• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Seizure like cramps after consuming THC while taking St. Johns Wort?

Amml

Bluelighter
Hey,
I wanted to share a really bad experience that happened to me twice in the last year while smoking weed and taking st. johns wort and maybe someone knows what could have happened.

The first time it happened was at my friends home. At that point I was regularly drinking st. johns wort tea and was invited to smoke some weed with him and a friend. We shared a joint with highly potent weed (homegrown) and I took a few hits. Normally this dose knocks me out for a few hours but before that nothing major bad like this had happened. A few minutes later we went inside and I began feeling bad. I told my friend that I wasn't feeling that well and he took me to the toilet where I had to vomit a lot (also never happened to me before). After that I felt a bit better and went back to the living room and laid on the couch.

Then I began getting colder and colder and grabbed myself a blanket to warm me up, but it didn't help. This uncomfortable feeling got worse and I stared to shiver. The shivering got stronger very fast and after a few seconds I couldn't control my muscles anymore and my whole body began to shake very intensive. I was fully aware what was happening to me. After about 2-3 minutes the shaking stopped and my friends just gave me a really scared look because of that. A few minutes later the same cycle started again and came twice. The third time I think I went unconscious because I just can remember the beginning of it. They told me afterwards that I fell asleep and they carried me upstairs into my friends bed.

The second time happened at home about 9 months later. At this point I was taking a low dosed st. johns wort extract on a daily basis. I smoked a high dose (for me about 0,1g weed vaporized) together with some CBD weed and after a few minutes I had the same shaking as in the first incidence, but this time without vomiting, and it also wasn't that extreme, just very uncomfortable.

What is strange in my view beside this reaction is that I have smoked a much higher dose about 2 weeks before the second episode (same weed, also with st. johns wort), but it felt completely different, my muscles and my body even felt very relaxed. What I also have noticed is that both episodes happened at nighttime (after 11 p.m.), while at daytime this never happened. Maybe this could be relevant…

My first thought is hypoglycemia, because I never heard of anyone getting epileptic seizures from weed (I think that I wouldn't be aware what was happening if it was epileptic) and I also haven't eaten before the episodes, but I heard that THC could lower blood sugar levels, some maybe this could be a reason?
Does anyone have an idea what the trigger could be?

Btw sorry for my bad writing, I'm really tired but just needed to write this down

Thanks,
Amml

Last edited:
I've never heard of this before but it sounds damn scary. :( So this never happened when you were not on St John's wort?

Never and I also smoked several times while I took st. johns wort and nothing happened…

You mean muscle spasms? Seizures are pretty violent and cause the entire body to lock up uncontrollably. Usually people go unconscious as well.. unless you were on the ground kicking and shaking uncontrollably while trying to swallow your tongue it would probably be considered spasms..

Do you have a low tolerance? Nausea, vomiting and spasms can all result from smoking too much weed and are more common with low tolerances.

You mean muscle spasms? Seizures are pretty violent and cause the entire body to lock up uncontrollably. Usually people go unconscious as well.. unless you were on the ground kicking and shaking uncontrollably while trying to swallow your tongue it would probably be considered spasms..

Do you have a low tolerance? Nausea, vomiting and spasms can all result from smoking too much weed and are more common with low tolerances.

I‘m not quite sure what it was. It started like the shaking that you get when you are very cold but then eventually got a lower frequency (maybe 4-5 spasms per second), also was stronger, like my body was jumping on the couch and spread throughout the whole body. The best way to describe it is when you try to not move when you are shivering from coldness but you can’t, this in your whole body and much stronger. When such an episode ended the shakings became slower (about 1x second) before they stopped.
So how you describe it it would fit more to a spasm.

My tolerance is very low. I usually get high with doses of THC of about 0,1g smoked. That is enough for me to get me spaced out for several hours, while most of my friends can smoke about 5x of that amount without tolerance and are still reacting pretty normal. I guess I‘m just very sensitive to THC in general.

I have never had spasm on weed and I've whited out on the strongest their is are u sure that's weed ur talking about and not spice?

I have never had spasm on weed and I've whited out on the strongest their is are u sure that's weed ur talking about and not spice?

100% sure both time was homegrown from a friend, to be precise the first time it was jack herer and the second time whiteberry together with a pure CBD strain (about 10% CBD)

Last edited:
I‘m not quite sure what it was. It started like the shaking that you get when you are very cold but then eventually got a lower frequency (maybe 4-5 spasms per second), also was stronger, like my body was jumping on the couch and spread throughout the whole body. The best way to describe it is when you try to not move when you are shivering from coldness but you can’t, this in your whole body and much stronger. When such an episode ended the shakings became slower (about 1x second) before they stopped.
So how you describe it it would fit more to a spasm.

My tolerance is very low. I usually get high with doses of THC of about 0,1g smoked. That is enough for me to get me spaced out for several hours, while most of my friends can smoke about 5x of that amount without tolerance and are still reacting pretty normal. I guess I‘m just very sensitive to THC in general.

I've experienced something like you describe and heard others talk about it. Some people get "twitchy". Does it almost feel like nervous shakes mixed with cold shivers?

Try smoking less is my thought.

Do you know anything about st. john wort? What's the active ingredient and how does it act on the body?

Yes it feels like that.
The main active ingredient is hyperforin, it acts in several different ways but it's main action is a reuptake inhibition of Norepinephrine, Dopamine, GABA and Serotonin.
You will find more information on the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypericum_perforatum#Mechanism_of_action
It always worked well for me and I never experienced any side effects beside increased light sensitivity.

It doesn't seem to have any known drug interactions, but I'm by no means an expert on the subject. It seems possible that the two have synergistic effects causing increased stimulation leading to anxiety. But what you are describing could also just be a side effect from cannabis IME.

Have you tried smoking without taking st. john wort?

It doesn't seem to have any known drug interactions, but I'm by no means an expert on the subject. It seems possible that the two have synergistic effects causing increased stimulation leading to anxiety. But what you are describing could also just be a side effect from cannabis IME.

Have you tried smoking without taking st. john wort?

Yes, before taking it I never experienced something like that, but I have also smoked about 100x while on st. johns wort and nothing happened. I also see the link with anxiety, because in both cases I mentally felt bad before smoking it.