Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Salvia 20X - salvia noob - never smoking again

fractalality

Greenlighter
I had heard of salvia divinorum for a few years but only recently decided to try it. I've had past experience with hallucinogens, but not salvia.

I had read up on it, watched a lot of videos (incl. McKenna), then bought some 20X extract (it's legal in my state). I thought anything lower would not give an "experience", just maybe cause laughter or stupor.

In most of the videos I saw people either just sit in a stupor, laugh a lot, drop to the floor, wave their arms, or wander aimlessly a bit. It appeared they were mostly disoriented for about 4 minutes then became lucid again. At the same time, those reactions kind of suggested to me that smoking it was actually causing a sudden overdose. But it seemed to be the standard method (quidding seemed way too impractical).

I have no friends who would understand my trying salvia, so I elected to try it alone. I tried to make sure the room I would be in was clear of any items that could be hazardous to trip over or bump into. I was thinking of recording it all on my iPod, but decided it might make me too self-conscious.

I sat down on the couch. I put an amount that was about the size of an American nickel into a regular metal pipe. Using a Bic lighter I took a long drag, immediately put down the pipe into a metal pan, holding the smoke in for about 30 seconds. I immediately went into what I guess would be "level 5" (http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html) where I was quickly falling away from reality. I instinctively tried to "grab at it and pull myself back in", feeling like I was trying to climb up a down escalator. It was very similar to peaking on acid, but so sudden and vivid I just reacted w/o thinking. Suddenly there was a loud crash, and I became aware of where I was. I was standing in front of what remained of my computer desk. Somehow I had walked over to it, grabbed it, and pulled it in such a way that it completely broke and collapsed. The monitor, keyboard, mouse, router, modem, papers, pens, shredded documents, etc. were all over the floor, a trash can crushed.

Luckily I wasn't injured at all. It's a good thing I didn't yank down one of the 6' tall book cases instead.

I sat down on the couch again to get my bearings. I decided to put on some music (Laura Nyro, I needed something very mellow) and while still very buzzed, began cleaning up. It's interesting, and exhausting, to completely disconnect and dismantle a computer set up while on salvia. I moved all the hardware to another room, and moved the remnants of the desk into the hallway. All the while ruminating on how and why I destroyed my desk. I had seen no examples of anyone doing anything even remotely like this in videos.

Of course there was the issue of using 20X as a first time, plus doing it alone. Two mistakes. So this is in part a cautionary tale I guess.

However...

It definitely took me to a place I had been to before, and had been wanting to revisit. But it was too powerful and too brief. So I threw out the pipe, I knew I wasn't going to do that again.

A few days later I tried putting salvia under my tongue to see what that would do, which isn't much it turns out. But in the last couple days I've tried making a tea with it, and that has been very interesting, and is a much better experience. I'll be making some separate posts about that.

try 1/4 that dose
don't throw all your goodies in the trash because you miscalculated
at least salvia is not toxic,
with some other drugs you could be dead from overdoing your dose by 4

try 1/4 that dose
don't throw all your goodies in the trash because you miscalculated

Thanks. I thought about doing a reduced amount, but the experience from smoking seems very short, plus I wasn't sure how to test that w/o another "incident".

at least salvia is not toxic,
with some other drugs you could be dead from overdoing your dose by 4
Agreed, and I counted on that. But the "property damage" was not a risk I anticipated at all. I figured I would stumble over a table at worst.

I'm finding making a drink out of it has a wonderful effect that is still pretty strong & trippy. It starts gradually, lasts an hour or so, but I remain able to function and can actually process what's going on. It's lovely walking in the park on a nice day in that state. I've done two really nice sessions using up maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of extract. I'm going to play with that for a while, see how it goes.