sassafrass oil...carcinogenic?

bliss

Bluelighter
I'm up studying for my Bio exam tomorrow, a class I rarely attend. I'm reading the unit on plants and It must have come up in at least 3 different chapters about how sassafrass oil is a carcinogen. It's from my bio book, not any anti-drug propaganda. I never heard that sassafrass oil is a carcinogen, and seeing how MDMA is derrived from sassafrass oil, is E potentially a cancer causing drug?
Just wondering...
------------------
"There's a lot of uncertainty that's not clear in my mind"--Texas Speaker of the House, Gib Lewis

From what I understand, sassafras oil is a carcinogen. It has been used in the past in aromatherapy and perfumery, but is no longer in general use. It isn't a potent cancer causing chemical, only midly so.
Sassafras oil consists of several chemicals. First you extract the Saffrole and then convert through many steps into MDMA (Ecstasy). By the time you've converted it, the final product bears little or no resemblance to Sassafras Oil. It is very unlikely that MDMA is cancer causing, for this reason.

i have also heard or read somewhere that straight sassafras oil is carcinogenic, but once mdxx has been made as far as i know it has no carcinogenic properties. i hope this makes sense, i have a case of the flu right now. ugh. anyway, take care to all!
peace!
smile.gif

------------------
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

sassafras oil is carcinogenic due to its high safrole content. the only item of interest from the sassafras oil is the safrole, and is extracted from the oil. then, using various techniques, the safrole is reacted with several different reagents. through these processes, the safrole is structurally and chemically altered to become a different entity altogether, and does not retain its carcinogenic properties.