• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

School told to stop handing out cigarettes to pupils

foolsgold

Bluelighter
dont know if this really fits but guessed some might have a view on it

A West Yorkshire school has been heavily criticised after complaints were made that it had handed out cigarettes to pupils at break time in an effort to curb truancies.

Elmete Central School in Roundhay, Leeds, was slammed by health campaigners for its "back-to-bikesheds" policy, in which children were allowed to smoke on the grounds.

According to the Times, the school - which has 75 pupils with behavioural difficulties - believed that, as children were leaving the grounds to smoke and often not returning, confiscating the cigarettes at the start of the day and then rationing them to the pupils in the grounds would be a preferable option.

Local authorities and charities didn’t agree, however, and the practice has now been put to an end.

Deborah Arnott, chief executive of the anti-smoking group ASH, said: “This is wrong in so many ways. It’s illegal to sell tobacco to under-18s because it is so hazardous to health. It is totally inappropriate and unethical.”

http://news.uk.msn.com/trending-blog/school-told-to-stop-handing-out-cigarettes-to-pupils

They aren't handing out fags. They are returning the fags to the kids at break times to stop them leaving the school. My partner works with kids with behavioural difficulties and reckons this is not a bad idea, just one the Daily Mail etc can easily make a sensational story about.

Especially when the headline erroneously states "handing out tobacco to children"

Misleeding headline!

They aren't handing out fags. They are returning the fags to the kids at break times to stop them leaving the school. My partner works with kids with behavioural difficulties and reckons this is not a bad idea, just one the Daily Mail etc can easily make a sensational story about.

Especially when the headline erroneously states "handing out tobacco to children"

You just wanted to say fags.

I dont think this is bad at all, and yyea that is a very misleading title. They are going to smoke them anyways and will leave to do so, why not use the cigs as a bargaining chip.

Ah good ole' high school. The place where I lit up my first fag.

.... What?

They used let the kids with "behavior difficulties" smoke at the alternative school by where I lived, although they weren't handing them out lmao..

Not really handing them out, but returning them...
still kinda bizarre.
But I understand their purpose.
If they are going to smoke anyway, better for them to stay at school.
Since people are going to use drugs anyway, can we just use them while leading productive lives, without fear of penalty?
Many of us would breathe a sigh of relief. :p