• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Salvia Mohavensis

salvinorin is waxy and solid, so
do not expect it to waft away over time.
it is stable in heat and cold, and resistant to polar solvents like water.
if just terpenes, and no salvinorin, then the sage is not worth thinking seriously about in this context except as topical medicine or flavoring.

Not necessarily. Who the devil would have predicted that a terpene like salvinorin A would be a potent psychedelic kappa OR agonist? If that terpene, and analogs of it, such as herkinorin can be active opioidergics (herkinorin is an interesting one, its a functionally selective agonist of Mu-opioid receptors that appears not to induce beta-arrestin II recruitment on activation of MORs and as such ought to produce less tolerance than typical unselective opioids.

'no nitrogen? chuck it out then' would be a crap approach to natural chemistry and discovery. We'd never have found out about say, cardiac glycosides and their use in medicine might not be currently in place. Then there is lagochilin from Lagochilus inebrians, aka intoxicating mint, a diterpene. Sure, most psychoactives are alkaloids, but that doesn't mean terpenoid psychoactives aren't out there hiding in some undiscovered plant or little-known native botanical treasure.

you do have a point regarding unforseen actives among the terpenes, Salvinorin A, however, and this is my main point, is extremely stable. It is a hard wax and is not going to be lost in vapor or sublimation in any environment that humans can live in.

Other terpene type molecules could be volatile.

@Anonymous- Did you learn any of your information about Salvia nemorosa from DrugForums? Was the OP ghetto Chem by chance? :)

I've worked with Salvia nemorosa, Russian sage (not a salvia species but effects are close to S. Nemmy) as well as a few other Salvia species which were less active and exciting. I made some really good threads on the topics 6-8yrs ago.

@Pupnik, you are right it's my belief the actives are volatile as the potency is lost with drying. If mohavensis has similar actives then this would be the same here too.

I found for S. Nemorosa and Russian Sage (both close in effect) that they resemble cannabis or a benzodiazepine over a psychedelic substance. S. Nemorosa being more benzodiazepine like and Russian Sage more cannabis like.

I found the most effective way for S. Nemorosa was to take the fresher younger leaves and quid them fresh for 15-45min. 10-20 leaves is good. You WILL feel an effect although it can be subtle, it's a good cannabis substitute that can be found in most yards.

Russian Sage, is best when you take the stalks and scrape the powdery residue off. Get enough for a big hit then carefully smoke this, put it on a little dried leaf so it doesn't melt down the hole. This is can be very strong and first time I tried it caught me off guard, it felt similar to a cannabis OD (aka freaking out for no reason, highly physical sensation) and was also treated the same way with fatty foods and milk. I could see how this could be psychedelic in a similar way to cannabis as I did have some weird psychedelic effects that first experience.

These plants are under researched and likely if extracted in the right way could provide some useful substances. Russian Sage powder though is potent just the way it is, I suggest people give it a try.

If anyone would like I can link my old threads on these similar species..

-GC

What is the binomial taxonomic nomenclature for the russian sage? there seem to be few phytocannabinoid producing species around and this could be invaluable for research.

Perovskia atriplicifolia. Not a Salvia but seems to have similar components.

This was years ago mind you but I remember b-caryophyllene (sp?) and apigenin (sp?) being two substances found in these plants which contribute to the high. Thujone is also found in Russian Sage.

B-caryophyllene is found in rather large amounts in cannabis. It hits on CB2 but not CB1, which doesn't really effect the euphoric feel good parts of the experience. It seemed from my research these plants worked better for cannabis users looking for a substitute than others. It's my belief that this substance can kind of fill the hole that cannabis leaves since it's taking care of the CB2 at least.

Apigenin has benzodiazepine like properties, it's also found in chamomile but likely in lower doses. It may also degrade with drying by my research so that would explain dried chamomile's weak effect.

Thujone, well most know a good amount about it but just incase it seems to have an effect somewhat akin to cannabis but can also be dangerous if dosed too high. It has antagonist effects on GABA and can induce seizures, this is why absinthe can have a clear headed effect when thujone is involved.

Here's a thread of mine from way back on Russian Sage..

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/russian-sage-extract-bioassay.155475/

-GC

Thujone would have not cannabis like effects, but provocation of anxiety, panic, at larger doses, shrieking agonies of terror, and eventually death by means of the convulsant effect.

Nasty way to start, nastier way to go. The only reason it isn't the same in absinthe, is that A-A GABAa agonist/positive allosteric modulator is present, with antiglutamatergic effects (NMDA antagonism for example, which would help suppress fear, and diminish the overexcess of excitatory vs inhibitory signalling, via lowering excitatory signalling to compensate to a degree with the lessened inhibitory tone), and also the small quantities present in absinthe. It is also known to be hepatotoxic. In absinthe, if the effect is other than placebo, it is simply the GABAa antagonst effects prevented from being essentially artificial benzo or barb withdrawal by the GABAa activating effect of alcohol, each lessening the effect of each other.

^^Its antagonistic effect on gaba would suggest this and high doses can cause an unpleasant possibly dangerous OD but low doses do resemble a "cannabis-like" effect.

Have you looked at experience reports for plants which contain thujone?? They all resemble cannabis and are often compared as such.. My own experiences go along with this notion.

I'm sorry limpet but you seem to talk like you definitively know how certain drugs will act that you've never even tried at all.. (Your MDA thread also comes to mind.. You ask how a drug will effect you then tell others how it will after you get advice from people who've ACTUALLY TRIED the substance. But you know best of course, because your a highly intellectual autie that is above all the "NT's" around you..)

-GC

Pereskovia Atriplicafolia is the exact species.

I tried three hits in about a two minute interval and had a very similar experience to the last trial. In a few days I will try raising the dose slightly as no negative effects have been noted. I should also mention I buy a cheap pipe each time I try a new smokable, so effects cannot be attributed to residue of anything else.

Last edited:
@ G-chem: I was already using Russian sage when that thread was posted, but it's one of the only useful threads on it. Too little is still too unknown.

After smoking 5 hits over a 3 minute interval, which produced similar euphoriant effects to my prior trials, but with the additional effect if marked color enhancement and trails on par with strong cannabis. So far, nothing psychedelic has been observed, but today's trial makes me wonder if it might be more than a euphoriant at higher doses. As with prior trials, no negative effects were observed. I'm going to wait a few days, then try a 7 or 8 hits in rapid succession to see where it goes. I still need to try using a torch like I did with salvia divinorum on this and see. nemorosa. I'll post updates and possibly a trip report, depending on how my next trial goes. If any hint of true psychedelic effects, I will be sure to post a TR summarizing the information I have gathered and bioassay results.

I was speaking of thunjone itself, without its action modified by other compounds (as with say the interaction in absinthe, although these days there is little thujone in it, many countries limit it legally, because its hepatotoxic)

And it is a KNOWN convulsant, here, I'll post the wikipedia article on thujone, which cites plenty of research journals, and provides summaries taken from some of them, including the fact that 60mg/kg thujone in mice was 100% lethal within minutes, convulsions being the cause of fatality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

I don't NEED to try some drugs to know exactly what they will do. I don't need to dose myself with sarin or VX to know they cause hypersecretion of fluids, convulsions, paralysis, ocular miosis and if in sufficient quantity, death. Or GABAa antagonists to know what happens to the poor bastard who'd experience such a thing. (actually, perhaps nerve agents are a bad example, unfortunately I've experienced that, although not one of the military agents, it was from a plant source. Not entirely dissimilar to being bitten by widow spiders [Latrodectus], which via a different mechanism, causes a similarly massive excess of acetylcholine to be present when it shouldn't be. Either feels like you got run over by a tank whilst being beaten senseless with baseball bats. EVERYTHING hurts)

Besides, I've read of poisonings with the oil of Thuja species (a Cedar tree genus), and convulsive effects were evident, the evidence supports exactly the kind of effects I described. I need not poison myself with any of them to know what they do. And other GABAa antagonists are also convulsants, such as tetramine, silatrane, picrotoxin, bicuculline etc. and they are known to cause panicogenic, and convulsant effects.

And look at say benzo withdrawal or barb withdrawal, both resulting in a deficiency of GABAa sensitivity. Its fuck all to do with me being autistic, and everything to do with basic pharmacology and logical extrapolation. If afaik all other GABAa antagonists cause such effects, then it stands to reason that thujone too, will do so. And it has been tested via bioassay in animals and found to do so.

After refreshing my supply of s. mohavensis, I intend to begin my trials again. As an experiment, I kept a single bowl worth of the flower to see how long the material is useful. After just a couple months, in a cool, light free location, the old material is inactive. Once I dry this batch overnight, I'll begin trials again shortly. Updates to come in the near future!

I started a thread on the new salvinorin a&b containing salvia species found last year in Europe here.

I wonder if what you're smoking contains small amounts of either, hence being active?

My sages are finally starting to flower due to a cold, long, wet spring this year, so my trials with this plant will commence again within weeks.

As to the delosperma, the exact species is delosperma cooperi, and a quality, crystalline dmt/5-meo-dmt (ratio varies seasonally, though not as drastically as one might expect) extract can be made from it with everything required available at lowes or home depot. Defatting can be a bitch though...

My sages are finally starting to flower due to a cold, long, wet spring this year, so my trials with this plant will commence again within weeks.

As to the delosperma, the exact species is delosperma cooperi, and a quality, crystalline dmt/5-meo-dmt (ratio varies seasonally, though not as drastically as one might expect) extract can be made from it with everything required available at lowes or home depot. Defatting can be a bitch though...
Have you attempted to do that? (the delosperma process)
I have some plants here, I don't know if it's really need to defat and do a hard-ass extraction.. I've seen several reports of Delosperma being active in a similar way as kanna (Sceletium species) just quidding a bunch in your mouth...(yeah, oxalates and all that..)
maybe it's just a threshold feeling of sublingual 5-meo?