View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

San Pedro storage

Axed

Bluelighter
I'm planning on getting a San Pedro cutting soon, but I probably won't be able to cook it down for a while. How long will it be good for? What's the proper way to store it?

Someone told me to 'stress' the cactus -- keep it in a dark place and occasionally nick it with a knife. Is this true?

Also, if I do cook it, how long would the resulting cactus sludge last?

Cacti are by nature incredibly hardy plants. San Pedro is included, you don't need to worry about it going bad or anything. I would just say, don't keep it in plastic, or anywhere exceptionally warm. Let it be dry, keep it cool-ish. It should keep for months and months this way.

I had one of my cacti fall down a flight of stairs, and the top broke off. I repotted it, and kept the broken off bit around intending to repot it, but didn't get around to it for about 6 months, maybe longer. The broken bit was shrivelled up quite a bit, and was sending out roots trying to find water. When I finally planted it, it started taking up water right away, and it looks really healthy now. This top that broke off was very small, like the size of half your little finger, I was really impressed it didn't die.

I don't know about stressing the cactus, I've heard that helps, but just not sure. Probably the fact that it has been cut from the plant, shipped to you, and is getting stored for some time will be some stress for the plant.

I would guess the sludge would go bad very quickly, wait until you're ready to consume it.

I think they found a peyote in a cave somewhere and the mescaline was still active after about 5 thousand years so you should be good for a while yet.

"Store" it? I guess you mean keep it alive..

Cacti may be hardy but you can certainly kill it if you keep them on a draft or other inappropriate conditions, as I have found out personally, I think it was indeed a San Pedro that I managed to kill in my student days.

The mescaline will not degrade, but when you let all the tissue it is embedded in spoil it won't be any good to consume unless you extract that ugly mess. So keep the cactus alive, or harvest it properly and dry it quickly before it rots if you don't consume it right away.

There should be ample information on the internetz how to keep a San Pedro, or even how to make it produce more alkaloids by stressing or doping (gotta love that option :D ).

"Store" it? I guess you mean keep it alive..

Cacti may be hardy but you can certainly kill it if you keep them on a draft or other inappropriate conditions, as I have found out personally, I think it was indeed a San Pedro that I managed to kill in my student days.

I kept a cutting of pedro in a dark cupboard in my kitchen for well over a year (I forgot about it) and it was still growing in there. Granted the growth was completely free of pigment and a lot thinner than the rest of the cutting but it had managed to find water in the air to use. No potency lost either. I wanted to experiment with the albino growth to test if that amount of stress cause any noticeable increase in mesc content, but my original cacti got stolen :(

As long as you completely dry out the cut end of it so that it doesn't go mouldy you should be fine to store it for a couple of months at least.

Here's a question I have on the topic: What about freezing? I cut a foot long piece off my cactus recently and I immediately put it in the freezer. How long can I keep it frozen? i intend to make it into tea.

If the cactus is not dried before freezing it can go gooey since freezing and thawing can make cell walls burst. So in that case I hope you intend to immediately make a smoothie from it, otherwise you got yourself some goo on your hands.

..but as long as you keep it frozen, it will store indefinitely. The mescaline probably won't degrade to any degree within the next millenium.

i've once made a few san pedro cuttings and let them sit in a box in the cellar until i'd do an extraction, but then forgot about them. 3 years later i found them and discovered that they had been growing and making roots, figured that an extraction would be too much of a hassle, and planted them again. really san pedro is almost impossible to kill, especially if you let the cut surfaces dry before storing them and keep them in a dry place.

I brought mine out last year in the Spring, and it froze overnight unexpectedly, and I came out in the morning and they were shriveled and collapsed into goo. I'd had them for like 4 years, I was super sad about it, I felt really bad for quite a while, they were my friends. :(

that's sad. i found them not too sensitive to frost. in the last years in autumn i still had them outside when it had a few degrees below zero and it didn't do any harm (in stark contrast to my habanero).

That is sad...
Yeah I think Trichocereus can handle a little bit of frost, but it's a bit dicey. That reminds me, time to get mine outside for the season... should be past the last day of freezing here.

Black: 3 years? Thats amazing!

Man, I wonder how unlucky I got? It wasn't even that cold, just like 28 degrees F. One single night I left them out and they were utterly dead when I came out the next morning.

If it was that cold for a long enough time, they could freeze solid and die for sure. Heartbreaking.
I had my 4 year old peyote plant uprooted and crushed by my innocent toddler son. It was sad but I really couldn't be upset about it. It was pretty tiny anyways.

sorry to go off topic , but ...

If trichs are skinned and dried for long term storage is there a significant loss of alkaloid ?
Is sun - drying okay ?

thanks .

thanks - it dries very slowly when shaded . I have read of lophs being dried in the sun , so am hoping it is okay for trichs also without losing potency .

We take the spines off, then slice it into half inch thick "stars" then chuck those in the freezer. When its time to trip we take out the stars, weigh them (125-500gr for a trip), blenderize them in their own weight of fruit juice and drink the cactus snot by the glass.

Freeze it, dry it (you're likely to get good results in a food dehydrator, which is essentially a heater with a fan), or keep it growing. Mescaline is a very hardy compound, but you don't want to ingest mold.

ebola