Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Seeking information regarding Mirtazapine + Mushrooms/LSD

hashbrowns

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelighters,

I have been taking the Antidepressant Mirtazapine (Remeron, Avanza, Zispin), and am having much trouble finding information regarding its use in combination with psychedelics. Mirtazapine is an interesting AD because of its unique mechanism of action. Information pertaining to its use with psychedelics is very hard to find and I am hoping someone might find this thread and be able to share their experiences.

Personally, I have ingested 7 grams of mushrooms while on Mirtazapine. I had been taking 15mgs daily for about 50 days when this experience took place. I noticed no adverse effects from the combination, in fact, I had the most incredible trip I have ever had up to this point. Visuals included everything from shadows crawling, morphing, and creeping up on me, to geometric patterns taking over my entire visual field. Emotionally I was the most euphoric I have ever felt, at one point even allowing tears of joy to stream down my face. Most of the night was spent talking with my roommate and watching cartoons in between fits of maniacal laughter. My roommate also ingested mushrooms, but both the intensity and duration of his trip was greatly reduced in comparison due to him not eating all of his mushrooms at once and being on SSRIs.

I am interested in any information you may have on this AD in combination with Mushrooms or LSD. I have found only conflicting information, ranging from an ER visit after ingesting shrooms to it completely blocking the affects of LSD. Thank You in advance for any information you can contribute.

I found that Mirtaz stopped LSD/Mushrooms and Tryptamines from working :( however I seem to be almost alone in this happening. I have seen conflicting reports also :s

I think part of mirtazapines action is 5HT2A antagonism, so it makes sense that it would dull the effects of most serotonergic psychedelics. I have no first hand experience though.

Last edited:
Yep, it seems to have affinity for many receptors so it stands to reason that there would be tolerance as well as binding site competition.

However there are a fair amount of user reports that some people have had dramatically increased responses to psychedelics!

It was on wiki but it seems to have been removed and I can't find any of the old threads now. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me. Phenethylamines always worked as normal for me where as LSD, Mushrooms and other Tryptamines (including smoked 50mg DMT) had little to no effect. Usually just above threshold no matter the dose but with increased side effects and body load.

From first hand experience I would say mirtazapine diminishes the effects of phychedelics. Need a much larger dose of mushrooms to have any effect and MDMA seems to have no euphoria only stimulation. This was from pure crystal not pressed pills. I have experience with crystal meth as well and I know the crystal wasn't that due to its colour and structure when viewed at 100x magnification. If you decide to stop taking your mirtazapine to trip, which I wouldn't advise, at least the withdrawals from mirtazapine are not nearly as bad as SSRI's.

I am new to bluelight as a member, but have used the site for many years for information (and misinformation unfortunately).
As I am not well educated in chemistry, I won't be able to explain what I am addressing very well. I do understand far more of it (medicine/roles of neurotransmitters) than most and am pretty familiar with many drugs and their basic mechanisms (especially psychiatric and narcotic drugs), for instance, I could tell you what an NDRI is and name several, or what the difference is between Akathisia and Tardive Dyskinesia is, what to avoid combining, etc.; but I get lost at a certain points when the terminology becomes long-winded and the content is beyond my education. The nature of the topic below is very hard to find information for online. What I need is a detailed scientific explanation, or at least an idea of may have occurred chemically/psychoactively.

Anyhow, I suppose I cannot create a post yet? Either way this is regarding Mirtazapine mainly, and I searched for it multiple times only to bring up totally different threads, unrelated to my search. Finally this thread mentioned it, and for some reason the closest thing I could find to an appropriate place to ask this is here. I have a detailed report of my experience, but as I am sure someone could instruct me on the proper place to ask this, I have abbreviated and boiled it down as far as possible. If one of you kind folks can provide the specific information I'm seeking and decides to reply/assist, I will provide you with more details, but here is a brief backstory and subsequent event:

I started taking Mirtazapine recently to replace both Trazodone AND Lorazapam (tired of side effects of Trazodone; Doctor is being pressured to reduce how much he writes benzodiazepines) for sleep, GAD, social anxiety, both because I simply heard good things about it, and (mostly) because I had a depression flare up and want to avoid increasing my Seroquel dose (for the sake of long-term efficacy/slow increase of dosage-I have basically no negative side-effects and it is a miracle for my slow-cycling Bipolar Disorder w/psychotic features-dose is 600-750mgs XR/day, depending on mania flare-ups), even though it is AMAZING for depression (for me personally) and actually CLEARS my brain fog and improves my cognition. I suppose I should mention that, aside from the Mirtazapine and Quetiapine I also take Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) 60 mgs/day (yes, I am aware that anti-psychotics tend to block Amphetamines, but I have no issue with this). Both the Seroquel (taken 3 hours or so before sleep) and the Vyvanse (taken upon waking) are absolutely necessary for me to properly function and lead any sort of productive life. I hate that I am feeding big Pharma, but I cannot deny how much these two drugs have helped me over the years. As mentioned, I added Mirtazapine, and it too has been OUTSTANDING, and for me, a superior anti-anxiety agent to benzodiazapines and as mood lifting as really good weed or even a very low dose of a typical psychadelic. After 2 weeks now, I am less impressed, but DEFINITELY found it a great replacement for Trazodone and Lorazepam. The only drawback is that it supposedly causes a cross tolerance with psychadelics and blocks the high (more or less) of some drugs of abuse (ones I OCCASIONALLY partake in). However this will end up being a good thing, as I already have mysterious tolerances and am over abusing anything (unless you consider weed to be something "abusable"..haha). Ten or so days passed, and finally, I come to yesterday and the interaction in question. It's not detailed or well explained at all, as I said, ask for details.

I took 1,200mg gabapentin for pain. Nowhere close to my rec. dose . Took cimetidine to potentiate some xans I was getting soon after. (nvr used it as a potentiator b4) took 15mgs mirtazapine (this in am-pm i take 30mgs) and didnt take my vyvanse (woke up too late). took all that at once thinking nothing of it. 30 mins later I felt a definite, I mean, Ive done H, opana, etc, and this was a DEFINITE opiate/opiod feeling (ichiness,miosis,warm fuzzy body buzz, moderate euphoria, pain relief, and opiate like energy). I know it was NOT the gaba as I had already taken the two together TWICE w/no difference, and it was NOT the first time I missed a vyvanse dose since i started it. My only explanation is that whatever downstream opiate effects from mirtaz i read about are, and cimetidines potentiation of opiates through cyp2d6 someone when combined "transform"? it? Is it like cocaine and alcohol forming cocaethylamine or what? This is not placebo! someone please explain this! or try! thank you!!!!!

EDIT: i didnt get ANYWHERE close to this effect from mirtazapine alone, even from the very first dose.

Last edited:
Mirtazapine is a weak partial KOR agonist and cimetidine interacts with it, likely increasing levels and inhibiting / changing the metabolism a bit. It's possible the interaction really ramped up this potential.

I think effects are not downstream and no adduct like cocaethylene is formed, if anything there may be other metabolites favored that are perhaps more of an opioid. A good question though is where the itching came from as this is not really expected from a KOR agonist and antagonism on both H1 and H2. The energy may have come from NE. I guess the gabapentin did make it a bit more fuzzy and enjoyable though. Maybe there was also some other non KOR opioid effect involved, like from a metabolite... that offset the KOR dysphoria etc.

I hope you don't get that akathisia you are able to identify, from the mirtazapine.. that was one of the main things that eventually turned me off of it.

FWIW i don't think taking meds like cimetidine that interact with your polypharmacy, for that purpose, is such a smart idea... makes it much harder to keep track of safety of that polypharmacy.
But I am a fan of my dex and pregabalin scripts yeah :) [thats all though]

Last edited:
It’s wild I been wondering this because I’ve been smoking dmt lately. While on 30mg of mirtazapine and it’s been working great.

so it’s been making me wanna trip on mushrooms and look uponline like this to see if it will work or not.
But one friend of mine thinks that maybe dmt is so powerful it can bust through my mirtazapine or something. Idk