• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine Selegiline with cocaine

DTREE

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and i'm not sure this is the right section, please move the thread if this is the wrong section.

I started using selegeline a few weeks ago for extra motivation and anti aging.

Now, occasional every two months, there is the possibility I use cocain.
The high seems to be exact the same, only the hours and the day after it feels like this stuff is still in my system and I have problems focusing my eyes on things etc.

Now my question is, is it harmful to use this combination? Will I get more braindamage? And can I use selegiline the day after.

Thanks for reading,

DTREE

-This isn't appropriate for The Dark Side.
-Mixing cocaine with an MAOI is extremely dangerous. It can cause a hypertensive crisis and possibly kill you.

Do not mix cocaine and a MAOI.

Do not use the two drugs without going 14 days minimum without taking Selegiline. It's a strong MAOi and the last thing you want to do is do cocaine.

I would skip the cocaine altogether, it is no miracle drug nor is it worth stopping your anti-depressant.

i think we avoided a train crash in this thread. hopefully he comes back and reads this. using a MAOI with cocaine can be easily fatal.

Thanks for the replies!!
What about braindamage? because I had a terrible crash today, something I never have that hard..

There's no way to tell either way if you've got brain damage. Using cocaine with selegiline isn't going to just damage your brain, however...

As has been said before,

Do not use these two drugs together. In fact, don't use cocaine within two weeks of using selegiline. This combination of drugs can kill you.

Yeah, MAOI's can can greatly enhance substances that increase seretonin and dopamine, leading to hypertensive crisis, Psychosis and seretonin syndrome.

Not worth it.

Doesnt it depend on dose of selegiline? If one is below 10mg/day oral selegiline is selective for mao-b is it not?

I don't think it's safe to combine any amount of selegiline with cocaine.

Selegiline is a selective inhibitor of MAO-B at typical doses. MAO-B is responsible for breaking down dopamine and phenethylamine. Combining selegiline with any drug that increases dopamine levels could lead to severe hypertension and/or psychosis. That definitely includes cocaine. The risk of psychosis may be very high. I had a brief psychosis from elevated dopamine levels just from taking a prescribed med as prescribed:

I developed delusional parasitosis from bupropion/Wellbutrin maybe 2 days after having my dose increased. I thought there were worms under my skin. I could see them moving. I had to get them out. I wanted to go to the ER right then but my mom thought I was having a panic attack. I got to work trying to remove and kill them. I started by pulling off all scabs on my arms and some other body parts, thinking that there would be lots of worms underneath. I took a lancet (small needle used to prick fingers for blood glucose measurement) and tried to get the worms out. Started digging into my flesh. For some of the larger worms, I stuck the needle in at one end of the worm and slid it to the other end, making a shallow cut the length of the worm so that I could get the whole thing out. The longest were probably between 1/3 and 1/2 inch long. I made about a dozen cuts like that in addition to the places I picked at with the needle. I realized they were going to get in my brain and there were too many for me to stop. I screamed for help, freaking the fuck out. My mom was really concerned about what I was doing to myself and decided to take me to the ER. I kept trying to show the doctors the worms but they told me that there were none. They said the only thing they could see was small scratches and creases/lines on my skin that had dirt in them. They said my dopamine levels were too high from the bupropion. I was given injections of lorazepam and some antipsychotic. I continued trying to prove to them that the worms were real, trying hard to dig one out alive or at least intact for at least half an hour more before I considered that the doctors might be right. Another hour or so and I logically know there were no worms but can't quite get rid of the feeling that they might be there. Then I am released. I have severe anxiety that slowly fades. I am still having some thoughts about the worms and having other unusual thoughts when I go to bed. I had to take a lot of pills to get to sleep. I was back to normal by morning.

I can't say with complete certainty, but I think mixing cocaine with selegiline could result in much higher dopamine levels than therapeutic use of bupropion and therefore would be more likely to result in psychosis that could be much worse than what I experienced.

The interaction with cocaine would be less likely to be lethal than MAOI interactions that result in serotonin syndrome, from my understanding. The blood pressure elevation from excess dopamine is not as severe as that from an excess of norepinephrine in most cases, if I am not mistaken. That means mixing cocaine with an inhibitor of MAO-A would be even more dangerous, since cocaine inhibits the re-uptake of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin.

There is no safe MAOI to mix with cocaine.

There risk of serotonin syndrome from mixing selegiline with SSRIs or other serotonergics is very low as long as the dose of selegiline is not too high and the combination of selegiline with SSRIs has been used medically in treatment of refractory depression. I have been using it with the SSRI citalopram for about a week myself. Selegiline loses its selectivity with sufficiently high dose, so it is essential that you don't take a large dose of it with anything that interacts with an MAOI.

Also, selegiline has a short half-life. The half-life is 1.5 hours for a single oral dose or 9 hours for oral dose after chronic use. This means that you do not need nearly 14 days to get it out of your system. Assuming chronic use, 96.875% will be eliminated from the body after 45 hours. Keeping in mind that half-life is going to vary between people or even the same person at different times, you should be safe after 4-5 days even if you metabolize it very slowly.

Wow, i'm getting scared right now.. This was very stupid of me... I'm wondering if I really need the deprenyl, I read a lot of reviews about it, and I had much more expectations about this stuff. The first time I used it, it felt like I had taken an amphetamine, motivated, dreams etc. the amphetamine feeling was quiet unpleasand. That was the only time I felt i it really working. I used it sublingual, but most of the time oral.

generally selegiline was the only antidepressant that actually worked for me, and i'd take it gladly again if someone would be nice enough to prescribe it.
i never mixed it with cocaine, but i did mix it with GHB, and that was a fucking nightmare, confusion/psychosis included.

So you cannot use any recreative substance, like for example alcohol or ghb when on this stuff?

Here are some resources to read through regarding selegiline interactions:

General Entry - Selegiline - wikidoc

Wikipedia Entry for Monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) - list of general drug interactions

Erowid MAOI Vault : Summary of Interactions

Drugs.com Drug Interactions List - Selegiline

Selegiline - Interactions - Drugs - EverydayHealth.com

As selegiline is a MAOI (Wikipedia Entry, Erowid Vault, Bluelight Dangerous Combinations FAQ), any resource that mentions a drug interaction between the drug in question and MAOI means that there is an interaction between the drug in question an selegiline. I encourage you to exercise the absolute highest level of caution when mixing selegiline with any psychoactive substance.

Some more reading from...

Antidepressants and Recreational Drugs (long!)

MAOIs (2 subtypes: Irreversible and Reversible)

Irreversible N.B.: half-lives not included because they mean very little in the case of irreversible MAOIs.
-Selegiline (Deprenyl) [selective for MAO-B]

---------------

Recreational Drug Interactions
Alcohol: If you are taking a MAOI, it is best to avoid Chianti wine and vermouth, as well as imported beer and ale. Consumption of red, white, and port wine in quantities less than 120ml present little risk. Whisky and liqueurs such as Drambuie and Chartreuse have also caused reactions. Best to stick with drinks like vodka, gin, rum etc and to avoid imported beers and red wine.

GHB (and related substances),Benzos (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin etc) and Barbiturates: While you can take these drugs while on a MAOI, please be very careful when doing so and take LOW DOSES. MAOIs cause hypErtension while benzos/barbs cause hypOtension, and thus you can confuse and upset your heart rate, blood pressure etc by combining the two drugs.

Opiates (Heroin, Codeine, Vicodin, Oxy etc): It is NOT SAFE to use opiates while on a MAOI. Combining these drugs could lead to hyper or hypotensive crises, as well as respiratory complications. Avoid these drugs if you are taking a MAOI, PLEASE!

Ketamine: It is safe to use ketamine while taking a MAOI.

DXM (Dextromethorphan, Robotussin): This can be a very DANGEROUS combination! Do not take DXM and MAOIs together! Combining DXM with a MAOI can lead to too much serotonin in your brain, which can cause the potentially FATAL serotonin syndrome. If you are on a MAOI that is selective for MAO b, such as rasagiline or selegiline (l-deprenyl), then it is safe to use DXM.

MDMA/Ecstasy (includes MDA, MDEA etc): A VERY DANGEROUS combination. Do not roll while you are taking a MAOI. This leads to serotonin syndrome, a hypertensive crisis, and eventually death. A number of people have DIED from combining MDMA and a MAOI. DO NOT DO THIS! If you are on a MAOI that is selective for MAO b, however, such as rasagiline or selegiline (l-deprenyl), then it is safe to use MDMA, and in fact the MAO b inhibitors have been shown to reduce MDMA-related neurotoxicity. The same goes for the stimulants discussed in the next paragraph.

Amphetamines (Methamphetamine, Adderall, Dexedrine), Ritalin (methylphenidate), Cocaine, 4-MAR (4-methylaminorex, sometimes called 'ice' or 'euphoria'): Again, a DANGEROUS combination, pretty much like combining MDMA and a MAOI. Stay away from stimulants when taking a MAOI!

Hallucinogens (LSD/Acid, psilocybin/Shrooms, Tryptamines, 2-ct-2,DPT, DMT etc, Salvia): Apparently, people taking MAOIs are LESS sensitive to hallucinogens/tryptamines than normally. This is especially true with LSD. Interactions with the tryptamines and with salvia are not well established, so please be VERY CAREFUL when combining. Start out with a LOW DOSE and see how the drug affects you before proceeding.

---------------

Irreversible MAOIs If you are taking an irreversible MAOI, you need to abstain from drug for a week before starting your medication. If you are going OFF an irreversible MAOI, you need to avoid recreational drugs for THREE WEEKS. Please be careful and heed this advice, or severe medical problems and/or death are possible.

Selegiline is very selective for MAO-B so carries far fewer risks in combination than MAO-A inhbitors. Selegiline will potentiate amphetamine-type stimulants quite significantly as it stops them getting broken down but studies indicate that it may have no effect or even reduce the euphoria from cocaine.

Selegiline effects on cocaine-induced changes in medial temporal lobe metabolism and subjective ratings of euphoria.
Absence of acute cocaine interactions with the MAO-B inhibitor selegiline.