Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

San Pedro Inquiry

:^)

Greenlighter
Hello fellow explorers,
I'm currently preparing 14-15 pounds of San Pedro with this (my preferred) process: 1. De-spine 2. Chop into stars 3. Desiccate 4. Blend & enjoy. I've always used all but the spines in this process, but I've been lucky to have only run into minimal amounts of the woody part of the core (i.e. they were easy to cut with any serrated knife). This round, though, several of the cactus portions have a woody portion that is almost impenetrable with a standard kitchen serrated knife, like a column of strong toothpicks.

My question is, is this woody portion edible? The stars are fan dried then placed in a desiccant chamber before being blended to a fine powder, so as far as I can tell the woody portion would be indiscernible in the final product as it would all be a dry powder and so there would be no need to go through and painstakingly remove it. Does anyone have any insight on this? Has anyone ever consumed the woody part? Is there any reason to think it would cause digestion problems etc.? Any educated guesses and reasonings are very welcome.

p.s. TomorrowWorld2014 ftw

I read somewhere that the core can increase nausea. Why not just cut the flesh and skin off in strips? Most of the actives are in the skin so if you loose some flesh along the way it shouldn't be an issue.

That's the core. It's supposed to contain minimal (if any) mescaline, and like Spiral Arm says, increase nausea as well. I'd toss it if it's being a bitch.

Spiral Arm: Yeah, that's essentially what I ended up doing as I was cutting the other pieces, but I also removed (for use) the flesh within the woody core and discarding the "wood". When you say core increases nausea, are you including the flesh within the woody part?
Stanley, have you ever happened to see a reliable source for the core containing so little mescaline? All I've found seems to be hearsay.
Also, a good bit of the stars already have the actual woody portion in them (it was a bitch to cut through). Do you guys think its enough of a problem (severe enough nausea) that I should go through and remove it?

I wouldn't put too much effort into it. People also say that the waxy skin causes nausea as well, but the one time I removed it from several feet of cactus, I had the worst nausea ever. I just accept that puking is part of the experience, but you might be able to get around that by spreading out your consumption of the cactus over a period of time.