Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

S/(+) Ketamine

Marzbraz

Greenlighter
Greetings high vibrational wave riders!
So I finally got around experiencing a good month on S+ Ket and wow, don't think I wanna go back to the standard R/(-) stuff hey! Honestly though the benefits to me, mind, body and spirit are significantly wider.

Now since being the only one with such medicine at the time, I was, and kinda still am constantly asked about how does one come to transform Racemic ket into Isomers one.

I would be very great full for some experienced light in this topic if one would be interested in discussing it a bit.

This is a personal interest of mine for intentional/medicinal and regular micro dosing
sessions as well as to help some many good friends in the tribe I co create and co exist with and whom I'd really like to see also take the transition to the better stuff, the Ket that does not affect ones kidney or bladder for the exclusion of HCL takes place in the process however it is made.

Thanks guys, I'm only new to this website so hopefully I'm within line here with posting this.

Much love and respect, every time,

MaRzBraz

One does not transform it. Racemic ket consists of 50% of the R-(-) isomer and 50% of the S-(+) isomer.

To yield a pure isomer it must be separated from the other. [In principle it is possible to use a synthesis strategy that only makes a pure isomer in the first place, but that is considerably more difficult and moreover: what is made almost always in the case of K, is the racemate (racemic ket).]

To separate, it is possible to convert the typical HCl salt form of K to the freebase, and then converting it back again by adding an acid to the freebase. Only this time one adds a form of an acid that is a pure isomer itself. Commonly used is an isomer of tartaric acid that is often applied in winemaking / brewing.

The point is that this tartaric acid isomer more comfortably crystallizes together with only one of the K isomers, so you will first get that isomer upon recrystallization and then the other. How well they separate depends on how big this difference is in ability to form crystal, and the skill of the chemist.

But it's technically possible to apply this to many drugs, just the ones that have isomers though. Some drugs do not have stereoisomerism and just exist in one form. Other drugs may have 4 isomers - and more is not impossible.. (The number of isomers is 2 to the power of the number of chiral centers).

Many drugs only have one active isomer anyway though, and often the "inactive" isomer does contribute but only in side effects. Eszopiclone is the active S isomer of zopiclone, both used in medicine, that by getting rid of the inactive one is not only more potent but may also lack certain side effects.
K - and quite possibly other dissociatives - is special in that both isomers have considerable psychoactivity. What we normally experience from our normal racemic K is a combination of the psychoactive effects of both R and S isomers of course.

I've tried both ketamine isomers separately as well as the racemate, but found confusing reports about which is which. Sometimes I see descriptions of one isomer that I experienced from what I thought was the other one. So mixup somewhere.

Last edited:
wow, thanks for taking the time for replying so concisely and clear. :) quite enlightening indeed.

Forgive my ignorance in this K business, only been on it for a year or so but am incredibly blown away by how much and how many life obstacles together with what I been liking to call "cosmic riddles", that I have gracefully and stresslessly solved since partaking the S Ket alone.

Perhaps just agreed more with my existential circumstances and/or organism? hm...
Either way, looks like I may have to do quite a bit more research in order to get around the process in which you describe so to do it properly hey? First step I guess tho, would be to find a reliable source for this medicine...would you happen to know of any suppliers that are currently registered and are trustworthy to do online transactions?

Cheers brother

Ps: forgot to ask if I may, how does one convert HCL to freebase?
Is it legal to buy this tartaric acid or do I need a chemist license of some sort?
And just not sure I quite get what you meant towards the end there...so you were able to get K fully separated from S isomer as well as one fully separated form the R one is that right?
Cheers

You're welcome, but no sorry sourcing for 'transactions' is strictly forbidden on this forum! That is regardless of legal status, we don't allow anything that has to do with acquiring a drug.

Synthesis talk is not allowed either, however what has been talked about so far is okay since separating a racemic drug into isomers is merely processing of a drug one already has. Just like converting HCl to freebase is very commonly talked about: it is basically analogous to how coke is converted to crack which is freebase coke.

The L-(+)-tartaric acid should be available as it is an ingredient used for brewing, fine for consumers. But don't forget how I mentioned the skill of the chemist. This method may seem simple and easy to do for someone inexperienced, but it can turn into quite a headache if you don't have a knack for finding the right solvent, dissolving your K into only a critical volume and then very very slowly dropping the temperature.

I have not made my K isomers personally, I didn't have to they were just available to me indeed pure separated (years ago I had a coinnaisseur dealer, but I'm pretty sure the isomers were produced in India / Pakistan before they cleaned up corruption and shady industry there that made a ton of money on illegally diverting K - nowadays there is a K drought that has not been resolved afaik). Another member here has separated MXE isomers assumably via the above mentioned method, I believe, but subsequently forgot which was which...

Converting the HCl to freebase is the same as what is done in acid-base extraction: The HCl salt is put in water, added are a base and a non-polar solvent that dissolves freebase K. This 2-layer system is gently swirled making the K turn into freebase and dissolving it in the non-polar layer. This layer is then separated from the watery layer - they float on top of each other. If you want the freebase the solvent is then left to evaporate, more practical so that you can put the freebase K in - I think - ethanol for the final tartaric acid salt recrystallization.

Maybe you can google around and find this method used on amphetamine, then use the recipe but with adjusted solvents etc.

I can't really go and figure out the exact details for you like a tek, that's not what I intended to do here.

Be careful not to waste K on this, let alone money on materials and equipment if you can't ensure this goes well... and don't use product that is not cleaned from other chems used in such a process.

Last edited:
Amazing, thank you very much mate. I let u know how I go hey, been intuitively blending things for a while now and with the right ingredients, a little tech help like yours and time/space I shall get it done right :)
Much love :)