Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Save Fabric

steewith2ees

Bluelight Crew
Bit late with this one but....

With the UK dance music scene well and truly on it's arse, we have been left with just TWO superclubs that still operate every weekend and continue to showcase the best of every form of dance music in the planet.

These are both based in London, the world famous Ministry of Sound which has continued to showcase the best in US house and garage every Saturday night since 1991, and is now also home to DJ Tall Paul's 21 year old Friday night, hosting the best in techno trance and house, 'The Gallery' (formally held at Turnmills before its demolition.)

The other is of course the peerless Fabric, which, like many venues of it's type over the years, has seen a number of drug deaths, 6 in total since the club opened in 2001 but with the most recent two occurring this summer. This has led to the club receiving a temporary license suspension, which will in all likely be removed completely by local magistrates tomorrow (6th September 2016) resulting in the permanent closure of one of the countries last 2 weekly dance music superclubs. 6 deaths is 6 too many, but considering that no less that ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY PEOPLE have died while in the custody of London's Metropolitan Police force during the same period, this action in unwarranted, unfathomable and will in all likely be the final nail in the coffin for the UK dance industry.

Wherever your from, Fabric is yours, as due to it's profile it is not only one of London's last remaining superclubs of it's type but an all round tourist attraction for those visitors to the city who know what type of music is right....

Please sign the petition to save Fabric TODAY, as tomorrow will be too late.....

petition: https://www.change.org/p/save-london-s-nightlife-stop-the-closure-of-fabric

news report: http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-08-30/sadiq-khan-urges-common-sense-solution-as-fabric-nightclub-fights-for-its-future-after-teenage-deaths/

Love Fabric <3 Love Life

What's your favourite Fabric/FabricLive mix(es), Stee? Anyone?

Ivan Smagghe
Toddla T
Drop the lime
DJ Sneak

Recently the Flava D mix was quality too.

Gutted it looks like they'll be closing Fabric, I've had a couple of my best nights out in that club.

Mylo playing the original womack and womack version of teardrops, it turned the place into the most surreal and beautiful karaoke for 6 minutes was amazing.

7+ hour Richie Hawtins sets.

Also some of the best drum and bass nights I've experienced too (RAM anniversary was great)

Spent a lot of time there in the mid 00s, pretty much always had a great night.

There's still some great parties and venues in London, but on a smaller scale... The closure of so many multiroom venues (turnmills, SEone, Bagley's etc) has certainly taken some of the magic out of London clubbing.

Once MOS & Fabric are gone, it will all seem like a distant memory.

Good riddence. Always found those places relatively soulless, not that I didn't have some good nights in them. Great rigs and music but missing something that more underground parties often have. The scene didn't need Super Clubs before MOS opened and it doesn't need them now. New and interesting venues hosted by exciting promoters who are in it for the party are more my bag.

Good riddence. Always found those places relatively soulless, not that I didn't have some good nights in them. Great rigs and music but missing something that more underground parties often have. The scene didn't need Super Clubs before MOS opened and it doesn't need them now. New and interesting venues hosted by exciting promoters who are in it for the party are more my bag.

Absolutely - the simple fact is that most mainstream dance events have always attracted twats but if you are about the music you can always rise above any necessity for widespread 'PLUR' and just enjoy what these places still had to offer - the best music with he best production. It's a different way of letting it in without relying on the relative freedom and undergroundy - ness that the free party scene etc has to offer.

As more of a Birmingham club attendee I was only in Fabric once, for a 5 hour set by John Digweed in 2008, but I have all of the Fabric comps. up untill Vol.71 - Cassy, and all of the FabricLive's up untill 70 - Friction

Too many to choose from, but the original 2 from both series (Craig Richards + James Lavelle respectively) are pretty peerless, and a couple of personal faves from the Fabric series would have to be John Digweed, Adam Beyer, Slam, Carl Craig, Marco Carola and DJ Sneak. I love more or less all of the D&B mixes from the FabricLive comps, with special mentions for the J Majik and Hype & Andy C selects. Non D&B faves from the FL series would probably include, Simian Mobile Disco (No.41), Diplo (No.24) and of course, John Peel (No.07).

Make sure you sign the petition!

Yeah Stee, gotta agree with ya there, one of my all time fave d'n'b mixes is FL18 with hype and andy c, fucking love that mix! in fact ima stick it on now :D

I signed the petition stee. Never having been to Fabric I comment it was a major tourist pull and part of the city's music / dance heritage and culture.

Reminds me about the losses of the Archies in Glasgow. Gutting, terrible end of an era.

Mylo - Drop The Pressure

no surprise there, but to wake up to this....

UK Dance Music 1987 - 2016 RIP

isnt this just a continuation of the govt policy to first regulate and control an industry to then close it down? First they did the Criminal justice act. That destroyed the large free party network forcing it to move into licenses venues or go even further underground. Then we have the gradual removal of these licenses over the years to reduce the availability.

Attendance to clubs has reduced.

In the end they just force it back underground and start the cycle again. I don't like the big club mentality never seen one which wasn't simply about the money

^
Totally agree.

But there is a history and culture there that it's good to see young / new people engage with and enjoy.

...I don't like the big club mentality never seen one which wasn't simply about the money

Think of the loss of jobs there.

Culture of drugs causes license to be revoked

Like some other posters above I am no fan of superclubs but I definitely hate prohibition ignorance more. Islington Council apparently debated for a whole hour before reaching their ignorant decision. To his credit, Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, has come out in favour of defending Fabric.

Islington council have a reputation for being left-wing that has never been justified. This is just the latest in a long line of wrong decisions taken for the wrong reasons while thinking they are right-on.

I hope free parties spring up all over N1.

Culture of drugs causes license to be revoked

Like some other posters above I am no fan of superclubs but I definitely hate prohibition ignorance more. Islington Council apparently debated for a whole hour before reaching their ignorant decision. To his credit, Sadiq Khan, London Mayor, has come out in favour of defending Fabric.

Islington council have a reputation for being left-wing that has never been justified. This is just the latest in a long line of wrong decisions taken for the wrong reasons while thinking they are right-on.

I hope free parties spring up all over N1.

It's most likely just a front to turn the building into new build luxury apartments, using 'a culture of drugs' as an excuse seems like their best bet

^
Totally agree.

But there is a history and culture there that it's good to see young / new people engage with and enjoy.

Think of the loss of jobs there.

Yeh on a human level not great.

Agree re culture but I guess the argument would be how much more culture can be created when their are no shackles or playlists or policies to abide to.

Interesting reading the Wikipedia update - basically as what's been suggested total set up clear the space for something more lucrative IE a desperate council.

^
Aye you and SMN aren't wrong. There's a bigger agenda here.

The deaths in the MET custody are shocking :|

Originally the police had written a report on Fabric praising it as a "happy place" and a benefit to London nightlife. Then, two years ago, with budget cuts hurting, Islington Council demanded a different inquiry from the Met. This inquiry was code named, wait for it, 'Operation Lenor'. Think about it. Lenor. Fabric conditioner.

Taking the piss or what?

(And yes, this report condemned Fabric as a depraved place where people "visibly red-eyed and therefore on drugs" caused fights and problems for Islington. Coz everyone on ecstasy wants a fight right?)

It's all about attracting foreign money to London until the city becomes one giant housing estate for wealthy foreigners and the poor can fuck off to Coventry or somewhere.

This was planned from two years ago. Operation Lenor. Fuck me.

Originally the police had written a report on Fabric praising it as a "happy place" and a benefit to London nightlife. Then, two years ago, with budget cuts hurting, Islington Council demanded a different inquiry from the Met. This inquiry was code named, wait for it, 'Operation Lenor'. Think about it. Lenor. Fabric conditioner.

Taking the piss or what?

(And yes, this report condemned Fabric as a depraved place where people "visibly red-eyed and therefore on drugs" caused fights and problems for Islington. Coz everyone on ecstasy wants a fight right?)

It's all about attracting foreign money to London until the city becomes one giant housing estate for wealthy foreigners and the poor can fuck off to Coventry or somewhere.

This was planned from two years ago. Operation Lenor. Fuck me.

Bloody hell, that's crazy stuff. Wtf. The Council will have a strategy likely for housing and places like Fabric must have been marked in that for those 2 years.

Operation lenor 8( I can't get over how corrupt that is :|

Operation Lenor !!! :D :D :D

Fucking gotta laugh.

I remember when walking to Bagleys in the late 90s in its semi-derelict surroundings in kings cross felt proper shady, anyone been to the area lately? Waitrose, expensive restaurants, shops, food market and loads of plush apartments.... virtually unrecognisable.

With all the work for Crossrail happening in Farringdon and all the other development taking place it wont be long before Fabric is a distant memory too.