Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Separating NMT from DMT extractions

ronthetiger

Greenlighter
Hey all,
My friend recently extracted some DMT from Acacia Confusa root bark, using thick-light's A/B tek, and noticed something very odd with his final product which bothered him. He had 500 grams of this root bark, but because this was his first extraction using Acacia he decided to only use half of it in case he messed the extraction up as he did his first time on Mimosa. Eyeballing what he considered to be 'half' (or ~250 grams) he expected to yield, at most, around 2 grams of DMT.

However, my friend ended up, after more than one pull, with 4.6 grams of powder. He was afraid he had somehow gotten impurities in his final product so I offered to test it for him. His product was EXTREMELY white, the whitest spice I have ever seen in my entire life. The spice, however, did have a very 'waxy' consistency to it but was not oily or gooey at all.
Upon smoking 50mg of his DMT I noticed that there were almost no colorful visuals that dominated my previous DMT trips and I felt as if I had gone into an intense meditation-like state. I also noticed that I was physically drained and had a shaking sensation as I came down, as well as a 'stoned' feeling that lingered for a bit.

After doing some research I have found EXTREMELY similar experiences from people that had been administered NMT and concluded that, because my friend had used Acacia and not Mimosa, the NMT content was significant enough to overpower the DMT to a certain extent.
Here is the unofficial 'study.'

Does this conclusion sound about right? My friend's yield, I think, still seems a bit high.. but he could have possibly eye-balled the 250 grams incorrectly and used, at most, 300 or 340 grams instead.

Mainly out of curiosity, is there a way my friend could separate any NMT from the DMT so that he, and I, could experience both separately? I do miss the intense and colorful DMT visuals, but the experience is by no means less profound! I just like pretty colors =D

There's no easy way. Get some M. hostilis and try again.

Chromatography would seperate the two, but you need time, solvents, and equipment. You can also react the mixture with e.g. diethyl oxalate (NMT forms a less volatile addition compound) and then distill/sublime DMT out. There are also ways to convert the NMT to DMT, i.e. formaldehyde and formic acid (Eschweiler-Clarke reaction).

Last edited:
None at all? I'm sorry, but I do not believe that. I'm sure there is some differences in solubility of the two substances.

Perhaps it may even be smarter to oxidize the DMT mixture yielding DMT N-Oxide while keeping the NMT intact; the benefit of this is that DMT N-Oxide is soluble in water (whereas NMT is not) and insoluble in naphtha (whereas NMT is slightly).

Theoretically one could convert all the DMT in one's batch to DMT N-Oxide using hydrogen peroxide whilst leaving the NMT virtually unchanged, then one would simply pour the spice in a cup of water where all the DMT N-Oxide would be dissolved leaving only the NMT (and other impurities) laying on the bottom. From here one would filter the NMT out from the water, evaporate the water, and then convert the spice back to DMT somehow.

Surly someone before me has looked into this dilemma. I have read many an account of how people claim the spice from Acacia feels differently from the spice obtained from Mimosa, and it logically follows, to me, that one would then attempt to find the reason for the differences and isolate the compound causing the 'issue' out of sheer curiosity.

Does anyone know if the above separation procedure works in practice?

NMT is oxidised, too (to nitrones & N-hydroxy-N-methyltryptamine), under those conditions.

By the way, as evidenced by their very similar structures, the solubility of DMT and NMT in most solvents are very similar. Maybe you could fractionally crystallise it?

Last edited:
NMT forms N-oxides?...
Can you provide a source for that? I may be mistaken (I most often am) but I believe since NMT is a secondary amine it is incapable of forming N-oxides and thus would not be oxidized under those conditions.

I was actually thinking about that as I believe I once read NMT precipitated at slightly lower temperatures than DMT in naphtha.

That's the method I think I'll play around with first but I'm still not entirely convinced NMT forms oxides ;P

More research on my part needs to be done on the chemical structure of NMT (I'm a physicist, not a chemist) before I waste some good spice on my oxidation separation technique.
Off the top of your head, do you have any advice on what solvent would be best to use to allow for the largest temperature gap between the precipitation of NMT and DMT if I were to recrystallize the spice?