View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

San Pedro/Mescaline Help

tripwithme

Greenlighter
Hey guys and gals I'm looking for some assistance regarding some mescaline a friend made,

So my friend made some mescaline and used 1000 grams of powdered san pedro cactus skin with 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol. It made 14 grams of a very sticky, dark tar. I am wondering just how much I should take? Also how I should take it, I've seen many forums saying to sprinkle on some flour and roll into small balls. Any knowledge would be appreciated as this is my first mescaline/san pedro experience!

Thanks fellow psychonauts
heart.gif

It's difficult to give you any more than a really rough dosing guide for your cactus extract, as i've never weighed the fresh cactus before boiling it down or making an extraction.
1 kg of powdered, dry cactus sounds like a pretty hefty lump of cactus, and the amount of active alkaloids in there can vary depending on the health, genetics and the environment the cactus was growing in.

Two things i would point out though:
1. You may find the process of ingesting cactus extract quite challenging. I have tasted some pretty bitter drugs, but san pedro cactus goop will always stand out as an undertaking simply to consume.
For this (and the next) reason, i feel it is relatively sound harm reduction advice to suggest that you consume much as you feel comfortable swallowing without vomiting, and tartrating your dose as you begin to feel the mescaline (and other actives in san pedro) taking effect.
While it can take a few hours to peak, you should be able to gauge the intensity of the experience, at least to some degree, as the trip comes on.
If you have consumed a certain intended dosage (a proportion - maybe 10% or 20% of your extract, ) but don't feel much an hour later, i would eat some more and wait a bit longer before deciding if you want to redose again.
I have never worked with dried cactus flesh, but it seems safe to assume you have a pretty large amount of material there - i don't have the knowledge to hazard a guess on the relative potency of it - but imagine you'd be completely safe taking half a gran or 500mg of the sticky tar you have there as a starting dose.

2. Compared to other classic psychedelics (such as LSD and psilocybe mushrooms), mescaline is a pretty gentle psychedelic.
In my limited experience with it, i have never felt anything even resembling the sort of "freak out" potential of acid or shrooms.
Mescaline - for me - is a much more empathogenic substance; some of the effects resemble something like MDMA with a much longer duration - as well as being quite sedating, "earthy" and "warm" feeling.

In terms of potency per weight, mescaline is also a lot less strong than LSD or psilocin - with active dose ranges often being in the 200mg+ range (of pure mescaline), with some people reporting that they need at least 500mg of pure mescaline to reach desired effects.

As your cactus extract may contain a whole lot of other oils and plant materials besides mescaline, testing the potency of the extract by ingesting half a gram should give you an indication of how much you'll want to take.
I really have no data to base this assumption on, but i am guessing that what you have is far from being pure mescaline - but considering you have extracted and concentrated ~1000g into 14g, it is probably wise to approach dosing as if it is really strong.
Not having done an isopropyl extraction, i'm afraid i don't have any idea how strong it will be, but to be perfectly honest, the stronger (in terms of mescaline) the better - as san pedro tastes so strong that it can be difficult to eat in large amounts.

As for dosing technique - do you have any gel caps?
I used these for a cactus extract once, that ended up being so weak that i was scraping up fairly big chunks of this dried cactus goop, wrapping it in a cigarette paper and washing it down with water.
The flour may work - it should help solidify your extract if it is still runny or a liquid.
Just be careful to test this in a small amount though - if it ends up making the ma a doughy or sticky consistency, it might be hard to swallow or wash down - so it might be best to experiment a bit before deciding on your preferred way to take it.

I used cigarette papers, in the end, like people do when improving "bombing" powders and such - wrapping dry extract in the paper the avoid getting the full taste of it, and to make it easier to swallow.
Because that particular extract was so weak, we were taking larger doses than we could fit into a gel cap - but if your extract has been more successful as that misguided attempt (!) you shouldnt need to go to such lengths to ingest huge quantities of extracted product.

All that is really just a longwinded way of saying "start low, and patiently observe the effects of the drug before deciding to ingest any more".
Mescaline tends to have a really pleasant euphoric body high which sometimes involves a bit of nausea in the early stages of the trip, especially when your digestive system is working its way through a dose of concentrated cactus extract.

Some people drink a little bit of ginger tea to help with this nausea. I am also careful not to force myself to ingest too much cactus extract or tea in an effort to get it down, as sometimes this just makes you feel sick and it would be a real waste to vomit up a belly full of san pedro alkaloids.

Apologies if these thoughts are a bit rambled and non-linear.
I think it is best to assume that your extract is very potent, and to approach it with the utmost care.

Once i have a sense of how strong it is, i can generally tell the approximate boundaries of a comfortable experience - and to be honest, even with a couple of feet of fresh san pedro cactus (i've not worked with dried material to make any quantative comparisons)i have never felt like i have consumed "too much" - it is a fairly gentle psychedelic in reasonable doses, and my extraction techniques have always been fairly rudimentary.

Having said that, i wouldn't want to give you the impression that you can't overdo it or end up in an uncomfortable place due to taking too much.
A kilo of dried cactus powder sounds like a pretty hefty amount of cactus, and if the extract has isolated the desired actives (afraid i don't know a lot about extraction techniques with different solvents), i would presume that you have a few doses there.

But there are so many variables, the best i can really do is suggest you have respect for the power of psychedelics, and dose carefully, using your best judgment and seeing how you feel.
You can always take more - but once you've ingested some extract, you cannot take less.

Good luck getting the stuff down - hopefully you won't need to take too much to get a nice effect.
I find an acidic drink (such as a citrus juice of some kind) helps a bit in relieving the intense bitterness of san pedro cactus extracts.
Happy tripping! :)