• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Safe Oxycodone potentiation?

pally pete

Bluelighter
Hello All,

Iv'e read up quite a bit about Oxycodone Potentiation and as with most things there is much conflicting evidence/literature.

What i would like to know is this... Is it safe to use

Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (Covonia night time formula) Ranitidine (Zantac), Naproxen, Lansoprazole, Immodium, White Grapefruit Juice Concentrate, Tonic Water (Quinine), Tums and Promethazine to Potentiate my Oxycodone?

I obviously would like to get the most out of my Oxycodone due to tolerance issues without putting my health at serious risk, i do understand Oxycodone on it's own can cause a serious health risk, i just wanted to know which of the above are worthwhile and safe Potentiators and at what doses?

Many thanks for any help.

(I have a high tolerance to Oxycodone, 160-320mg)

Last edited:
Switch ranitidine with cimetidine...no tums or immodium, white grapefruit juice is exact same benefit as cimetidine (minus drinking so much fluid), tonic water, naproxen and lansoprazole.

Promethazine is useful in potentiation

My routine is: Cimetidine (-1hr) DXM (-45 min) Diphenhydrramine & Lyrica (-30min)

Oxycodone + Muscle relaxer + Hydroxyzine (Atarax, IMO the best anti-histamine and it is RX'd only)

Hope that helps

Switch ranitidine with cimetidine...no tums or immodium, white grapefruit juice is exact same benefit as cimetidine (minus drinking so much fluid), tonic water, naproxen and lansoprazole.

Promethazine is useful in potentiation

My routine is: Cimetidine (-1hr) DXM (-45 min) Diphenhydrramine & Lyrica (-30min)

Oxycodone + Muscle relaxer + Hydroxyzine (Atarax, IMO the best anti-histamine and it is RX'd only)

Hope that helps
Thanks.

Im in the U.K and Cimetidine is not available OTC :(

Are you saying Tonic water, Naproxen and lansoprazole are good potentiators or not? If so what doseages?

I have Promethazine in 20mg tabs or i have Diphenhydramine in 25mg tabs. Also my DXM contains Diphenhydramine - For every 5ml of DXM i am ingesting 6.65mg Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + 10mg Diphenhydramine, so i usually dose 4 x 5ml spoonfulls = 26.60mg Dextromerthorphan + 40mg Diphenhydramine

Fuck Cimetidine anyway. I used to use it, a lot. Recently learned tha it increases estrogen levels. Wish I hadn't taken it every day for so long now....but anyway:

Tagamet/Cimetidine/GRAPE FRUIT JUICE: 45 mins before

DXM+Benadryl: 15-20min before, 50-75mg benadryl, 15-30mg dxm (depending on which kind, HBr, etc etc)

DXM and DPH are no enzyme inhibitors so what is the mechanism behind this potentiation?

Here you go...

[These are fine]

• Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride
  • White Grapefruit Juice Concentrate
  • Tonic Water (Quinine)

[Pick Just One]

• Ranitidine
  • Lansoprazole
  • Tums
(unlike cimetidine, none of these antacids appreciably inhibit the enzymes that would potentiate oxycodone. Antacids alone can be beneficial however but there is no need to take 3 different types.)

[These Won't Potentiate]

• Naproxen
  • Immodium
(immodium would exacerbate constipation and should especially be avoided)

[Probably Not]

• Promethazine
(if you are taking diphenhydramine, skip this. I fit's a low DPH dose, you could take a low dose of this. Too much of either/both will produce unpleasant anticholinergic side effects)

IIRC Tums potentiates opiates for a different reason/method than those other two, so in theory it could be taken along side.

Here you go...

[These are fine]

• Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide + Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride
  • White Grapefruit Juice Concentrate
  • Tonic Water (Quinine)

[Pick Just One]

• Ranitidine
  • Lansoprazole
  • Tums
(unlike cimetidine, none of these antacids appreciably inhibit the enzymes that would potentiate oxycodone. Antacids alone can be beneficial however but there is no need to take 3 different types.)

[These Won't Potentiate]

• Naproxen
  • Immodium
(immodium would exacerbate constipation and should especially be avoided)

[Probably Not]

• Promethazine
(if you are taking diphenhydramine, skip this. I fit's a low DPH dose, you could take a low dose of this. Too much of either/both will produce unpleasant anticholinergic side effects)
Thanks a lot.

A couple of days ago i done a dose of Oxy (240mg) (If your not tolerant to Opiates i suggest doing even less than 1/10th of that dose)

I decided to just drink about 1+ litre of white grapefruit juice over the course of around 1 - 1 1/2 hours or so before dosing, then around 30 minutes prior to dosing i took 1 x 25mg Diphenhydramine tab and drank a glass or so of Tonic water.

I must of ingested the crushed up (OC) Oxy around 1pm and could honestly still feel it's effects upto 12 hours later, to me this seemed almost impossible as in the past ive tried the same potentiation technique and a whole host of others yet never had such long lasting effects!

It's not as if my tolerance was low either as i had only previously used 4 days earlier and in the past ive usually taken breaks ranging anywhere between 1 week - 2 months but never have i had an Oxy high last so long or as intense for so long before.

I think i may try the same today...... :D

Stay safe Bluelighters (and Greenlighters) ;)

i tried a few tricks I saw here, what works best for me is 2 cans of tonic water 1 hour prior and then 2 tums. It only worked for me for about a week, but it really did work

Best potentiator of all!!

Honestly, it blows me away that more people haven't suggested this because it's probably the best potentiator for opiates. COFFEE! Caffeine kicks oxycodone and other opiates into high gear like you wouldn't believe. It's for several reasons. First of all, the caffeine in coffee assists with that initial energy and mood elevation that you first experience with oxy. Secondly, because caffeine speeds up your system it forces thing through quicker, meaning that it will increase the rate at which your body experiences that initial climactic 'hit'. And on top of that you have the multiplier effect, so the oxycodone is making the caffeine stronger which in turn makes the caffeine work even harder in your system giving you a crazy boost.

But you can't just use any old caffeine though. For example, an ice cold coke wont do the same thing at all. I've heard of people taking caffeine pills with their oxy but for me, it seems safer and easier to predict the outcome if I'm just sipping coffee. The best kind of coffee too isn't the kind you make in your keurig, it's the kind you get at Starbucks. A homemade cup has around 50 mg caffeine. A medium or large coffee from Starbucks, depending on the drink, can have anywhere from 200-500 mg. That's next level shit when you're adding it to opiates. In fact, I would suggest reducing your usual dose by 25% until you know how it affects you. For example if I were to take my normal dose without coffee, I wouldn't feel it at all. And I'm 10 years experienced so this is no joke or beginners luck.

The other things that I've found (and been told by my friend who's a pharmacist intern) are the antacids, grapefruit juice, and a good meal. Its not always easy and you may not have the prep time or schedule, but if you get it just right, it completely changes the game. The way you should plan it is, 3 antacids 8 hours before the dose (too close to a dosing will cause the pill to not be absorbed in the parts of the intestines that carry the important stuff around), then 3-4 hours before the dose have a meal consisting of protein, carbs and fat which will help stabilize you- I suggest pineapple, for its tryptophan, oatmeal, for its blood sugar stabilizing properties, two eggs for protein, and yogurt for the healthy fats - then have a large glasses of grapefruit juice both at two hours before dose and one hour before, and lastly have a big ass coffee with your dose.

If you do this like I said you'll forget about doing it any other way. Some people like mixing with Benadryl but that just makes me wanna doze off, and some people like using sudafed with the ephedrine in it because that's a crazy strong stimulant too like coffee, but at $20 a box for sudafed, I think coffee is the way to go. Also the hot liquid in your stomach really adds to the euphoria. And the Tylenol and Advil steal the euphoria a little cause they work on your hypothalamus so I would avoid those too if I were you.

I am new here, I've been reading some of the posts, but I don't fully understand. I need help. My dr. has cut my dosage strengths and I need help to possibly potentiate. I just don't understand it all. like DXM? Maybe If i give a list of what I take that can be of help. I take Morphine ER 15mg 2 times per day. Oxycodone 10mg 4 times per day. I was on 15mg 3 times per day, but she said new guidelines are requiring her to lower that dosage I don't know all about that either. I also take Xanax 1mg 4 times per day, but I don't take it that often. I have Ambien 10mg I don't take it often either. I have Cyclobenzaprine 10mg 2 times per day, but I have a stock pile of it too. I don't know what to do, I know my pain is flaring now and I do miss that good feeling. I have Ranitidine too and Benadryl. I saw those mentioned. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

You're going to read a lot of conflicting reports around the internet and I normally don't do this, but, it would be in your best interest to just take my word for it on this topic. I've never encountered an Opioid potentiator that I actually considered extremely worthwhile. I typically take an antacid before dosing oral Opioids, but that's only because I'm told that it's beneficial to do so. I would be lying to you if I told you I had ever experienced a potentiator that actually produced an effect that I could definitively identify. It's just not worth throwing the money out the window, in my opinion.

Now, taking stuff like DXM and sedating antihistamines can definitely add to the effect of a given Opioid, but it's not true potentiation really. You're just experiencing both at the same time as opposed to a true synergy. Using Benzodiazepines with Opioid will produce a synergistic effect, but whether that will be in terms of analgesia or just overall sedation, I'm not totally sure.

You're going to read a lot of conflicting reports around the internet and I normally don't do this, but, it would be in your best interest to just take my word for it on this topic. I've never encountered an Opioid potentiator that I actually considered extremely worthwhile. I typically take an antacid before dosing oral Opioids, but that's only because I'm told that it's beneficial to do so. I would be lying to you if I told you I had ever experienced a potentiator that actually produced an effect that I could definitively identify. It's just not worth throwing the money out the window, in my opinion.

Now, taking stuff like DXM and sedating antihistamines can definitely add to the effect of a given Opioid, but it's not true potentiation really. You're just experiencing both at the same time as opposed to a true synergy. Using Benzodiazepines with Opioid will produce a synergistic effect, but whether that will be in terms of analgesia or just overall sedation, I'm not totally sure.

I agree with 'Keif'...I take my regular oxy's with black or a starbucks, coffee monster , as I want to be alert, yet relaxed. I do not notice any potentiation, the opposite, as it causes stimulation which can lower the relaxing euphoria and anxiolytic benefits.
Keif to answer your question IMO the benzo is not synergistic with producing any type of analgesia, only a slight increase in anxiolysis and a very noticeable synergistic respiratory suppression. this is why I have to take my XaNax at least 8 hours after my final oxycodone dose. I have been wearing a SpO2 pulse oximeter with alarm and recording option every night for the last 6 years. Sadly my habbit has gone to 320 mgs/day of Oxy and I've been on 3mgs of Xanax for over 10 yrs now. I have to be careful that my SpO2 stays above 92, 94 is better. Otherwise I and everyone else runs the risk of Mild-moderate- severe hypoxia(death), which inevitably even after a few months unchecked will lead to permanent death of cells. I do what I can and take ampakines as an attempt to keep sat's up via firing gluatmate to the brain stem, medulla and pons.

'MathewJd' may be onto something, as his tolerance for caffeine may be a lot higher than mine. although I dooubt that starbucks produces a 500 mg drink lol. Suffice to say, 150-200 is the norm. I can't handle more than 200 mgs of caffeine/day bc of my high Anxiety. the only way i get away with that is from the Oxy's. However I can attest, that when I first started taking adderall @ 20mgs I felt pruitis once again that I haven't felt in 3 years and YES you got it, a slight potentiation with euphoria but mostly with increased analgesia. I've duplicated the effect several more times in the last year, with having to take 40 mgs addy XR or dexedrine 10mgs tID. Of course I dont push it, as I need another addiction like a hole in my head lol. I can handle amps and such , as they are much more tolerable and smooth than coffee , energy drinks etc..
It's my understanding that the Striatum down regulates dopamine receptors very quickly and one loses euphoria absurdly fast. However certain agents that increase dopamine and Nor-epi are capable of resurrecting the Honeymoon period to a small degree.
I've not felt this whatsoever with d2-d3 agonists, prami, ropinirole or dostinex but definitely with most stims. So I'm guessing there is a Noradrenergic component involved as well

I think most people are suggesting DPH because its OTC, but imo Promethazine is far superior, atarax works well also, but personally I like promethazine better.. There are a few other first-gen antihistamines that work even better, but you'd be hard pressed to find them.

And like Keif said, I don't think you will notice a difference from enzyme inhibitors, they can definitely work for certain other drugs(benzos, or opiates with a high first pass metabolism rate) but not with oxycodone.

In fact I have a theory that CYP2D6 inhibitors could dampen the exerpeince, although it may lengthen it, because this enzyme is responsible for metabolising oxycodone into oxymorphone(this is also the reason why I think many people, myself included, find oxy to be more satisfying orally if you can be a little patient, even after adjusting for bioavailability, although snorting it will make it come on faster which is why I believe it is such a popular ROA)

Last edited:
Keep in mind that whatever potentiator concoction you come up with, you will just grow tolerant to that again over time. You become a bit like a dog chasing its own tail

This might be considered next level potentiation and requires more prep and can carry disastrous effects if the measuring is screwed up but OR antagonists and inverse agonists like naloxone / naltrexone in ultra low doses can shift the bimodal effects of G protein coupling and give your ops a very nice kick. This holds true more so for chronic users vs noobs and chippers but pub-med has some great papers on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8947924

Selective blockade of excitatory opioid receptor functions by low (ca. pM) concentrations of naloxone, naltrexone, etorphine and other specific agents markedly increases the inhibitory potency of morphine or other bimodally acting agonists and attenuates development of tolerance/dependence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7479836

The present study provides a cellular mechanism to account for previous reports that low doses of NLX and NTX paradoxically enhance, instead of attenuate, the analgesic effects of morphine and other opioid agonists