• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Scientists Call Out Bad Data Linking Weed to Psychosis

poledriver

Bluelighter
Scientists Call Out Bad Data Linking Weed to Psychosis

That marijuana causes the onset of psychosis is a claim commonly employed to demonstrate the dangers of the drug, but studies touting the theory often lack the evidence to support it.

In a recent letter to the prestigious journal the Lancet, co-authors Dr. Charles Ksir and Dr. Carl Hart explained how researchers overstate the link between psychosis and cannabis by failing to account for variables that may cause co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders.

Speaking to HIGH TIMES, Hart explained that the Lancet has a habit of perpetuating this theory without the evidence to back it.

“Charlie [Ksir, his co-author] and I are concerned that the Lancet and its subsidiary journals have become the journal of marijuana psychosis,” he said.

In their letter, Ksir and Hart—who published their own review of the research on the topic in January—explained that clinical trials have failed to prove causality between marijuana use and psychosis, but researchers draw conclusions suggesting as much regardless.

A month after Ksir and Hart’s study was published, another review of the research by Tabea Schoeler and colleagues at Kings College London found that people already experiencing psychosis can improve outcomes by reducing or eliminating marijuana use, but continuing to use can worsen the severity of symptoms.

Hart and Ksir say this meta-analysis relied solely on “correlational studies”—which, as a rule, do not prove causation— to suggest that a causal relationship between marijuana and psychosis.

Despite the lack of causality in the literature, researchers exhibit “a strong tendency... to accept cannabis use as a so-called component cause of psychosis,” Hart and Ksir wrote.

In response to the criticism, Schoeler and her colleagues countered with another article in the Lancet, stating that while they agree they could not draw conclusions regarding causality, doing as much was not the focus of the study because previous research already "implicates cannabis use as a 'component cause' for psychotic symptomatology."

Hart disputes this defense, arguing that to establish a component cause, one must control for other variables that may have caused both marijuana use and psychosis.

“Schoeler and colleagues stated that rates of cannabis use in patients with psychosis are ‘higher than…those of people with other psychiatric diagnoses’,” Hart and Ksir wrote, adding that to support this claim, the opposing researchers cited an article (by Vito Agosti and colleagues) which concluded that other substance misuse and mental health disorders had stronger associations with psychosis than cannabis.

“They did not report any association between cannabis and psychosis, presumably because of the low frequency of psychosis in the participants studied," Hart and Ksir wrote of this study.

Schoeler and colleagues disputed this point in their reply, writing, “In this regard, we should point out that contrary to the authors’ assertion, Agosti and colleagues did in fact find an increased risk…of psychosis in patients dependent on cannabis.”

Hart retorted, “These people are dishonest. Our point was simply the following (as Agosti and colleagues themselves wrote): 'Alcohol dependence, antisocial personality disorder, and conduct disorder had the strongest associations with cannabis dependence, followed by anxiety and mood disorders.'"

“The cannabis-psychosis link was weaker than these other relationships, even though the authors set out to explore the psychosis-cannabis link. This is the point that we made,” Hart explained.

Indeed, in their review of the literature on cannabis and psychosis, Hart and Ksir found that the association between cannabis-users and people diagnosed with psychosis was caused by a variety of other factors that put certain populations at an increased risk for substance misuse and mental disorders. Put simply, the THC in cannabis did not cause the correlation between marijuana and psychosis, nor did psychosis cause cannabis use.

“After reviewing the scientific literature, we found evidence that bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, and mood disorder have all been correlated with cannabis use, and reported that psychosis has been correlated with heavy tobacco smoking, heavy alcohol use, stimulant misuse, and sedative misuse. We found no clear evidence for a causal relation between cannabis and psychosis,” Hart and Ksir wrote.

According to their “shared vulnerability hypothesis,” people more vulnerable to substance misuse and mental health disorders are more likely to continue using marijuana and to have recurring episodes of psychosis, but not because one causes the other. Rather, mental health disorders are correlated with a variety of substance misuse, and there is no special link between cannabis and psychosis.

In their reply, Schoeler and her colleagues wrote that “Ksir and Hart suggest that the association between continued cannabis use and psychotic relapse is the result of a ‘shared-vulnerability,' presumably genetic," adding that recent research shows “only modest” overlap in genetic vulnerability for psychosis and marijuana use.

Hart categorically denies any insinuation of genetics, saying instead that "they misread our meaning of ‘shared vulnerability.' To interpret it as ‘genetic’ demonstrates their less-than-careful reading of our paper and also the literature in general.’”

Research into treatment informed by the idea that cannabis causes psychosis further disproves the causal connection, according to Hart and Ksir, who note, that two studies using treatment strategies (like cognitive behavioral therapy) that focused on marijuana use “found no beneficial effect on psychotic symptoms or amount of cannabis use.”

If treatments informed by marijuana use as a cause of psychosis offer no benefit, they argue, continued focus on the marijuana-causes-psychosis theory is a distraction from real solutions that may actually improve public health.

“Our greatest concern is not that someone might be advised to stop using cannabis,” Hart and Ksir wrote. “We are concerned that a misunderstanding of the relation between cannabis use and psychotic behavior leads to an oversimplification of the complex developmental nature of substance use and mental disorders.”

http://www.hightimes.com/read/scientists-call-out-bad-data-linking-weed-psychosis

The rates of psychosis are pretty much going to stay the same regardless of cannabis use. The fact that people with a mental health issue tend to want to self medicate is nothing new.

The rates of psychosis are pretty much going to stay the same regardless of cannabis use. The fact that people with a mental health issue tend to want to self medicate is nothing new.
Exactly. People with mental health issues often know something is wrong long before the symptoms become obvious enough to see a shrink and get a diagnosis. I don't believe pot causes psychosis in people not predisposed.

I've read a number of whitepapers relating cannabis to psychosis and even though I don't have the domain knowledge to understand the bio-specifics, the methodology is mostly comprehensible to a layman and that's where you'll spot gaping holes in the methodology.

My understanding is these studies with shoddy methodology are done at the behest of some state organ, not in order to actually advance science but simply abusing how research is done to get a desired result, then the lie is qualified with the word "may", which makes it OK, and then the state organ calls up their respective propaganda broker (e.g. Murdoch) and it gets picked up by the global media organizations. Both the white paper and the media seem to avoid language that would make it appear as though they are claiming causation with shoddy methodology, but I think the real problem crops up further along the chain when the media starts quoting doctors, who are far more willing to say "yes cannabis causes psychosis" as long as they happen to have seen enough past studies to support the notion that it probably causes psychosis (simply by virtue of the record being long enough).

So at the end of the chain where the story actually reaches us, we're essentially taking our queues from hotshot doctors that take a lot of liberties with what data is really saying, presumably in order to come off as more authoritative, presumably to have their name in the papers more often and obviously more positive exposure generally leads to more business. That's how I see it, but I could be wrong.

I've read a number of whitepapers relating cannabis to psychosis and even though I don't have the domain knowledge to understand the bio-specifics, the methodology is mostly comprehensible to a layman and that's where you'll spot gaping holes in the methodology.

My understanding is these studies with shoddy methodology are done at the behest of some state organ, not in order to actually advance science but simply abusing how research is done to get a desired result, then the lie is qualified with the word "may", which makes it OK, and then the state organ calls up their respective propaganda broker (e.g. Murdoch) and it gets picked up by the global media organizations. Both the white paper and the media seem to avoid language that would make it appear as though they are claiming causation with shoddy methodology, but I think the real problem crops up further along the chain when the media starts quoting doctors, who are far more willing to say "yes cannabis causes psychosis" as long as they happen to have seen enough past studies to support the notion that it probably causes psychosis (simply by virtue of the record being long enough).

So at the end of the chain where the story actually reaches us, we're essentially taking our queues from hotshot doctors that take a lot of liberties with what data is really saying, presumably in order to come off as more authoritative, presumably to have their name in the papers more often and obviously more positive exposure generally leads to more business. That's how I see it, but I could be wrong.

I also think that states actually give doctors grants to specifically reach whatever conclusion they are trying to publish. If a state wants a doctor to find out psychosis comes from pot, chances are they will.

abusing grant money is awful, it not only damages trust in the bureaucracy but also reduces the chance of promising new research getting the support it needs :(

I think we're splitting hairs a bit here. Yes, cannabis only causes psychosis in the sense that it can trigger psychosis in people with an underlying mental illness (who may not have previously shown symptoms), but that's the same as the link between trauma and PTSD, or stress and anxiety disorders, or the death of a loved one and clinical depression. Biopsychosocial disorders like mental illness have a strong biological component (it's right there in the name) but the environmental and social factors that lead to someone developing a mental illness are just as firmly implicated in their resulting symptoms.

People sometimes develop cannabis-related mental illnesses - that doesn't become a lie just because the illness that was triggered by the cannabis runs in their family.

cannabis only causes psychosis in the sense that it can trigger psychosis in people with an underlying mental illness
Well, that is what the article says is not true, right?
The authors are saying that cannabis "causes" psychosis less than it "causes" alcohol dependence. So, the word "cause" is the problem here. Cannabis is linked to alcohol dependence, and mood disorders etc., more closely than it is to psychosis.
And, the proven link between psychosis and cannabis is not one of causation. It is a correlation, so the problem could be that people with psychosis often use cannabis.

Well, that is what the article says is not true, right?
The authors are saying that cannabis "causes" psychosis less than it "causes" alcohol dependence. So, the word "cause" is the problem here. Cannabis is linked to alcohol dependence, and mood disorders etc., more closely than it is to psychosis.
And, the proven link between psychosis and cannabis is not one of causation. It is a correlation, so the problem could be that people with psychosis often use cannabis.

^I agree with slimvictor and the science. Correlation isn't the same as causation. In this situation zero evidence exists suggesting marijuana causes psychosis. People with psychosis often attempt self medicating with drugs such as tobacco and my hypothesis is they utilize marijuana in the same way.

More research is in order.

While that may be true, this shouldn't be taken as weed being ok for certain folks with mental illness. Marijuana definitely can definitely trigger a lot of issues for certain mental health patients. trigger or cause the result can still be bad news.

I smoke daily and have for quite sometime. I have bipolar and I can tolerate it pretty well. I normally don't have psychotic features present but I have experienced it from drugs and withdrawing from drugs, lack of sleep, so i get a taste now and then. Sometimes the weed does send me for a loop, gives me severe anxiety, and stir up schizoid feelings but its not anything that I cant handle or is particularly detrimental to my mental health overall. There are times that I don't smoke because I know it won't be a good thing depending on the state im in. I would say overall its good medicine for me and it helps with depression, keeps me calm(er) and helps my mood.

Being able to pick my strain would help me avoid negative experiences but its still illegal where i live. The high THC low CBD definitely can be problematic sometimes for me. Its just what the guy has, so its a bit of crapshoot. I avoid wax and shatter like the plague. I have had really good experiences with the higher CBD stuff. I think its the ratio thats whats important. I think the medicine is most effective when both THC and CBD are present. There is a synergy there but some just cant tolerate a lot of THC. I know the THC only thing was a craze for a while but I think they are starting to have a lot more higher CBD flowers in states where its legal.

There are a lot of people that really should avoid it at all costs. Im not making blanket statements about who should or shouldn't use it but I've smoked with people and seen them start going psychotic before. I have also seen it from people smoking spice to a much larger degree. For some patients, marijuana and cannibinoids are among the worst drugs that they can take.

While that may be true, this shouldn't be taken as weed being ok for certain folks with mental illness. Marijuana definitely can definitely trigger a lot of issues for certain mental health patients. trigger or cause the result can still be bad news.

Definitely agree.
Cannabis is NOT OK for some people. No question.
If I had severe mental illness (rather than this low-level shit I live with now), I would not use any drugs. (Well, maybe coffee and chocolate.)

We currently have no way to predict who will develop a mental illness. We can only identify people who are at higher risk than the general population.

Saying "cannabis is OK for most people, but not for people who might have an underlying mental illness" doesn't make any sense, because people who don't have symptoms of mental illness will generally assess themselves as not having a mental illness.

Again, I think we're splitting hairs over the word "cause". I agree that there's little reliable evidence supporting a direct causative link between marijuana use and spontaneous development of mental illness in people not otherwise at risk, but it shouldn't be controversial to acknowledge that it can be a triggering factor in onset or escalation of mental illness in susceptible people.

Cannabis can certainly trigger mental illness - I have experienced this and have several friends who have as well. I agree with SixBuckets that the argument about susceptibility with regards to the cannabis-psychosis link is somewhat disingenuous. Sure, only people "susceptible" to mental illness will have it triggered by cannabis use, but first of all, susceptibility is not an innate factor - concomitant drug use and stressful life situations, for example, would raise one's susceptibility - and second of all, people are not at all aware of how susceptible they are at a given time. Heroin addiction only happens to people who are "susceptible" to it but I rarely see that argument being brought up.