• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Self-conscious while on my Adderall

littlesmg88

Greenlighter
My father and best friend can "tell" when I'm on my meds and give me crap about it. My dad and I fight and he is snappy and mean towards me and says things like I'm a drug addict or I'm high or speeding. My best friend told me she didn't want to be rude but she could tell when I'm on my meds. I asked how? What are the symptoms? She said my sleep pattern is messed up, I obsess over things like playing my computer game and I'm anti-social.
The real story: I was diagnosed with ADD and put on adderall 13 years ago. It helped tremendously. When I am on it I do notice about myself that I am antisocial, I like to be left alone and focus on doing my own things. I do spend an extreme amount of time playing my game BUT I also get things accomplished and it's the only time I am ever productive. I make daily to do lists and manage my time to still get things done and have my game time.
I have such a high tolerance therefore for the past 5 years have began to take them more than prescribed and run out early. But it seems like there is no in between. I'm either the way my dad and friend see me or I am the complete opposite (lazy, bored, sleeping non stop).
Cutting down my dose isn't an option because what I take now (20xr wears off in 4 hours 10 IR wears off in 2). Smaller doses don't have any effect on me.
I've developed self-conciousness of myself when I'm on them around anyone now because of my fathers attitude towards me.
Any advice?

I'd say start trying to taper a little if you're using more than prescribed, only thing you really can do.

It's completely normal. I get self-conscious and hyper focus on dumb shit. Adderall is the strongest prescription stimulant but known to be the worst for anxiety because of the levo amphetamine. I would rage so bad.

Exactly how much Amphetamine are you taking per day OP? I know you mentioned what "size" your pills are, but exactly how much of them are you currently taking. Dextroamphetamine in a controlled release package shouldn't be working for only 4 hours. This limited duration of effect is generally a sign of tolerance and hence, an indication that you should taper to regain the most utility out of your medication. It could also help normalize your social behavior. Stimulants can make us very pro-social, but when you use them for extended periods, the opposite can definitely be tru.

Have you looked into a Dextroamphetamine-only (non-racemic) form? This could potentially help with the anxiety. Also, you could consider trying an adjunct therapy like a low dose of a Benzodiazepine or even something like Clonidine.

I take benzos with my Adderall. Klonopin to be exact. And they work wonderfully combating the negative side effects lots of people get from taking amps with nothing else, just taking amps, like anxiety, social problems, and the comedown you get when it wears off. I think something like valium or klonopin taken along with the Adderall would help you out as it does with me, because those are long acting benzos and if you don't have a tolerance for them, low doses can last all day and help eliminate the problems some people run into with Adderall. So maybe try to get some benzos, mainly the longer acting ones like I posted above from your doctor too, and if your anything like I am with Adderall, they should help tremendously. Keep em at a low dose too because too many benzos taken with Adderall can counteract the effects of Adderall.