• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seizure prevention

Karbon1991

Bluelighter
I'm currently prescribed Citalopram 20mg for depression and anxiety and Tramadol 50mg for back pain. I understand there is a risk when mixing an SSRI with a SNRI, especially serotonin syndrome but I'm also aware that these are commonly prescribed together with no issues, but if I were to take something to lower the risk of having a seizure what would I have to take?
The pharmacy told me its a very small risk so it may just be my anxiety making me worry about it, but just knowing what I could take to prevent a seizure would perhaps alleviate my worry.

Levetiracetam (Keppra) is the best seizure med.

I have a brain tumor and take Levetiracetam for the seizures which happen often.

this would be a script from a Dr. tho.

taking big amounts of tramadol isnt safe keep your dose at 50mg if it helps
and yeah they can be used together
its your own anxiety making you think about it more than you should

listen, I know A LOT about seizures, and there are many things being left out based on your initial post.

have you ever had a seizure? do randoms parts of your body twist/move throughout the day? what makes you think of this? if the pharmacy/Dr. are telling you there is a very small risk, then there should be no worries, unless you are abusing the drugs in a different way than you mention.

based on your initial post you have NOTHING to worry about unless something like this runs in the family; I am not sure what gives you the idea of the seizures and whatnot.

My daily dose of Tramadol is 400mg sorry I should have mentioned that before. I'm unsure why I'm worried. Perhaps my anxiety as stated. Maybe I read a little to much. No random parts of my body doesn't twist/move through the day, I sometimes have involuntary movements but nothing too alarming. I've never had a seizure and I don't believe it runs in the family. Maybe I'm just over thinking things. I'm sorry to hear you have a tumor. I wish you the best.

My daily dose of Tramadol is 400mg sorry I should have mentioned that before. I'm unsure why I'm worried. Perhaps my anxiety as stated. Maybe I read a little to much. No random parts of my body doesn't twist/move through the day, I sometimes have involuntary movements but nothing too alarming. I've never had a seizure and I don't believe it runs in the family. Maybe I'm just over thinking things. I'm sorry to hear you have a tumor. I wish you the best.

Think this is your answer. You are at the max dose of tramadol but with no history of seizures, it is very unlikely anything will happen. The question of what to take to prevent is impossible to answer because you dont know what type of seizure you would have (not all meds work for all types of seizures) and no doctor would add an antiepileptic med for no good reason.

seriously, you have no worries. you are on an antidepressant and a pain killer; so yes, if you want to read the worst when it comes to combining both drugs, I am sure there a ton of stories out there that will scare the shit out of you; same goes for me, I am on so many medications that if you were to take what I take as my daily medication you would OD.

but you are on those meds for a reasons; so listen to your Dr. and do not worry. do not come up w/ you own problems and have those get to you. realize you are doing absolutely fine unless there is something you are not telling us. seizures are not something to worry about w/ the combination of drugs you are combining. yes, there is always that chance but they are VERY, VERY slim chances based on what I have just read, so you should not worry whatsoever.