• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Safety of Xyrem/GHB used for sleep quality

Hyperflux

Bluelighter
I've had horrendous sleep quality for the last few years and I've tried my absolute best to narrow it down. Bloodwork and hormones (from an endo) are perfect, sleep hygiene is perfect and lifestyle factors like stress/depression/anxiety are fine too. I just don't wake up feeling well rested no matter what. I also got tested for sleep apnea but no dice. I have been waiting 2 years now for an in-lab sleep study but I'm tired of waiting.

I'm fairly sure I have some sort of sleeping disorder so I'd like to try gabapentin/baclofen/pregablin but those drugs do have side effects and aren't as good as Xyrem/GHB for pure sleep quality.

I know that there is a lot out there on GHB and sleep but I figured it's a good idea to have a new thread. Xyrem is prescribed at 4.5g twice a night on an empty stomach, is there any risks on using it long-term this way?

My biggest concern is the increase in prolactin - it would have a deleterious effect on dopamine and long-term motivation/energy/drive/libido. The supposed neurotoxicity from NMDA dysregulation shouldn't be too hard to fix with something like agmatine.

I've procured some GHB from the streets last week and have tried it three times so far. I can't attest to its purity but at this point I'm willing to try anything. On Sunday, I was on a fully empty stomach and took 4.5g and slept extremely well! I actually woke up 7 hours later feeling good via the dopamine rebound, not after 3-4 hours that most people get.

On Tuesday I tried 4.5g again but still had food in my stomach from four hours earlier. The result is that I got very pleasantly high and wanted to dance around my room to music and fuck the shit out of a chick. I couldn't sleep at all. I know that food + GHB changes its pharmacodynamics so that its absorbed only 42% and it stretches out its pharmacokinetics.

Last night (Friday), I tried 10.7g on a completely full stomach (I calculated that 4.5g / 0.42 = 10.7g on a full stomach). Same result, couldn't sleep. The high wasn't very pleasant this time and I just felt dizzy/a bit nauseous like a high dose phenibut.

My theory is that you need GHB to act quickly to "knock you out" into that sweet sleep coma but that can only happen on a fully empty stomach to complement its pharmacokinetics.

Anyway, I kind of went on a tangent there. Any info or insight is appreciated as always! I'm thinking for now I can use it 1-3x a week as needed, 4.5g on a fully empty stomach.

Seroquel takes a week or two to adjust to. Nearly everyone reports that zonged out drowsy feeling at first..

I'm a chronic insomniac and the only other med I've used long term that has helped me sleep is olanzapine.

If you're going days or even weeks without sleeping perhaps a short stay in a acute mental health ward will improve your sleep pattern.

IME psychiatric doctors are far better at treating conditions that are mental than normal GPs.

You didn't mention if you have been prescribed any benzodiazepine type of medication before but 10 mg of valium/daizapam taken at bedtime will aid sleep guaranteed but you should only use benzos daily for a short term period of time. Those types of meds are highly addictive and if you think you have problems now becoming dependent on valium and the withdrawals are just as bad if not worse than heroin.

As for using liquid GHB daily to sleep that's a habit that is as problematic as any other illegal drug habit. There's no quality control on liquid G. The risk of overdose is very real. GHB is only really useful for weekend meth heads and ravers who use it to ease a stimulant come down.

What's your diet like? Cutting out all caffeine drinks in the evening and starting to have days without drinking any alcoholic drinks can make a big difference. Whatever you do don't mix alcoholic drinks with liquid G

One thing I've learnt in my life is taking any illegal street sourced subtance to help sleep is like digging yourself in to a hole that sets you up for disaster.

I struggled with insomnia my whole childhood and teenage years and at age 21 I started smoking super strong hydroponic grown weed daily and for a year and half I held down a job while smoking bongs in the evening and for most of that period I believed weed to be a wonder drug to aid sleep but eventually the habit caught up with me and I went crazy requiring a long stay in the mental hospital for psychosis which is like a nervous breakdown, all caused by hydroponic weed.

Trust me get medical assistance for your insomnia don't self medicate with illegal drugs

Using GHB unprescribed as a sleep aid, can you tell more how you came to the conclusion that this is your first choice.

I love GHB too but for sleep it wouldn't be my first choice, I could imagine it playing a role in a cycle of different sleep inducers. Purely imagination off course. 10,7 gr pure GHB is a humongeous dose that would render 99% of the population in semi coma, or worse. Or dry heaving when they resist. 4.5 is a lot Xyrem uses half of that one at the start of the sleep and one in the middle, if one would waken up. https://www.xyrem.com/xyrem-dosing-narcolepsy-cataplexy-eds#dosing

Before I forget as far as I am aware food in the worst case delays onset and duration. But if you have a link on the 42 please add. I will have a look into pharmakinetics tomorow I have no idea, I am not really into food on drugs ;)

Last edited:
Have you tried seroquel? it helps aid sleep

Isn't that a chemical straight jacket.

Please don't let it be anti-histamine type sedation as there are way less intrusive agents for that like Mirtazepine at 7.5, or lower.