NEMD Screamo or Skramz v. It's Spock Rock

Mysterier

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is strictly devoted to punk/screamo (or skramz), i.e., the first wave of screamo bands and those that followed in a similar vein.

So would this include stuff as new as Thursday or say, alexisonfire, Finch, the used, etc? @Mysterier ? I know they obviously weren't first wave but didn't know how loosely "those that followed" was to be applied.

So would this include stuff as new as Thursday or say, alexisonfire, Finch, the used, etc? @Mysterier ? I know they obviously weren't first wave but didn't know how loosely "those that followed" was to be applied.

I prefer to keep it first wave and bands that sound like those, excluding Thursday and not branching off into "mainstream emo." I'm going to post my favorite Thursday song in your Emo thread. :poolparty:

I love this song (and album) but this is metalcore. :)

oh man. screamo. didn't think there was gonna be a thread on this, was thinking about making one because i wanted to describe how it's pretty funny to me there is a group of people on reddit that claim that screamo doesn't exist and it's all just real emo and bands like sunny day real estate aren't even emo. the band Orchid is pretty big to be brought up by these people and i find it kind of wrong. i don't know if it's supposed to be funny or clever calling all this stuff emo, but it really doesn't sit well with me.... i'm from massachussetts usa where the band orchid is from. they were really popular here because they are from this state, but they got a pretty underground hardcore following across the world. i used to make some money buying their records from local record vendors and then selling them on ebay and people from like germany and where ever else would buy them for a lot more than i paid... but check out Orchid real quick. i've owned almost all their records. when i first heard it i was like "this blows all hardcore away" it was the first song on the record clip i'm about to post on you tube that was played over college radio that normally just played indie rock and pop punk, so i had no idea what i was hearing and that really appealed to me. i was like fourteen when that was first played to me on the radio. the first couple seconds there is a violin or something and it sounds like it was from a horror movie and then it just goes into pummeling hardcore, other than it's common to use octave chords on guitar in regular emo and orchid has a lot of octave chords, i find it almost wrong to call orchid a screamo band even. screamo i kind of feel like is more nerdy and depressing maybe say like the band I Hate Myself which was the third band in the first post of this thread and not as hateful but still has some screaming or shouting.

this is Orchid:

i used to listen to this kind of music in my room when i was like 15-17, and then when i started tripping on shrooms i had a kind of bad trip thinking that i was bothering my sister that was 6 years younger than me playing this stuff over my loud stereo speakers. i felt like the music was bad and still kind of think it is... although i'm still into the drums and rhythm of the recording, i wonder what younger kids that talk on reddit are really hearing and thinking when they hear this stuff. the lyrics in orchid often claim stuff like people hear music from foreign countries and don't like it because it's different and people might hear them as violent, but really it could be interpreted as something else, maybe just like similar to a strong hurricane or something, if you are post modern enough or whatever. ive heard people say that stuff, but i'm not really feeling it. they also got a song called "eye gouger", so i'm not sure what that says if they are violent or not. really makes me go "wtf".

here's the band Neil Perry on their split 12" record with the band Joshua Fit for Battle... Neil Perry has some screaming high pitch vocals that always sounded real emotional to me. sometimes this record actually makes me cry in present day because of how much it emotionally effected me as a teen. i can really feel the pain in this recording, where as orchid i just kind of feel like is a strong aggressive feeling bordering on hatred. i think there is a lot of sadness on the first half of this you tube clip. i guess i can see it being linked to emo, but still kind of confusing to me that they are compared or labeled together so often... Neil Perry and Joshua Fit for Battle:

Here's a band The Khayembii Communique... thiis stuff i think would be in the genre of screamo along side stuff like I hate Myself... more melodic stuff than the other stuff i posted and some melodic pop punk type vocals to go along with the screaming:

SO yeah. that's some of my history with the screamo genre... just wanted to talk about how orchid is even considered EMO by reddit kids now days claiming that a great deal of what i grew up on as emo is just indie radio rock or something. not really feeling these kids. with all the publicity of mall emo and midwest emo, i feel like what was midwest emo has mostly become the real defining of emo and will always be, which kind of fits in with mall emo imo, but this hardcore stuff kind of needs different labeling. telling me orchid is an emo band is absolutely crazy to me. it'd make sense to call it power violence to me, although that genre is taken up by people playing stuff similar to old school mosh hardcore... confusing to me... what i grew up on as emo was like Jimmy Eat world, Sunny Day real estate, the get up kids, mineral, the gloria record, appleseed cast... some of that stuff really doesn't even have that much octave chord sound, which a lot of screamo does. they have bands like I hate sex in the screamo category that is mostly melodic guitar tapping stuff, so there's some of that too, not just octave chords in screamo, BUT... i don't know these genres kind of get to me, but i love a lot of that stuff.

Yes, I love Orchid. I haven't heard The Khayembii Communique yet, but I'm going to listen to them in a moment.