friend Scott have a great relationship." or me and my and my Dad "The relationship between me and my Dad is strained" Note abstract use like "Doctor/patient relationship" or even "The relationship between a photon's wavelength and it's energy level is Energy=([Planck constant*speed of light] divided by[wavelength]) and is called "The Planck RELATION" Being someone's friend IS, by any meaningful measure, a RELATIONSHIP, and thus, to say that a relationship should not be like a relationship can be formalized as A NOT A. A statement which makes no sense and can be considered patent nonsense. Nothing can imply it's own negation.

That means you shouldn't talk every day or see each other every day or be clingy with each other or anything.

K, I'll keep that in mind, since like me and Sophie are just sorta geek friends who like sexy time, I guess I'll need to not hang out with her and talk ton her all the time. I mean, it's not caused any problems in the last few months, but since you seem so confident in your proposition, I'll try it by experiment and report back on if the magnitude of the measure of variable "frequency of sex" increases or decreases reducing my physical proximity(I'll do it as a continuous function with LIM-->5km) , and if we talk about more or less cool science by talking less often (quantitized into steps of 24 hours across a domain of 14 quanta).

Last edited:
Just take a step back and focus on the rest of your life for a while and let her come to you. If she doesn't then she's not interested.

i would say this is true, despite earlier answers having made some sense too.

i am actually guilty of this tonight. i really, really appreciate and love someone as a person. however, i think we would be horrible for each other in a relationship.

tonight he asked me when we were going to "make it official" because "warding off advances is becoming annoying" i said he didn't have to ward off any advances from women he wanted to take. i also told him i'm not ready to be in a relationship if i'm not on my meds.

all of it was because i am holding out hope of getting back together with the ex i never really fell out of love again. it seems it could happen and i can't delay things now by getting in a relationship. i also just don't think i should do this if i feel this way.

i was in love with my ex from nearly the first three times we hung out. i've known the other guy for almost two years.

imo he must be under 21 atara thats the only time i ever experienced women behaving the way he described.

I'm 25, things change from day to day. Somedays we don't talk, others we talk for most of the day. Sometimes she expresses her feelings and sometimes she doesn't.
I'm just going to live life one day at a time.