• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Safe to Redose Methadone

JDouglas

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I was given a bottle of methadone yesterday for Oxy withdrawals & took 15ml about 16 hours ago, it helped tremendously but I am starting to feel withdrawals again... I am not staying on it for a long period of time & am not using it to get high. I know it shouldn't be used without a script but I couldn't deal with the awful withdrawals because I need to work & already called in sick once because I was bed ridden for 24 hours. I have read up on the long half life & am trying my best to be cautious, I am just wondering if it's safe to Redose, & if I should take less then I originally have? Thanks in advance!

15 ml of what mg per ml? If it's the next day you're fine even without waiting the full 24 hours, but I recommend you wait to get the most out of it.

1mg/ml, so 15mg. Also I'm not taking anything else besides this, I read about 90% of fatalities happen from poly abusers, so I'm avoiding taking my remaining oxys, will probably just get rid of them. Thanks for the fast reply! Should I take the same dosage or less?

^You're definitely right to be cautious, but you also need to do your research and not let sensationalism dictate how you are going to deal with your problems. Methadone, like all powerful Opioid agonists, can kill and needs to be treated with respect, but in my opinion, in most instances involving an overdose, it's rarely a "complete coincidence". Usually, a mistake or two is made leading up to the event. This could be a decision to have a few drinks, take a Benzodiazepine etc., but you can't treat overdose like the boogeyman. It's not going to just sneak up on you if you do everything right.

A good metric for how much and when to take in terms of Methadone or any Opioid is going to be how you feel in terms of withdrawal. If you are indeed withdrawing physically from your previous Methadone dosage, it's likely that another (same) dosage can be tolerated no problem. Especially if it's as you say and you're not taking anything else in conjunction with the Methadone.

From here, I would recommend getting a good "baseline" with your Methadone. It works differently than Oxycodone in terms of its onset time and duration of action. Find out exactly how much is required for you to maintain yourself and for how long, then, mover forward with a taper.

A very important piece of information regarding the onset of action with Methadone, is that 3 hours is commonly cited as a "safe to redose" point, but in my experience, depending on stomach content and other variables, it can be as long as 5 hours before I experience the peak of effects.

^You're definitely right to be cautious, but you also need to do your research and not let sensationalism dictate how you are going to deal with your problems. Methadone, like all powerful Opioid agonists, can kill and needs to be treated with respect, but in my opinion, in most instances involving an overdose, it's rarely a "complete coincidence". Usually, a mistake or two is made leading up to the event. This could be a decision to have a few drinks, take a Benzodiazepine etc., but you can't treat overdose like the boogeyman. It's not going to just sneak up on you if you do everything right.

A good metric for how much and when to take in terms of Methadone or any Opioid is going to be how you feel in terms of withdrawal. If you are indeed withdrawing physically from your previous Methadone dosage, it's likely that another (same) dosage can be tolerated no problem. Especially if it's as you say and you're not taking anything else in conjunction with the Methadone.

From here, I would recommend getting a good "baseline" with your Methadone. It works differently than Oxycodone in terms of its onset time and duration of action. Find out exactly how much is required for you to maintain yourself and for how long, then, mover forward with a taper.

A very important piece of information regarding the onset of action with Methadone, is that 3 hours is commonly cited as a "safe to redose" point, but in my experience, depending on stomach content and other variables, it can be as long as 5 hours before I experience the peak of effects.
Thanks for the great reply! I took my Redose about 19 hours after my original dose & don't plan on taking anymore until I feel like absolute crap.
I am not taking anything else with it, I even stopped taking my Lexapro for the time being, just to be on the safe side. Hopefully this lasts me until atleast tomorrow night, it has helped tremendously so far & I am glad I took this approach. I took the same dose as my last (15ml) & actually feel it more then I did last night, which I believe is because it was still in my system.

Question: Is it safe to take a small dose of oxy about 8 hours after taking the methadone? I cant bring myself to get rid of them tbh & want that euphoric feeling one last time before calling it quits (that way they're also gone good) I have read up on the horrible effects when mixing Methadone + Benzos, but am reading mixed reviews on Methadone + Oxy as apparently they are occasionally prescribed together. I am just wondering if mixing the two is digging myself a grave.

If you're already dependant I doubt feeling that feeling one last time is the best thing for you. As long as you don't feel too high from the methadone you should be fine to take the oxy. You will know your body better than anyone. Anyways best of luck man.