• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Self medicating up to 60mg of mirtazipine?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Folk say it's less sedating and more activating at higher doses.

I didn't find this.

I was initially scripted it as a sleep aid at 15mg, then moved up to 30 and felt a large improvement.
Then 45 and another large improvement.

Regarding sedation, it just put me to sleep quicker.
It certainly wasn't less sedating.

So, saw my shrink yesterday, and he just wants to take the next 8 weeks to titrate me off effexor, coming down from 300mg, which bums me out cause, I feel I could probably to it in 4 weeks, and I'm super proactive about my treatment, so all that time just to get off one drug.
And I don't even know what he's gonna put me on next.
He said he would, "review me at that point".

I'm hoping for something that hits more receptors, like a tricyclic, and is noradrenaline heavy and serotinine light, like desipramine.
Cause SSRI's didn't do anything for me, and effexor, which is 30:1 in favor of serotinine, was only marginally better than lexapro.

But anyways, the point being, I want some functionality so, if another 15mg titration upwards in zispin can benefit me the way the other two titrations have, then, I'd like to see what it can do for me.

But then I'm sure there's a reason the max licensed dose is 45 - so I turn to the knowledge of, you guys.

Any insights?

yeah man. im on the same boat. im on 45 mg of remeron. i sleep like a baby but im scared as fuck about what this drug might do to me in the long run. if I try quitting, I literally can't sleep. that's the problem, I get 3 hours of sleep when not on the drug, and those 3 hours are really shitty sleep. so I don't know man. i think we need to check ourselves into the psych ward

hey man. plz do not titrate up! i don't know much about mirtazapine so I dare not fuck around with this shit. i think it will make our insomnia worse. like what is gonna happen if you take mirtazapine away? How are you gonna fall asleep then?

i don't have much experience with mitrazapine but it is considered more sedating in the lower doses. same with drugs like seroquel. the lower doses just smash your histamine receptors pretty hard. its pretty potent stuff, you prob don't want to take more than you have to. also youll run out if you are taking extra.

good luck going from 300 mg of effexor in 4-6 weeks. youre going to need it. if you are in hell, you might want to try a much more conservative taper. it is considered the most difficult SNRI to quit. it can get pretty bad and can last a long time. i would take it much slower but i don't like feeling like death for months on end. just me. to taper off of strong drugs it can take years to do it without doing lasting damage to yourself. thats just how it is. sucks most definitely but the alternative is pretty grim. get back to me after you start your taper and let me know how its going.

Interesting reading this. I'm prescribed 30mg mirtazapine a day, and it helps me sleep fine. Not sure whether it helps depression or not, I'm happy enough. I use it mainly because I'm nightmare insomniac without it.

I just accept I'll most likely be taking it forever. I've never noticed any side effects other than the dreaded weight gain. And I've run out numerous times, and don't notice any withdrawal except a bit of rebound insomnia, which seems fair enough.

I thought mirtazapine was one of the more innocuous antidepressants?

I went from 300mg of effexor down to 225, without feeling the slightest side effects.
It was just more sedating at 300, despite being activating at 225.

The sexual dysfunction vastly improved this time around at 225 also.
At 300, it was plain not happening.

Still though, not significant enough remission.
I don't see my shrink again until September, so I was thinking of trying of upping it to 300mg again, but take it at night instead, and maybe that would counter the induced fatigue.

First, I'll try going up to 60 mg of zispin, and see how that plays out.
Will report back.

Also, 45mg zispin puts my lights out for about 4 to 4.5 hours, at which time I wake up.
I was thinking of taking the other 15 dose like, 1.5 hours after the first 45, staggering it, so hopefully I'd get another hour or two sleep on top of what I'm already getting.
How great would that be!!

Sleep ROCKS! I wish you the best of luck. Coming off the benzos, I went through a period of approx 6 months where I was lucky to get 90 minutes of sleep a night. How I didn't go permanently insane I shall never know. Maybe I did.

the (Ki) binding affinity for a1 adrenergic receptor is 500 nm; for mAch 670; for 5HT7 265 -- but based on steady state values in the literature of 39-50 nm for 30 mg , 60 mg (80-100 nano molar assuming linear kinetics) won't likely bind to anything with any effect other than possibly 5HT7, but without digging up the concentration profile ??

But you will really be hitting above the Ki for all 5HT2a/b/c and 5HT3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine

Clinical doses of 120 mg have been recorded in the literature

120mg? That seems very high, I wonder what that was for? I've taken hard much before in wd desperation, it just me feel splatted and 'serotonin doped' for want of a better term.

120mg? That seems very high, I wonder what that was for? I've taken hard much before in wd desperation, it just me feel splatted and 'serotonin doped' for want of a better term.

Yeah, I took 60mg last night.
It's definitely not more activating, I can tell you that.

I feel a bit "doped" out of it at the moment.

I felt like this when I started zispin though.
Maybe it's as result of the titration.
I'll give it about a week, to see what effect it has ultimately.

But I have found in the past that, going above the licensed dose, does dope me out for sure.
30mg Lexapro left me a zombie.
300mg effexor (above 225), also zonked.

Last edited:
the (Ki) binding affinity for a1 adrenergic receptor is 500 nm; for mAch 670; for 5HT7 265 -- but based on steady state values in the literature of 39-50 nm for 30 mg , 60 mg (80-100 nano molar assuming linear kinetics) won't likely bind to anything with any effect other than possibly 5HT7, but without digging up the concentration profile ??

But you will really be hitting above the Ki for all 5HT2a/b/c and 5HT3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine

Clinical doses of 120 mg have been recorded in the literature

Do you study neuroscience or something?

I want to know how I go about self educating myself to this level...?

Do you study neuroscience or something?

I want to know how I go about self educating myself to this level...?

No I don't.

Not being a dick -- Google is your friend. There are tons of academic sites that explain this kind of stuff.

The way I started was reading a paper and going wtf does that mean? I think I'll find out ... rinse; repeat

Cheers.

Just to give me a head start, can you throw a few links at me?

Myself and google have an awkward relationship, kind of.
I try, but it doesn't always reciprocate as I'd like.

Utilize wikipedia. Google for research papers. Even scouring these boards will help you learn. You could conceivably learn the basics to understand a lot of this within a few hours.

What key words for google?

Just, "mirtazipine research papers?", something like that.

I've spent hours sifting through pages of shit trying to find some good info, so it's not been going well so far.

Wiki - just type in the drug names?

60 mills, and i ate better, and slept better, but wow - I am totally spaced.

I think this is gonna be an all day in bed day.

lmao at whoever said higher doses are "more activating".

I'm wondering would it pass after several days of use though.

Yeah I never got it either.

I've taken it up to 30mg and the higher doses were always more sedating for me.

Jeez - I stopped 60mg three days ago and went back to 45.

I'm still freakin' comatose.

I thought the half life of zispin was like, 36 hours.
Shouldn't I be back to normal at this point?