• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Semi regular meth use and the heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcole461

Bluelighter
So I have been using meth for 3 months lthough the past 2 weeks I have sort of binged. I do take care of myself as much as possible such as drinking water, eating, supplements, never going more than a night without sleep and sleeping at least 6 nights/week. I have been using everyday though for the past two weeks and I'm noticing my extremities getting cold (I know it's the meth). I had an ecg and labs a few days ago and everything was normal. However, I was smoking today and now I noticed, although my heart is beating faster as usual (around 90-100 bpm), my pulse and heart beat feel weaker. I could be imagining it, and I don't feel any pain, but could something be wrong?

Other than meth use, I don't do any drugs, and up until a few weeks ago I was running 5 times a week so am in pretty good shape. Anyway, I'm just looking for reassurance because I'd feel stupid going to the ER with no pain and saying I can't feel my heart beat lol

I could be imagining it, and I don't feel any pain, but could something be wrong?
Meth is hard on the heart, so something could easily be wrong. There is no way we can diagnose you from here.
Get help if you need it. Don't feel stupid - imagine how stupid you'd look if you ignored it and died, when getting help might have saved you.
Meth messes with my heart terribly. Don't underestimate its potential adverse effects.

Please check back in to let us know how you're doing.

Last edited:
So I took a shower and it helped warm my extremities. I also noticed my pulse was stronger so I'm guessing it just felt weak because of the vasoconstriction. I'm thinking of giving my body a week or 2 of rest from the stuff. Any advice for vasoconstriction? I took ibuprofen which I read is a vasodilator. What else can I do? I do have ativan (prescribed for me), would that help with the vasoconstriction?

Glad you seem better.
I strongly support your idea of taking a rest.
Like you, I am in good shape (running, biking, yoga, martial arts) but every time I use meth I feel it in my heart.
It's just not worth a heart attack.

The signs you are experiencing are almost normal, for that drug. I would take this as a sign to retire before you really have a habit. L- arginine and other substances act as a vascular dilator. There is more then just that one. The important thing to remember is to take your choice of vasodilator before you dose. When taken later, a lot of stress is put on the heart. Also keep hydrated via water and even Gatorade ( for the electrolytes ), as this will help you as well.

I have a history of heart problems, and not being able to "feel" your pulse is not a symptom of cardiac distress, it's a symptom of being dead...which you clearly are not. A couple of days should be enough for you to get back on track...eat a few meals, get some sleep, and relax for a bit. You're gonna be just fine, have fun and be safe.

Ok so here's my question, I went a few days without using, and my bp is back to normal (117/79). Obviously binging elevated it to unhealthy levels but I have a question for the future. My reason for doing meth is honestly to keep from feeling suicidal (sucidal thoughts and attempts BEFORE meth use so not a result of). I am familiar with people going too hard on meth and getting dehydrated, or overhydrating. But as a relatively healthy, younger person, I can't imagine it has done that much damage yet considering there are people that do it for 20-30 years. I don't want to have that be my story (for now, not feeling suicidal is great though), but if my bp is normal, my labs and stuff are good and am otherwise healthy, I shouldn't have anything to worry about for now right (assuming I keep my use to a minimum)? How can I reduce the damage that it does to my heart?

Ya man. I think what your experiencing is pretty normal with that drug. When its on your mind too and you worry about it alot, that will increase your heart rate.
But with the suicidal thoughts and depression you deal with is somethin you have to be careful of with meth. Your in the honey moon stage with meth and has you continue it might be different. Meth can have a very shitty side effect of overwhelming depression. Just be aware. Dont listen to your head.

Last edited:
So last Thursday I had a bad enough experience to scare me straight. I figured if people couldn't tell I was doing it, I was fine. How wrong I was. I went to the ER with a severe panic attack. Benzos did nothing, BP was 202/97 and I literally couldn't move (lack of CO2). Doc kept me for several hours to make sure I wasn't having any major heart issues (elevated troponin levels, non-specific ecg).

Celebrated my birthday yesterday, smoked some weed then went on a 7 mile run. I got a rush while running that I haven't had other than meth and I feel like if I can get it (mostly) naturally, then I don't really need drugs. So I can say my meth period is over.

Celebrated my birthday yesterday, smoked some weed then went on a 7 mile run. I got a rush while running that I haven't had other than meth and I feel like if I can get it (mostly) naturally, then I don't really need drugs. So I can say my meth period is over.
Good decision!

Watch your heart rate and how you feel. You strained your heart with meth and now your running. I agree that is a much better way to go and give yourself a natural high, but watch it. Make sure your heart gets a break before you really start working it.

Status
Not open for further replies.