View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Salvia Through Skin

Elinisti

Bluelighter
Can Salvia be absorbed through skin? I thought of soaking it in some oil that absorbs quickly into the skin.

No, I don't think so. The only other way to take it than smoking, is sublingual. Make a tea and keep it in your mouth, or just chew the fresh leaves, if what you have is fresh.

Any scientific source or experiences? I'd think it would absorb through the skin if it absorbs through the mucus membranes...

Your skin is not a mucous membrane, it is meant specifically as a line of defense against the environment whereas mucous membranes are not; many are designed specifically for absorption of nutrients etc.
If you were to do it you would need to make it as concentrated as possible and apply it in the form of a patch; for things to be absorbed effectively through the skin they need to be in constant contact for a good period of time.
If you just drop the oil solution on your skin it will just get wicked away very quickly.

I thought of spreading it on a large area around and in my underarms, similar to flying ointments. I've got some special oil that gets sucked into skin literally in seconds.

No, I don't have any experiences or sources for what I said. I think it's a well-known fact though, that salvia divinorum has a pretty bad bioavailability, but I think you should just go ahead with your "flying ointment", and then report back afterwards :)

I still don't think it will work, but what do I know right?

...salvia divinorum has a pretty bad bioavailability...

This is what I was thinking that wouldn't salvia then skip (through skin) the GI tract or whatever in a similar way as if it would absorb through mucus membranes? But I haven't got any idea what kind of substances generally get absorbed through the skin with oil...

I don't think you will get any salvia at all into your bloodstream, even if your skin absorbs the oil. The only way I could see it work is with DMSO. And that I still doubt would work.

But as I said, you're on the frontier now. Try it and report back. :)

I think it depends on the lipophilicity (fat solubility) of the compound... from what I recall fentanyl as freebase (nonpolar) actually has high bioavailibility, LSD tartrate (polar) in DMSO doesn't.

With a predicted LogP of about 1.6 vs fentanyl's logP of 4.0, that works out that salvinorin A is about 300 times less fat soluble. So I guess it could work, but you'd need to use a lot of salvia.