Safe-Deposit Boxes

Titus

Bluelighter
Does anyone here have one or use one? They are obviouly valuable for legal documentation an things like expensive jewelry not worn often.

MY question is: does anyone know if LE patrals thse rooms with drug dogs (or consider it a waste of time given the ammt of $100 bills with coke detectable on them)?

Another factor may be that since the boxes are so close, even if a drug dog 'hits', what box did he hit on? Can they get warrants on my box and you box and the 5 other boxes all around each others simply because a drug dox hit? Seems like it might get thrown out but I'm not in a position to have a lawyer on retainer to ask these kinds of questions to. And if so could it get thrown out since it's like issuing warrants for all the apt's on the 4th fl or an apt bld even though all are different tenants and none of them even know each other.?

Please stick to the topic, within reason, folks, I don't want to field qu's like why would you want to keep drugs in a safe-deposit box?

Can law enforcement authorities access my safe deposit box without my knowledge or permission?
If a local, state or federal law enforcement agency persuades the appropriate court that there is "reasonable cause" to suspect you're hiding something illegal in your safe deposit box (guns, drugs, explosives, stolen cash or money obtained illegally), it can obtain a court order, force the box open and seize the contents. What about non-criminal matters, such as a dispute with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), a company, or other people over money they say you owe? The IRS can "freeze" your assets (effectively placing a hold on your bank accounts and safe deposit box) until the dispute is resolved. Private parties also can freeze your assets but doing so involves going before a judge and proving that there is a legitimate dispute over a debt.

I found this but I dont know about drug dogs. I have never heard or seen them at the bank

I don't believe cops patrol the safe-deposit rooms, or use dogs to sniff out drugs, since the rooms are located on private premises (i.e. the bank) and the cops would need a specific reason and a warrant from the court. However, if they have good reason to believe that you are keeping something illegal in your safe deposit box, they CAN get a court order and force the bank to open your box. If a drug dog was used (I doubt it ever would), I'm pretty sure they CAN'T get a warrant to search one box and the other 5 boxes around it.

If they have probable cause they can search your box. I have never heard of drug dogs in a safety deposit box area, but if the police have reason to acquire a warrant, then it will hold as any other warrant would.