• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Schizophrenia and weed.

X11400

Bluelighter
For harm reduction purposes, could co administration of Cannabis with a gabergic sedative such as Alparazolam decrease the psychotomimetic effects of marijuana for someone who currently has schizophrenia? From what I know, this illness is caused by decreased GABA levels, glutaminergic hypofunction, and dopamine hyperfunction. Gabergic sedatives are known to decrease paranoia and anxiety in individuals susceptible to said phenomenon. And if this administration works, could this also be extrapolated to usage of dopaminergic stimulants such as psilocybin or methamphetamine? Personal anecdotes and/or publications are needed.

Please answer the question and don’t put your two cents in regarding whether or not a mentally ill person should be using cannabis. Also, could a mod please move this to “Neuroscience and pharmacology”? I don’t think the cannabis forum is the best forum for this question to be answered as they specify cannabis.

Please answer the question and don’t put your two cents in regarding whether or not a mentally ill person should be using cannabis. Also, could a mod please move this to “Neuroscience and pharmacology”? I don’t think the cannabis forum is the best forum for this question to be answered as they specify cannabis.

Done.

Yea, vert good wuestion i would like to know also, when i smoke i get the shizo voices in my head, i love smoking qeed, but cannot anymore of fear from the voices....

For me, no. My self medicating with benzodiazapines sporadically caused me some challenges with my mental health. Fortunately I did recover, feel more normal, and enjoy life more. I had to stabilize myself on only one medication taken alone regularly before I could add another one. Later I did smoke occasionally and naturally felt calm and joyful.

Honestly that's normal and a bunch of people have felt how you feel and had the same struggles, in that we are kindred-spirits. For me I had depression and had to stay on one anti-depressant regularly for several months, journal, and also start exercising regularly. That's when life got calmer and more joyful.

I think the rebound effect of the benzos would likely make it worse if this were to be more than a once a month thing

For example is someone that's susceptible to a psychotic disorder smoking weed regularly. If they had experienced all of the symptoms of a psychotic disorder while smoking all of the time, then they would have stopped smoking. the formative changes make their impression later on.

Also, the more regularly you take a substance, the more brain regions it comes to affect. This is partly why, for example, people may find amphetamine to be a virtual emotional panacea at first, then a month or two down the road, the anxiety and agitation will manifest.

I think the rebound effect of the benzos would likely make it worse if this were to be more than a once a month thing
There’s no way that it requires you to use a benzodiazepine monthly in order to avoid rebound anxiety.

For me, no. My self medicating with benzodiazapines sporadically caused me some challenges with my mental health. Fortunately I did recover, feel more normal, and enjoy life more. I had to stabilize myself on only one medication taken alone regularly before I could add another one. Later I did smoke occasionally and naturally felt calm and joyful.

Honestly that's normal and a bunch of people have felt how you feel and had the same struggles, in that we are kindred-spirits. For me I had depression and had to stay on one anti-depressant regularly for several months, journal, and also start exercising regularly. That's when life got calmer and more joyful.
Not really trying to self medicate. I was just trying to smoke weed without bugging out, and also apply this to acquaintances.

cannabis is the worst drug next to meth somebody with schizopherina could do.
Don’t really disagree but if one with schizophrenia already smoked then idk. But it definitely increases susceptibility to positive symptoms. Anyways, people with this illness still use these drugs which brings me back to the point of the op which was regarding reducing the harms of cannabis for those who are susceptible to psychosis.

Last edited:
A single dose can do it depending on the person
Do you have a source for that? I just have a hard time believing that this phenomenon consistently happens enough for it to be a problem for most people’s cases. Also you have to consider that these drugs are still effectively prescribed treatments for anxiety.

@X11400 No studies or anything but Ive heard it from a number of people and felt that way myself, if you don't already have anxiety it probably wont be an issue unless you use for a couple days straight or something. It could just be the coming down but I definitely get anxiety after drinking even without doing it much

I have Bipolar disorder and weed tends to exacerbate my symptoms. I don't think we should really be smoking too much weed TBH. I know that wasn't really your question but just my two cents.