View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

salvia purity

elstongunn39

Bluelighter
Salvia divinorum is unregulated and sold at smoke shops, the way spice used to be. This brings the question of purity and additives/contaminants to my mind. "Spice" was notorious for varying wildly in effects and sometimes containing harmful chemicals. I haven't seen many studies showing the contents of different salvia brands. I guess, though, I assume additives are not necessary as enhanced salvia is extremely strong by itself. Any thoughts?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/545626 this study is all i've found so far

Salvia extracts sold at headshops should almost uniformly be sourced from real salvia, the question is more that of how it's standardized, and what kind of shelf life is expected.

There aren't any synthetic kappa opioid agonists that are as short-acting and non-orally-active as salvinorin A (and synthetic salvinorins are expensive compared to doing acetone extractions of S. divinorum and evaporating it onto crushed leaves), so that limits the possibility of "Spice"/"K2" type fake salvia. Part of why the whole synthetic cannabis shit took off like a rocket was the incredibly low bulk cost (due to ease of synthesis) and high potency of the JWH series synthetic cannabinoids. There's no real analogy for salvia-type hallucinogens... yet.

The worst I've heard of is inactive material being sold. I've not heard of pesticide or other contamination in salvia extracts.