• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

self defense gun

fridgebuzz

Bluelighter
could use one to keep in a locked box in my apartment. i was thinking small like the kel-tec p11, smith&wesson 38 special or the glock 28. however shotguns and rifles aren't out of the question. something under $500. what do you all use?

Good to know. You're most certainly right about the walls. I've taken a gun safety course and I'm comfortable firing revolvers. Just wondering what reliable handguns people are pleased with whether or not they've had to use them. The local range rents out a selection of guns to fire, fairly expensively. I could perhaps get to know a reputable model before buying.

Get a glock. They never misfire and are very simple. The safety is even built into the trigger.

They have been around for several decades and are still superior to ANY pistol on the market. Most lightweight and effective one out there.

Check out the glock 19, I would recommend it to you since it is compact.

220px-GLOCK_19.JPG

See how simple it is? Well it still holds 15 rounds, so you get 15 chances to take care of business, not to mention it comes with two magazines.

It will be 50-100$ more than other guns, but well worth it.

I no longer own any- what I've used in the past, specifically, will not carry over to you as I simply used whatever I had the most training and experience with, and my situation differed from yours. What I will say is this: if you're going to get one, learn how to use it properly. Get professional instruction if possible (Frontsight is one example); if you have family/friends that are current or former LEO/MIL, spend a significant amount of time and ammo at the range with them running through the basic technique and drills. Follow this up with reading up on, and practicing basic tactics that are likely to come into play in your situation; movement, footwork, and situational awareness matters more than you can imagine. Know if/when you need it, it's likely going to be in a low-light situation, so choose your gear and train accordingly. Try to have a partner to at least run through room clearance drills with, at the very least using airsoft/paintball guns to get a "loose" feel for it; learn how to slice the pie, and learn that in general, attempting to clear rooms by yourself is a very risky proposition. I do not recommend you attempt it under any circumstances- I have a few years experience in this specific area and let's just say that I go to great lengths to avoid having to clear rooms by myself, even in full battle-rattle (Level IV plate carrier and a very capable select-fire carbine, among other niceties).

In short, don't get one if you aren't going to put in the time, money, and effort necessary to learn how to use it properly; you could get yourself and other people killed unnecessarily. Also consider this: you live in an apartment, and you plan on keeping it in a locked box. If someone were to kick in your door in while you were sleeping, what makes you think you could get it into action in time- and if you do, where you do think those rounds you manage to get off are going to end up? What are your walls made out of; are you particularly fond of any of your neighbors, because most loads I'd count on to stop a determined attacker would zip right through most modern buildings. Whatever you decide to do, do it smart, because anytime a gun is involved, it ups the ante. Oh, and since this is is bluelight, I thought I'd mention that possessing of a firearm (even if it is legal) while being in possession of drugs is a Federal Crime that carries a Mandatory Minimum 10 year sentence- just something to chew on. Stay safe

Oh wow I saw so happy to see this long and very well thought out blerb on gun safety and care. This user was spot on with the need for proper training and making sure you get the right gun for the job. People seem to think that if they just have a gun they are protected, but unless you know the gun, how to load it and what kind of stance to use to stablize yourself and consider what kind of kick a gun might have, you will likely end up missing.

And in a home invasion everything will happen so fast you may only have one or two chances to shoot.

I was happy to see though fridgbuzz that you immediately wanted a lock box for the gun. Smart thinking, just please be safe!

I'm wondering why you need one?

Is there a percieved threat because of the area you live in? The circles you move in? Personal history? Or just a general desire to feel protected because bad people do bad shit?

(Not necessarily trying to challenge or anything, just wondering as a white, middle class Australian who can't imagine ever needing a gun)

^ I am also completely puzzled. In saying that, my dad used to own guns, but handed them back during the amnesty just after the Port Arthur massacre.

I wouldn't get a gun.... Its just a bad idea and a lot of the times the person busting into your house has a gun also... Unless you have experience I'm pretty sure the guy or even girl will shoot you first before you get the chance to shoot them. I only say this because I know so many kids (even one of my friends) house who got invaded at in north philly (they all go to temple university a bad area) and one the guys usually don't come alone. Two they all have guns and three if you try to shoot them you're going to die... This girl I knew came home one day to all her guy roommates face down in the living room and she ran upstairs locking herself in her room. The guy ended up busting in and she didn't do anything but he pistol whipped her unconscious..... They then robbed them and this isn't just a one time story. Because of this kids do admit to having guns under their bed but in all reality how much safer does that make you? Actually pulling out a weapon could endanger you more... I mean if you were about to die no matter what it would help but still things can get real crazy. Also if you use drugs I don't think its a good idea ever to have a gun in a house.... I hear too many stories of someone accidentally shooting themselves or they're coming down and just end up shooting them own selves.

remember that with a gun comes responsibility. make sure you know how to use it and be aware of the possible things that could happen if wrongfully used.

you know what they say..

ppl with guns get shot.

I'm wondering why you need one?

Is there a percieved threat because of the area you live in? The circles you move in? Personal history? Or just a general desire to feel protected because bad people do bad shit?

(Not necessarily trying to challenge or anything, just wondering as a white, middle class Australian who can't imagine ever needing a gun)

as a middle-class American pacifist, i'd ask the same questions. additionally, though a lock-box would be a safe place to keep it, i wonder how that's going to help you in a self-defense situation that i imagine to be usually unforeseen.

"excuse me Mr. Robber Rapist, you startled me by your ambush. do you mind holding off on your plans to commit a potentially violent crime against me for about 5 minutes? i need to get my key to my lock-box, unlock my lock-box and retrieve the gun i intend to protect myself with."

I will never own a gun.

Ive always lived in safe neighborhoods and see them as more trouble than they are worth. Im a black belt in taekwondo, and while im not the biggest guy ever (6'1 170lbs) i can handle myself pretty well if it came down to a physical confrontation. If someone wants to threaten me with a weapon then TBH id rather just let them take what they want and let the police take care of it from there instead of forcing confrontation and having someone get hurt or killed.

Just my opinion though. I can see how different circumstances would lead someone to want to have a gun.

Ruger LCP .380 Auto. They run $350+ (US dollars).
001nmh.jpg

because it is super cute ;)

I feel safe where I live BUT if there is a threat of violence, the authorities are not going to get here in time.
I don't have children so guns are not kept in a lock box. They are loaded and in accessible places.

I wouldn't get a gun.... Its just a bad idea and a lot of the times the person busting into your house has a gun also... Unless you have experience I'm pretty sure the guy or even girl will shoot you first before you get the chance to shoot them. I only say this because I know so many kids (even one of my friends) house who got invaded at in north philly (they all go to temple university a bad area) and one the guys usually don't come alone. Two they all have guns and three if you try to shoot them you're going to die... This girl I knew came home one day to all her guy roommates face down in the living room and she ran upstairs locking herself in her room. The guy ended up busting in and she didn't do anything but he pistol whipped her unconscious..... They then robbed them and this isn't just a one time story. Because of this kids do admit to having guns under their bed but in all reality how much safer does that make you? Actually pulling out a weapon could endanger you more... I mean if you were about to die no matter what it would help but still things can get real crazy. Also if you use drugs I don't think its a good idea ever to have a gun in a house.... I hear too many stories of someone accidentally shooting themselves or they're coming down and just end up shooting them own selves.

Wrong thread for you then, so why even bother taking the time to post?

I'm not allowed by law to own a gun in this country as only natives may. If I needed a handgun badly I would go with the Glock mentioned already. Exquisite piece of weaponry.

I have to make do with damn mace and tazers - but don't like it. Something about locking up my bar at 4am, alone, with a months takings in my hip pocket . . .

shotguns are nice for home defence, because if armed robbers come into your home they likely have a pistol, so you have them outgunned.

the sound of racking a round into the chamber with a shotgun is loud and terrifying.

however pistols are cheap and make excellent CQC weapons due to their manoeuvrability.

if you get a weapon for self defence, learn to use it, and do not neglect continually maintaining your skill and weapon with periodic testing a training.

However if your not prepared to use it in a situation, then it becomes a liability. also firearms and drugs are a bad combination.

Wrong thread for you then, so why even bother taking the time to post?

I'm not allowed by law to own a gun in this country as only natives may. If I needed a handgun badly I would go with the Glock mentioned already. Exquisite piece of weaponry.

I have to make do with damn mace and tazers - but don't like it. Something about locking up my bar at 4am, alone, with a months takings in my hip pocket . . .

im curious to know more about your situation and feel it might be enlightening to the readers.

What country are you from? And who are the Native?

And Kayholed: You make a great point about the sound of someone cocking a shotgun. If i were a home invader and heard that i would shit my pants. And shot guns do have a better chance of hurting your attacking IF you can get to and cock it and what not.

Its also a bigger liability to have and harder to store. I knew a guy i worked for who has young kids(one boy about 5) and said that he kept a loaded shot gun under his bed for protection. I was so afraid that his son would find it one day thinking its a toy and shoot someone. Though in reality a shot gun is also too heavy for a 5 year pick up.

I'm Irish, but have lived outside the home country for near a decade.

I have a wife and family and a bar in Cambodia.

My dad has always kept his shotgun beside his bed while asleep - though his ammo was always kept in a high wardrobe cabinet that needed a step to reach. It's never been needed, but that man has a mean shot.

Get a glock. They never misfire and are very simple. The safety is even built into the trigger.

They have been around for several decades and are still superior to ANY pistol on the market. Most lightweight and effective one out there.

Check out the glock 19, I would recommend it to you since it is compact.

220px-GLOCK_19.JPG

See how simple it is? Well it still holds 15 rounds, so you get 15 chances to take care of business, not to mention it comes with two magazines.

It will be 50-100$ more than other guns, but well worth it.

Glocks kick weird.
for that reason, I'm not a fan.
Go with a revolver, S&W are my favorite from what I've used.
Kimber's 1911 is a pretty sweet piece as well. Fires a nice sized round (.45) and is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever fired, but it's not what you would call easy to conceal.

Ruger LCP .380 Auto. They run $350+ (US dollars).
001nmh.jpg

because it is super cute ;)

I feel safe where I live BUT if there is a threat of violence, the authorities are not going to get here in time.
I don't have children so guns are not kept in a lock box. They are loaded and in accessible places.
Ruger makes a nice piece as well, I've never personally used one, but I hear great things about them.

Why not clear your cash more regularly, and during the day?

My dad used to own a model 1911 colt .45. Only seven shots I think but its reliable and if it doesn't work you can always hit the guy with it lol.

But I gotta say in a home invasion situation a shotgun would be best.