• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Second Teen Dies After Drinking "Dewshine"

jessimessi

Greenlighter
Second Teen Dies After Drinking "Dewshine"

A mixture of Mountain Dew and racing fuel, called "dewshine," could be to blame for the deaths of two Greenbrier teenagers, whose cases are among the first reported in Tennessee, according to health officials.

To date, there have been four cases, all originating from Robertson County, involving the possible consumption of "dewshine" as reported to the Tennessee Poison Center at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, according to medical director Dr. Donna Seger.

All four cases were reported in the past week.

“They thought they knew what it was, that it was a substitute for alcohol,” Seger said. “They thought they would get the same effects as alcohol, but they weren’t aware of how toxic it was.”

THE TENNESSEAN
The deadly danger of 'dewshine'

Racing fuel, used in drag racing, is made up of almost 100 percent methanol, a non-drinkable form of alcohol used for industrial and automotive purposes, Seger said.

Initially, methanol can give the same effects as ethanol, which is used in the production of alcoholic beverages, but over time, it can result in symptoms ranging from blurred vision, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea to seizures, blindness, coma and death, depending on the amount and concentration of the methanol that was consumed, Seger said.

THE TENNESSEAN
Second teen dies after drinking racing fuel mixed with soda

Methanol is extremely poisonous and as little as two tablespoons can be deadly to a child, according to the National Institutes of Health website.

About two to eight ounces can be deadly for an adult, and the success of treatment is often determined by how much poison a person swallowed and how soon he or she received medical attention, the website said.

Heath workers are not aware of how prevalent dewshine consumption is among Tennesseans, Seger said.

“These two deaths have brought it to our attention,” she said. “We have to try to make sure that adolescents are aware of the toxicity. Kids usually communicate more among themselves, and we need to make more kids aware of this, statewide.”

Here is the link http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ter-drinking-racing-fuel-mixed-soda/79344968/

Wow, this is so sad and such a shame. If only they'd done more research they would've realized what it actually was.they were planning on ingesting.

I know, and even sadder is that absolutely NO adults knew anything about this at all, so no steps could be taken to prevent this tragedy. Kids will find a way, and sadly - sometimes this is the result.

'speechless' :?

perhaps go back to sucking on exhaust pipes...

Having a son just rolling into adolescence shit like this is scary. Im sure there is some good evolutionary reason to have younbg teanagers dumb as stone, but thinking they know it all.. believe themselves indestructible and almost totally devoid of good judgment.. bet really I don't even want to know what it is.

mab, you better not be dumb enough to do shit on a level this stupid !!!!

Good lord..I wouldn't believe it but I do, I mean soldiers in wwII uses to drink iso alch, same things, blindness, death.

How the hell can these kids get racing fuel and not get a bottle of cheap rotgot liquor?

This is bizzarree lol

Not sure what to comment about this one, I was young once. Still pretty young now, but I've never had the urge to drink racing fuel. Always been a city diesel sort of guy. Seems to take me a little bit further. Yep, i'm going to hell. ;)

Good lord..I wouldn't believe it but I do, I mean soldiers in wwII uses to drink iso alch, same things, blindness, death.

How the hell can these kids get racing fuel and not get a bottle of cheap rotgot liquor?

This is bizzarree lol

Possibly it was around because their parents race I would guess....and apparently they thought it was ethanol.

I knew an alcoholic in rehab who ended up getting his stomach pumped from drinking isopropyl alcohol and easily could have died. He said the liquor stores in his city don't sell on sunday and he was in w.d. but how does a grown man not know that you can't process isopropyl alcohol and it can very easily kill you?? And even when he didn't know, you would think he would make damn sure first. During prohibition alot of people died or went blind from consuming methanol in cleaning solutions and such.

Shit is fucked up. Especially when it's so damn easy to homebrew wine. Especially the cheap ghetto versions. Juice, sugar,yeast that's all you need. So sad these kids apparently assumed they knew what they were doin and went for it.

Feel sorry for the kids family. I did some dumb stuff for a buzz as a teen but nothing to this level.

Feel sorry for the kids family. I did some dumb stuff for a buzz as a teen but nothing to this level.

Yeah me too but it was always excessive intake of legitimate drugs. For some reason at around the age of 14 I thought drinking as much alcohol as possible would help me learn more about myself.

Ya, was thinkin that same thing Philosoraphator....this sounds more like a dare by some white trash kids.."here, drink this fuckin racin' fuel mixed with some mountain dew man, I dare ya". Sad, but I mean...ya. Were there NO DRUGS around at ALL??? No duster even????

Possibly it was around because their parents race I would guess....and apparently they thought it was ethanol.

I knew an alcoholic in rehab who ended up getting his stomach pumped from drinking isopropyl alcohol and easily could have died. He said the liquor stores in his city don't sell on sunday and he was in w.d. but how does a grown man not know that you can't process isopropyl alcohol and it can very easily kill you?? And even when he didn't know, you would think he would make damn sure first. During prohibition alot of people died or went blind from consuming methanol in cleaning solutions and such.

Shit is fucked up. Especially when it's so damn easy to homebrew wine. Especially the cheap ghetto versions. Juice, sugar,yeast that's all you need. So sad these kids apparently assumed they knew what they were doin and went for it.

I'm not really sure why all the incorrect myths about isopropanol. It's not deadly like methanol if you drink it in reasonable amounts, hell it's about as toxic as ethanol per dosage, except it's about 4 times more potent. Isopropanol would be a good substitution for ethanol if acetone didn't give you a headache from hell the next day and you wouldn't smell like acetone. Other than that, it's no more toxic than ethanol, and I've actually drunk it quite a few times as a sort of experiment.

Guess people don't realize you only need like 50 ml of isopropanol to get a buzz equivalent to 200 ml ethanol (half a litre of vodka), and drink stupid amounts of it. Of course, if you consume >1litre of vodka within an hour you're going to have to get your stomach pumped and all that jazz.

I wonder the context of them discovering the drug.
Did a friend give it to them premixed and implied it was safe or did they intentionally seek out racing fuel and make it themselves.
The latter seems worthy of a Darwin award, the former of a jail sentence