• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

selegiline : snort, oral, or sublingual?

klgdragon

Greenlighter
I really like selegiline and all of its positive effects on the body and such. Also using it as an enhancer (not quite potentiator) of things such as amphetamines and opiates.

My question is what is the most effective way to take selegiline? I've searched and searched but to no avail. I'm not necessarily saying there would be any recreational potential but was curious as to peoples thoughts on other routes of administration besides oral. Wikipedia only gives the bioavailability of oral and transdermal.

oral (fasted) = 4.4%
oral (after food) = 20%
patch (transdermal) = 18%

Also this could be a discussion on the different effects of selegiline with different routes of administration. I have personally tried most of them and personally feel that sublingual > intranasal > oral

What do you think about it?

(and yes I know the potential dangers of MAOI polydrug combos, but no issues yet)

i think intranasal bioavailability is kinda higher than oral, it would also have less effects on gut's MAO so it could be even safer in higher with doses with tyramine food.
bless

it would also have less effects on gut's MAO

I find this unlikely. If effectively absorbed in adequate amounts, the compound will circulate throughout the body.

ebola

Why would it? MAO is present in the digestive tract which is specifically designed to prevent molecules crossing back into it (otherwise we would lose all nutrients through diffusion). So MAO-B in the gut would be bypassed.

Your gut still has blood flow to it, and seg. is going to be in the blood. So gastric MAO-B will be inhibited anyway

Tyramine is not a problem with selective MAO-B inhibitors.

By the way if you use a high dose (>20mg per oral) selegiline loses its selectivity for MAO-B,

Why would it? MAO is present in the digestive tract which is specifically designed to prevent molecules crossing back into it (otherwise we would lose all nutrients through diffusion). So MAO-B in the gut would be bypassed.

Would we really lose all nutrients? They would only diffuse into the digestive tract if it had a lower concentration of nutrients than the body itself, which should only be possible when in starvation. Isn't the gut packed with nutrients in all other cases so nutriens diffuse out of it?

have been considering using selegeline to potentiate rx'd amphetamine, what doses have you found synergistic w/o risking hypertensive crisis?

I wrote an FAQ on it (check the wiki section). The short answer is that it is extremely dangerous, and you should not do it.

ebola

I've been taking 5mg (10mg some days) selegiline for 2 weeks now and I have combined it with: 5/10mg Ritalin, 15/20/25mg 2-FMA, and 20mg IAP. No unpleasant interactions. Roughly 1.5x-2x increase in potency for Ritalin, less for 2-FMA. Not sure about IAP. Mild-moderate duration increase for all.

GBL (1.5ml) however resulted in a mild psychotic episode, presumably from dopaminergic rebound. However that was a 10mg day and after cessation of use for 5 days I took 0.8ml and had mild (likely placebo) paranoia so I suspect the inhibitive effects of Selegiline are far shorter than is suspected and less severe.

EDIT: Just remembered I was taking Selegiline on an empty stomach as I was not aware that its bioavailbility was dependant on fat solubility. There is a good chance the above findings are totally invalid. Proceed with caution.

only if they are catabolized by MAO. The vast majority are not.

ebola

I've been taking 5mg (10mg some days) selegiline for 2 weeks now and I have combined it with: 5/10mg Ritalin, 15/20/25mg 2-FMA, and 20mg IAP. No unpleasant interactions. Roughly 1.5x-2x increase in potency for Ritalin, less for 2-FMA. Not sure about IAP. Mild-moderate duration increase for all.

GBL (1.5ml) however resulted in a mild psychotic episode, presumably from dopaminergic rebound. However that was a 10mg day and after cessation of use for 5 days I took 0.8ml and had mild (likely placebo) paranoia so I suspect the inhibitive effects of Selegiline are far shorter than is suspected and less severe.

EDIT: Just remembered I was taking Selegiline on an empty stomach as I was not aware that its bioavailbility was dependant on fat solubility. There is a good chance the above findings are totally invalid. Proceed with caution.

GHB doesnt cause a da rebound, everyone keeps repeating that crap, it is just rapid GABAB downregulation replicating a rapid short term withdrawal, withdrawing from gabaergics as you may have guessed can cause psychosis.

increased da by selegiline just makes psychosis more likely.

have been considering using selegeline to potentiate rx'd amphetamine, what doses have you found synergistic w/o risking hypertensive crisis?

It increases the ammount of dopamine transporters wich made some people notice a blunting of amphetamine, 5mg daily would be a good dose that would also reduce the cardiovascular effects of amphetamine, atleast it does in rodents so may depend what kind of specie you are.

The safety of selegiline is questionable as too high of a dose reduces the lifespan of rodents instead of extending it, its unclear whats too high for humans but 5mg increases mortality in parkinson patients wich may indicate 5mg is too high.

all of its positive effects on the body and such
If your a rodent and take the right dose sure, but humans with parkinson had increased mortality and in my opinion that doesnt show its good for the body, unless dying is healthy im unsure about that.

Last edited:
None AFAIK

MAO inhibitors would enhance the dopaminergic activity induced by opioid disinhibition in the VTA though
Thats what I thought, if any were it would likely be minimal at best. even if they were its not a great idea, I avoid mixing anything with maois (especially tramadol).