• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Safe working out on 10mg Dexedrine?

Antisthenes

Greenlighter
Got narcolepsy, so wonder if it is safe to run fast and lift weights when using 10 mg of Dexedrine when I am 45 years old, 178 cm high, 84 kilo? Feel some slight pressure on the left side of the chest, but think it is only related to lifting weights. I will check blood pressure and pulse rate next week, but my GP don't know much about d-amph in relation to working out, so it would be nice to get some general advice from you guys if possible.

I don't smoke, eat healthy, and take vitamins to prevent the toxicity of Dexedrine. I seem to be naturally "immune" to amph, because 10 to 20 mg of Dexedrine the first times was for me like other people drinking a cup of coffee to stay awake. Running was fine, but slight chest pain started recently when lifting weights. My family has a history of mild heart issues.

I don't use more than 10 mg daily, as an alternative to drinking coffee. Working on a PhD thesis, and have studied neuroscience, so have the discipline of an academic. Feel no need to abuse this stuff.

Very generally speaking, are there studies which document the cardio risks of taking 10mg of amphetamines when being physically active and having no negative side effects in other regards?

And will 5mg of Desoxyn be better for the heart and brain than 10mg Dexedrine? My memory is excellent, and practice vipassana meditation, so don't want cortisol to weaken the hippocampus and the prefrontal cortex.

I highly doubt it at such a small dosage, at least as long as you have a healthy heart, but some structural or genetic weaknesses may present a small risk increase at those dosages.
I'm not aware of any formal studies assessing the risks but people on dextroamphetamine for ADHD are able to work out with no apparent risk, and since you are taking it daily your tolerance would lower the intensity of the effects.
If you're worried I would try the following; first check your heart rate and BP while first sober and resting and also sober and exercising to have a reference, and then check again on dex and resting.
If there is no significant or dangerous increase try light to moderate exercise and test yourself again and compare.

EDIT: Also as for qualitative effects, if you're exercising on any stim watch for symptoms of dizziness and light-headedness and if felt you should stop immediately and find somewhere to sit down. There is a definite possibility of fainting which is certainly no fun and could be pretty dangerous and or at very least embarrassing at a public gym.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply! Feel fine when working out, only the slight chest pain after lifting dumbbells, so guess it's not a problem, but will measure pulse and BP just in case, especially after reading warnings about the cardiotoxicity of amphetamines.

Really wished there were more detailed and nuanced studies describing the exact dosage and prior heart issues involved. If someone knows about such studies, and not just some general public warnings after a few "anecdotal" heart failures (that might have been caused by other things), please publish links.

Also I'm guessing you usually workout not long after taking your dose?
You could also try working out earlier before your dose or in the evening when the effects have largely worn off.

Having narcolepsy makes it easier to work out on stims naturally :)

Btw, me mentioning above the discipline of academics and no personal need for "abuse" does not mean I'm unaware of academic doping or that I have prejudice against those who like to use drugs recreationally. We all have our own subjective preferences, lifestyles and personal experiences. And science has no objective way to prove which one is best or true (in a specific situation of a given individual).