Schizophrenia and drug use

i just have to say here that i totally agree with Jase and Blue Lava. risking schizophrenia is just not worth it. all it takes is a trigger. one trip could do it.

YLHQ--

It is difficult to answer whether or not I am schizophrenic, because I do not concur with doctor's assessments. There are a few physical indicators that only show that people's brains are different. Higher population of certain cells, lower concentrations of certain neurotransmitters, etc. These traits are definitely present, but to me that is not conclusive.

As far as hearing voices, etc. Yes. But I do not genuinely believe them to be hallucinatory in nature. They are coming from somewhere. I do not hear commands to go 'kill someone' or 'I am Jesus' kind of things. It's not like that.

It's just that my basic belief of who I am and how I relate to my surroundings is structured on what doctors call 'delusional thinking' and 'circular logic'.

I will admit that a few times I have had some pretty extreme hallucinatory episodes. Even one where I thought there was a severed head in my bathtub and two fingers poking out of the drain. I thought that the fingers belonged to the body, and that some woman was under the drain. I was not under the influence of any drugs at the time.

I worried at an early age that I was being monitored via some sort of electronic beam that was coming from a space station near the sun. I thought that I had created my body, and then voluntarily inhabited it via remote control. This body, I still believe, is simply an interface machanism designed to broadcast living conditions to me from the earth. I am not actually present here.

Think about this for a second, and it might make sense to you. If you have ever thought about astronauts training for spacewalking, you can imagine that the virtual reality suits that they have can create the impression that they are actually somewhere that they are not. Ok, I believe that I am elsewhere, simply recieving data in a holographic platform, and processing that data for analysis and consideration as a residence.

What happens when I die? Nothing. This body vanishes and this session is over, that's all.

It's like asking what happens to the guy in the tv when the tv gets smashed.

Our bodies are like different televisions. In our basic linguistic programming we have included an amnesia in order to experience this environment 'first hand', so to speak. The language that we normally think and communicate with is not linear. It is not necessarily sequential, either. It is a multifaceted phenomenon that says several things simultaneously. It is the illusion of physical memory that interferes with our ability to understand that we are in one moment only...now. We can remember before, and we can anticipate what is to come, but that is all nonexistent. It is only modeled for us by our brains, which interpret to us in a linear fashion. Our actual memory of where we come form is not accessible with linear syntax.

DMT will provide for you the syntax required to access the base programming language utilized to assemble the neural network that then translates certain physical events into linear languages, which again, are only models and not actual experience. This is evidenced by the fact that over 95% of actual physical data is filtered out by the sensitivity parameters that are set at birth. They are set to:

Memory: Erase-translate, flatten, record, store.
Extrapolation: Only data recognized--1% of light, 1% of sound, tactile-touch only, temperature.
Probability: Translation of spatial arrangement into linear syntax, store, translate again, store.

Ok, this last one is where everyone gets confused. We cannot remember our prior existence with our brains, because our brains only think in language and spatial relationships that can be translated in terms of time and distance, which are both very illusive concepts. We undertand where we are only in terms of what remember in our brains.

Our spirits, which reside elsewhere, are therefore not in any physical danger.

We are at a point in our evolution where we can still choose self-annihilation, or mortality, or eternal life. It is my belief that this is the only stage of development that allows for that.

If we record in our brains the erroneous notion tha the acquisition of pysical wealth is the primary objective, then the possibility arises that a flawed priority system will make its way into the realm of Godhood. Obviously this would be disastrous. In order to be perfect, then, we must be able to simultaneously be aware of self enhancement via plunder, which is in the end self annihilation, and voluntarily steer away from it.

I have discussed this basic framework with several doctors, and when we start getting into certain areas, such as phase linear experience with existing, but physically undetectable entities, my doctors start to recoil. Also, they fear that most of my beliefs about God, Christ (saviour of all), are not only delusional, but dangerous. I without any reservation whatsoever believe and state that Christ Jesus was the successful translation of simultaneous, flawless information into the physical realm. He transcribes himself, via His word, into our basic programming, which is flawed because of our loneliness and isolation. What he demonstrated is that we are not bound by these conditions. We are luminous beings, but our eyes cannot see this. When we ask for proof of God we are behaving like someone who demands proof that someone designed and built a skyscraper.

I can construct an argument, using evolution as the model, that skyscrapers evolved over time. Layers of sediment, seasons, etc.

So we deceive ourselves whe we assume that what we see and what we hear are evidence of anything at all. Less than five percent total, and then we have to interpret that data accurately, which is also impossible, because it is only a linguistic model.

Anyway, all I can say is that it is irrelevant whether or not I am shizophrenic. I am protected by none other than God the Creator, so what is there to worry for?

As for hallucinations--I will tell you what a hallucination is. It is simply an extrapalatory standing wave. Either a memory, distorted by inaccurate syntax/imagery, or an anticipation, likewise distorted.

Think about a stereo with bad speakers. Now, if you have an amplifier that is so powerful it overwhelmes the speakers, you can get distortion. Where is it coming from? The CD is clean. The amplifier, or brain, is clean.

The speakers are the analogy to language. Our language is insufficient to support certain concepts, hence, distortion. In other words, our minds are too powerful for language alone. Once we are introduced to certain concepts, overload is inevitable. The inferiority of linear syntax results in hallucinatory episodes.

Think about this: When you see a car far away it slooks a LOT smaller than it really is. Well, that in itself is a distortion of reality then, is it not?
Its just that we are used to to translating that in context accoring to our prior experiences, which is memory. When we see wild things on drugs, it is no different, its just that we have no prior experience with which to put it in context.

If you had knowledge that all cars were the same size before you ever saw anything, and then you were given sight, you would be blown away by the fact that they were all different sizes, until you had experience the phenomenon of PERSPECTIVE.

Any of this make sense?

Yeah it does. That's well thought out and I think the greater reality is far closer to what you've described than what we are taught it is.

Although I guess I can see why doctors label you schizophrenic, some of that is pretty full on and it would be a lot easier for them to put you in a neat little box than to actually think about what you've told them.

Our minds aren't confined to our brains. Brains are transmitors for the collective unconscious and some people are more in tune to it than others. I guess schizophrenia would be like being tuned to several different frequencies at once which would really mess with some people's heads if their brains aren't up to speed.

If someone has a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia they should probably avoid drugs altogether because I really don't think Most people could handle what it entails without losing touch with the basic reality we're obliged to reside in if we want to be considered sane.

you should really stay away from them all, but meth/amphetamines and hallucinogens i would think could be a possible culprit of affecting mental health. But i dont believe there is any way of really knowing what triggers schizophrenia. And use of drugs may or maynot have anything to do w/ it. Its a disease that still baffles DRs which is why there is no exact way of knowing why it happens.

Although I guess I can see why doctors label you schizophrenic, some of that is pretty full on and it would be a lot easier for them to put you in a neat little box than to actually think about what you've told them.

Its all very well written and articulated but that doesn't make it true. At some point doctors have to decide what is real and what is delusional and most of synchrojets writing _is_ delusional, and thats a factor they'll use when making the diagnosis.

I can relate to a lot of the stuff you've talked about on a far denser level, but as far as I know I'm not schizo. I just think you're a REALLY FUCKING SMART DOOD. Don't get a big head but I suspect you're smarter than 98% of the population, thanks for sharing that stuff!

A great mistake is assuming that all people with mental health problems are unintelligent or dumb, its often the complete opposite, but just because he may well be smarter than 98% of the population does not mean that he is right, he can just come up with more complex and realistic sounding theories.

This is all pretty typical behaviour, the non-belief of the condition, not taking medication and believing that illegal drugs help.

"Typical Behaviour..."
that was my point, just because it's typical behaviour doesn't make it so, Although it does sound like he has similar characteristics to someone with schizophrenia which is why I said what I did. As long as you can function in 'normality' why should someone be on meds they don't need? Synchrojet isn't about to hurt himself or anyone.

I agree though that people who are inclined to suffer from it should avoid drugs and if meds help people stay grounded and keep them from being a risk to themselves and others then yes, take the pills.

I just think doctors are far too quick to put people into pigeonholes and therefore discount everything they have to say, whether it's true or not it's interesting to think about.
And btw I think I said his ideas seemed to be closer to the truth, not the be all and end all.

Anyway this is way off topic sorry Shroomz - basically psychedelics and amphetamines are more likely to set someone off so if you want to lessen your chances then avoid those types of drugs completely.

As long as you can function in 'normality' why should someone be on meds they don't need?

If you can function in normality and unmedicated then you are not schizophrenic.

...but you have just made an assumption Jase;) You can be schizo, function and hold a job as any of us, and not have to take medication. Little is known as to how these drugs work on the cognitive area of the mind or schizophrenia for that matter.
If 'illegal' drugs work, Yage, etc, than good for you, nothing like being your own Shaman.

Synchro sounds pretty harmless, maybe just simply schizo or catatonic schizo, btw what did the doc's label you as??

Just remember not everyone has an ear for 'phase linear experiences' and people will easily class you as being crazy. With that said, sites like these are great places to share your thoughts.=D This whole board is all about drugs, how to make and take drugs, written for users of drugs, and in some cases for people on drugs.

I've made no such thing.

A mental health diagnosis generally requires that the symptons are severe enough to interfere with the patients life, if they do not then they don't get the diagnosis.

Intriguing thread. There's been some great input.

Jase, I'd have to say I disagree with what you said, about not being diagnosed if the symptoms don't affect your life. It doesn't mean you do not have the disorder, it simply means that it currently is not strong enough to affect your actions. Perhaps this is a difference between the diagnosis systems and healthcare systems of two countries, I'm not sure.

Synchrojet, I'd have to say I can definately relate to a LOT of what you're saying. While not as severe as yours, I often have existential crises similar in nature to what you describe.

I've just called them 'psychotic tendancies'. Perhaps its simply a mark of thinking in a different way to other people.

-plaz out-

Diagnostic Criteria: Schizophrenia

Part C.

Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement).

Thats taken from the "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM-IV)". Which is a reasonable enough global benchmark for mental disorders.

I have been fortunate enough to profit from writing, music, and occasional acting. Therefore I do not have have a nine-to-five, so to speak. God has really smiled on me in financial terms. That was not always the case. I was homeless for some of my twenties. There is no possible way that I could function in a traditional job. I now do real estate deals, act when I get the chance (rare), write, and compose music. I am working on some trance this year, actually. I was dead ass broke until I was thirty years old, then I got lucky. Moreover, my fiancee is extrememly intelligent and also makes excellent money. Hopefully this will continue!

Actual diagnosis is paranoid schizophrenia, stable type. There is a lot of myth about this condition. Recovery is possible without medication. Medication is a difficult route for me, because the effects of most of the meds are worse than the condition itself. Bipolar aspects are easier to manage because it is primarily emotional, and as we age we get better at resisting the urge to act out on our emotions. But voices and hallucinations are another thing entirely. At times things get really dicey, but those times are further and further apart.

I definitely benefit from my doctors, and I would not recommend anyone with this condition trying to cope without a doctor. We usually disagree, but he has proven to be invaluable.

Hey,

My family has a long history of extreme cases of mental illness, including, I believe, schizophrenia. My Grandmother currently believes she is able to communicate with "spirits" who she can see and talk to. She thinks that they give her advice and information. Now, her mother suffered from a similar condition and had a psychotic break later in life, and was considered insane (this was back in the 1960's).

Now if that weren't bad enough we also have Manic Depression running through my family and two members of my immediate family suffer from it. Outside of my immediate family there are numerous cases of Manic Depression in my family which include Aunts, Uncles, Great Uncles, and even my Great Grandfather who blew his brains out with a pistol after the stock market crash in 1929.

To pour salt on the wound, so to speak, pretty much my entire family is extremely smart and extremely sucessful, including myself (when tested my IQ has always been at the bare minimum of 125 and it is usually closer to 140, and I have siblings who are even smarter than myself). The problem is that when confronted with mental illness, members of my family have a tendency to talk down to medical professionals and rationalize their own, obviously very quirky and odd, behaviour.

Synchrojet,

I personally have experienced something similar to what you were talking about, but it wasn't with the Space Shuttle, it was with the terrorist attacks on 9/11. A week prior to 9/11 I started to have this weird, "gut feeling" that something was horribly wrong in the world, it was a feeling like one would get if the natural order of things were about to be horribly shaken. Now this feeling that I was getting only increased as the days progressed to 9/11. On 9/10 I started becoming almost frantic and during my last class of the day (I was in High School at the time) we were having a discussion concerning the safety of the United States (it was a College level International Relations Course). For some reason something inside of me almost snapped and I started proclaiming that we were not safe at all and that our nation was actually in a terrible ammount of trouble. Everyone got a good laugh out of my weird behavior that day and after class the teacher and quite a few of the students told me how they thought that I was going nuts or something.

So eventually on 9/11 I woke up and everything felt extremely wrong. (I tend to do everything in patterns, or schedules, like I'll wake up, brush my teeth, take a shower, shave, go read the paper, then go to school, and I'll do this repeatedly day after day) Well on the morning of 9/11 I wasn't doing anything right, I think I forgot to shampoo my hair, I didn't brush my teeth, didn't shave, didn't read the paper, and I had something to eat for breakfast because I had this extremely painful burning sensation in my stomach.(now this might seem extremely trivial to everyone else, but as I said I do this stuff almost ritually, and this was the first time I had not done something according to my little pattern in a couple of years (probably 3 or 4). Now when I got to school everything felt extremely wrong and eventually I had a gym class which I went to. I ended up sitting next to this kid on the bleachers, that we had in the gym at my school. I had rarely talked to this person in all of my 4 years of High School and I barely knew him, but for some reason I felt compelled to "comfort" him that morning, although he didn't visually look upset. Its hard for me to explain, but at that point in time, I could "feel" like he was emotionally very troubled, even though it didn't make any sense to me at the time.

Well we never did have gym class on that day because the teacher had been watching the events of 9/11 unfold on the little television that he had in his office. Now while I was waiting on the bleachers with this kid, the second tower at the WTC was being engulfed in flames as the second plane smashed into it. I later found out that the person who I felt the need to comfort and console just had his father incinerated in the second building of the Twin Towers that was hit by one of the planes. He was in fact the only person at my school who had lost any family members in the 9/11 attacks.

I've had other such experiences where I feel like I could tell something very important or traumatic was going to happen in the world, but the 9/11 attacks was just the most glaring example.

I have family and friends who have schizophrenia, bipolar, and manic depression. I think that drugs make them feel worse in the end and may drive them insane and more depressed, even if they are happy at the time. My ex fiance rolled about 6 months ago and ever since he's been going downhill and getting more depressed and feeling crazy each day. We broke up last week because he was treating me like shit for the past 6 months, after being together for 2 1/2 years. I had no idea what he was going through and I'm still not sure how to handle this. We are friends now and I wish there was something I could do to help his mental unstability. I've seen him go through his "lows" before but they only lasted about 15 mins and I knew exactly what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! :)

my brother has suffered from schizophrenic episods due to continuous weed smoking.

then, when after years and years of dayly weed smoking (not just one joint a day, but all day through), he totally quit from 1 day to the other, he also had a psychotic episod.

he also had a 4 months episod after using shrooms.

it is NO fun. stay away from hallucinogens and weed if you ahve schizophrenic tendencies.

and i agree with what someone else says above: it is more respectful to say about someone "he has schizophrenic episods" or "he ahs been diagnosed with schizophrenia", than saying "he is a schizophrenic", because when you say "he is a schizo" you limit a person to his symptoms, and you confine him to what is just a western medical diagnosis. remember it's relative: in some other cultures psychotic episods are considered as spiritual enlightenment breakthroughs and the pple who have them are considered as wise.

and as said above, people diagnosed with schizophrenia are generally highly intelligent.

as for the origins, tehre is still lack of consensus in teh medical world regarding to which extent it is purely a matter of chemical imbalance and to which extent it can eb caused to family dynamics and societal dynamics.

Actually, if I recall, the drug that has been most consistently and conclusively shown to correlate with schizophrenia is cannibus.

Yes, people diagnosed with schizophrenia are generally highly intelligent! My uncle is a genius and used to paint as good as Van Gogh!