• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Scottish Independence v. Further devolution, or just convoluted lies?

Should Scotland become independent?

• Should stay how things are now

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Should become fully independent

Votes: 20 50.0%
  • Should extend devolved powers but remain part of UK

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I am Spade

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
I don't mind then having independence as long as it means they get absolutely fuck-all money from England anymore.

Does Scotland benefit in net terms in its balance of payments with England, I would have thought so but where does oil fit into it.

I wasn't keen to get involved in this thread but I would far rather we were devolved. We wouldn't be dealing with a Torie government for one.

I don't mind then having independence as long as it means they get absolutely fuck-all money from England anymore.

Oil? Electricity? Your paying less for our supply down in London than we are up here..

Scotland should be given full independence, war should then be declared so we can invade and enslave the barbarians.

Does Scotland benefit in net terms in its balance of payments with England, I would have thought so but where does oil fit into it.

I believe the crucial question is whether the return from Scottish offshore oil will offset the handouts from the UK government. With the current price of oil it's thought that the answer is "no". I can't be arsed to find a source - this is something I read in The Times a month or so ago.

You've got all the nukes as well but the MOD would take them back if independence was gained and you'd only be left with empty buckfast bottles and empty aids infested syringes to fight with

I don't mind either way. I like the idea of maintaining unity, rather than becoming more divided. I think if Scotland were to devolve it would be weird, and things would be essentially the same for both sides (after a lot of expensive reshuffling of course). Our standing in Europe and the world might suffer slightly though. I find it odd that 4 million people who live in the same geographical area can choose to separate off... I mean imagine if London decided it wanted to devolve? It is kind of stretching democracy to it's limit, and it is the result of pathetic vote grabbing policies. What I really want is this whole issue put to bed. I think that even if there is a referendum, and the devolution side loses, Alex Salmond and his supporters won't drop it - it will happen every 20 years or so until it goes through.

David Cameron is a fucking clueless buffoon. He would of been better doing nothing. The Tories are hated more than cancer in Scotland (Amusing Stat being used at the minute is Scotland has more Giant Pandas then Tory MPs).

All Cameron has done is given the SNP ammo such as "The Tory/Lib Dem Westminster Government is trying to stick their oar into "the people of Scotlands" political decision" -

Alex Salmond must just love the current westminster government, makes his job a lot easier and makes him look like the good guy!

If we got the Oil revenue from Scottish waters, id vote for full Independence, as we'd be rich as fuck. - But that will not happen so id go for more powers etc...

I work in the oil industry and fuck yes. oil is over $115 dollers a barrel just now. maggie the old cow fucked it up years ago looking for a quick buck. they should have done it like norway statoil " state oil" and we would all be loaded.

Ah the nukes all owned by the yanks!

Even if they own them, we've fucking got them! Come ahead!

I don't mind either way. I like the idea of maintaining unity, rather than becoming more divided. I think if Scotland were to devolve it would be weird, and things would be essentially the same for both sides (after a lot of expensive reshuffling of course). Our standing in Europe and the world might suffer slightly though. I find it odd that 4 million people who live in the same geographical area can choose to separate off... I mean imagine if London decided it wanted to devolve? It is kind of stretching democracy to it's limit, and it is the result of pathetic vote grabbing policies. What I really want is this whole issue put to bed. I think that even if there is a referendum, and the devolution side loses, Alex Salmond and his supporters won't drop it - it will happen every 20 years or so until it goes through.

If Scotland got full independence Alex Salmond's team would be fucked. That's basically their only issue. FREEEEEEDOM!!!! If they do get their "FREEEEEDOM" they'll be like "Eh, fuck. Right, what do we do now?"

PTCH, we'll just unleash the ultimate weapon on you:

NSFW:
462109-TheAdvent-13056443792.92.jpg

I'd like to see you act so tough then :D

I think studies show that independence would be "fiscally neutral", ie the money from the oil just about matches what Scotland gets in subsidies from England.
Cuntybaws Cameron would probably want to get rid of Scotland as the Tories would then have a majority forever in Westminster. And after hearing him coming on like he has recently I'm inclined to say lets give it a go then - get away from those Tory twats for good. What should have happened years ago is that the power that is massively over-centralised in Westminster and the South-East should have been devolved to regional areas and big cities throughout the UK. Then perhaps Scotland and Wales wouldn't feel the need to break away quite so much. But it wasn't and outlying regions in the UK, including northern England were at best fed the scraps from the political and economic tables.

I live in Scotland but was brought up in England and born in Europe so I'm really not that bothered either way from a nationalistic point of view. Part of me would love to see how things would pan out but part of me thinks the every day trivialities (setting up separate currencies, postal systems, armies, etc etc would be a massive pain in the arse). But the longer Cameron et al remain in power the more opinion will move in favour of independence. As a previous poster said, Alex Salmond doesn't have to do anything....

The oil did't do England any good in the 80's tho - it all got spent on the 3 million on the dole when Maggie was forcing through her "free market" stylee.

Being Scottish I would like to be recognised internationaly for my nationality rather than just being seen as British at best, and English at worst. But it seems like it will be a lot of bother to impliment and not realy worth all the disruption to buisness, economy etc.

It may be that some Tories secretly favour Scottish independence, as it would certainly cement them as the natural party of government in England and Wales. I suppose in the longer term they think the oil will run out but the Scottish welfare hand will never falter.

I think studies show that independence would be "fiscally neutral", ie the money from the oil just about matches what Scotland gets in subsidies from England.

At the moment perhaps, but after devolution you can bet that the price of oil will shift.

Personally I'd like to keep the Union. I think we're stronger together and the people of England and Scotland, despite some friendly rivalry, get along pretty well. I'm also concerned that devolution would see the Tories outright win every election in what remained of the UK.