• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Running Nerds Unite

congrats on the new 5k pb, chinup. stairs on a running route is very badass. as is getting to go canyon hiking in namibia.

ran 8 miles today. furthest i’ve run in at least a decade. i run 6.2 or 6.5 often but never go past. today i did. had this image it was burning away all the garbage inside of me — cleansing.

I've had a shitty month. I've only been on 1 run because I was sick for almost 3 weeks, and it was a crappy run probably because I was still a bit ill and inflamed.

I don't feel right if I don't run :(

I need to start making some running goals. I want to run a marathon eventually.

Whew, went for a jog today and after only 1.5mi I started feeling unusually fatigued, very dizzy and had a painful tightness in my chest. I nearly collapsed but was able to sit down. My vision was spinning but I was able to recuperate and walk the way home. I just ended a pretty long alcohol binge, and it's such a hot day I think I was just pushing myself too hard, even though I usually run fine under these types of conditions. I had an EKG when I was in the hospital 4 months ago, so I think my heart is fine. I suspect it was heat exhaustion and/or dehydration.

Plus, during all of this, some random dog charged me and nearly attacked me :rolleyes:

I had a friend a few years back who was a physical trainer and spontaneously collapsed and died in the middle of a 5k, and he was in way better shape than I am. He was my age, early 30s. Tragic.

Stay safe out there in the peak of summer.

Last edited:
argh so i had what felt like a great run, but my watch app is telling me it was extreme and that i could have injured myself. but, it was an easy distance for me and i wasn't pushing my pace. in fact from 8 km onwards it kept warning me my heart rate was going into the dangerous zone, so i slowed down a lot. i wasn't breathing too hard or anything.

chart is here:

usually my watch massively under estimates my heart rate (i know this cos it quite often starts out ok then drops off a cliff, despite my pace being the same, i think sweat effects it lol). so it would be weird if it suddenly started over estimating it.

basically do i listen to my body or do i listen to the app? i don't want to damage myself but i can't see how doing a distance that i'm confortable with, at a slower pace than usual, can be bad for me.

for reference, last time i did this distance my app said it was in the 'improvement' category for aerobic training, with no anaerobic impact. this time it was 'extreme' for aerobic and 'improvement' for anaerobic. only really difference between the two runs is it was a couple of degrees warmer today.

god this app is tyrannical. i love it cos it helps motivate me but i don't like being told that i'm injuring myself. and sometimes it tells me to go to bed earlier when i fucking did but just couldn't get to sleep!!

argh so i had what felt like a great run, but my watch app is telling me it was extreme and that i could have injured myself. but, it was an easy distance for me and i wasn't pushing my pace. in fact from 8 km onwards it kept warning me my heart rate was going into the dangerous zone, so i slowed down a lot. i wasn't breathing too hard or anything.

chart is here:

usually my watch massively under estimates my heart rate (i know this cos it quite often starts out ok then drops off a cliff, despite my pace being the same, i think sweat effects it lol). so it would be weird if it suddenly started over estimating it.

basically do i listen to my body or do i listen to the app? i don't want to damage myself but i can't see how doing a distance that i'm confortable with, at a slower pace than usual, can be bad for me.

for reference, last time i did this distance my app said it was in the 'improvement' category for aerobic training, with no anaerobic impact. this time it was 'extreme' for aerobic and 'improvement' for anaerobic. only really difference between the two runs is it was a couple of degrees warmer today.

god this app is tyrannical. i love it cos it helps motivate me but i don't like being told that i'm injuring myself. and sometimes it tells me to go to bed earlier when i fucking did but just couldn't get to sleep!!
Watch heart rate monitors are notoriously unreliable. The chest strap ones are accurate. You can tell your heart rate isn’t super high if you’re breathing is not super heavy. Watch was probably glitching. There’s no way you could stay in an “extreme” heart rate zone for 64 minutes.

Last edited:
First Half Marathon race today. 1:28:19 6:43/mile average pace. Very happy with that time and I think it bodes well for me being able to hit my goal in Chicago of a sub 3 hour Boston Marathon qualifying time. Plan on getting up to at least 60 miles a week before then. 3 months out now. Now the real training begins.

Whew, went for a jog today and after only 1.5mi I started feeling unusually fatigued, very dizzy and had a painful tightness in my chest. I nearly collapsed but was able to sit down. My vision was spinning but I was able to recuperate and walk the way home. I just ended a pretty long alcohol binge, and it's such a hot day I think I was just pushing myself too hard, even though I usually run fine under these types of conditions. I had an EKG when I was in the hospital 4 months ago, so I think my heart is fine. I suspect it was heat exhaustion and/or dehydration.

Plus, during all of this, some random dog charged me and nearly attacked me :rolleyes:

I had a friend a few years back who was a physical trainer and spontaneously collapsed and died in the middle of a 5k, and he was in way better shape than I am. He was my age, early 30s. Tragic.

Stay safe out there in the peak of summer.
Be very careful in the heat. Especially coming off an alcohol binge. I don’t even run outside anymore if it’s over like 82 Farenheit. Lower than that if it’s an intense workout. I just go inside on the treadmill. I used to run outside when it was 95 degrees and high humidity. I don’t see the point anymore of dehydrating myself unnecessarily and not being able to work as hard as I need to, even on easy runs. I realize running outsidenisbthe only option for alot of people, but trying to do early morning or late night is great. If you have to run in the heat, make sure to hydrate well before and after and don’t push the pace or distance too much, listen to your body. Glad you are alright.

Your anecdote about your friend reminds me of James Fixx, a famous runner from the 70’s. He was overweight with a looming heart problem he found out about. He was smoking alot, drinking and not eating well and had a sedentary lifestyle. His father had dropped from a heart attack. Doctor told him he was on his way to the same fate. So he quit the smokes, started eating healthy and running like crazy. Wrote a book on running and the health benefits back in a timenwhen doctors would actually say running was bad for you. He is credited with helping start America's fitness revolution by popularizing the sport of running and demonstrating the health benefits of regular jogging. I believe he ran the inaugural NYC marathon and more times after that.
Problem he was he didn’t continue getting medical checkups.

Fixx died on July 20, 1984 at age 52 of a heart attack, during his daily run on Vermont Route 15 in Hardwick. The autopsy, conducted by Vermont's chief medical examiner, Dr. Eleanor McQuillen, revealed that atherosclerosis had blocked one coronary artery 95%, a second 85%, and a third 70%.

Granted access to his medical records and autopsy, and after interviewing his friends and family, Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed—his father died of a heart attack at 43 after a previous one at 35,and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart—and had an unhealthy life: Fixx was a heavy smoker before beginning running at age 36, had a stressful occupation, had undergone a second divorce, and gained weight up to 214 pounds (97 kg). Medical opinion continues to uphold the link between moderate exercise and longevity.

So while running is great it is not a panacea. Regular check ups especially specific to your family history of certain diseases is uber important.

My older brother did another ultra marathon over the weekend. 100 miles in 36 hours. Fucking phenomenonal. I am so incredibly proud of and inspired by him. He's my hero <3
Wow, congrats to your brother!! That is quite a feat he accomplished!

^thinking about tomorrow’s run is an effective strategy for not stopping by the corner store.

i struggled in the heat today too. cut my run down to a 5k and ran it one minute a mile slower than usual.

congrats to your brother, @n3ophy7e. being proud of a sibling is a good feeling.
So true, it’s been a very helpful thing in my over three years of alcohol abstinence to think about how drinking would fuck up my training.

I've had a shitty month. I've only been on 1 run because I was sick for almost 3 weeks, and it was a crappy run probably because I was still a bit ill and inflamed.

I don't feel right if I don't run :(

I need to start making some running goals. I want to run a marathon eventually.
Yes!! You can do it, go for it! Get a good training plan and get on it. I just completed my first Half with my first Marathon coming October 9th. So rewarding to push yourself and see what you can do.

Watch heart rate monitors are notoriously unreliable. The chest strap ones are accurate. You can tell your heart rate isn’t super high if you’re breathing is not super heavy. Watch was probably glitching. There’s no way you could stay in an “extreme” heart rate zone for 64 minutes.
thanks. i assumed that if it really were that high, i'd be able to tell via gasping for breath. will listen to my body next time instead though its annoying cos if it thinks my heart rate is beyond the safe level, it vibrates and complains anout it til i get my heartrate down.

good luck to all you kickass runners with goals in the next few days!!

Recently my sister, who owns a modern iWatch, went to the hospital because it measured her blood oxygen at a dangerously low level, yet, at the hospital it was fine and it was a malfunction.

I really don't know how accurate those watches are.

I remember when I first started running I owned one of them (Fenix brand?) and it kept telling me my runs were extreme, my HR on the watch was 185+ (I was a late 20s male ate the time, and this was reasonably acceptable)

I'm one of those people that if I check my HR and it's a bit high I have an anxiety related attack over it.... stupid

I just run, forget about my heart rate, if I focus on it it makes it go even higher

shit

im like an anxiety demon

I think the point of running is just to go, fuck biometrics, if we gonna die we gonna die right?

The watch heart rate monitors are widely known to be unreliable. Anyone who bases their training on heart rate zones and wants highly accurate data should invest in one of the chest strap heart rate monitor.

I just run, forget about my heart rate, if I focus on it it makes it go even higher
yeah, that's what i ususally do, cos i know they are unreliable in general, and that mine is particularly so. but i couldn't yesterday cos it kept beeping and vibrating telling me to slow it down..... i think i might just up the acceptable heart rate in the app to avoid that happening again. i didn't work as hard as i coulda cos of that damn thing.

*narrator's voice* She did in fact not go for a run today.

I also did not go for a run today. But I don't go for a run every day, because I hate running.

I'm willing to run if it's in the pursuit of a sport I greatly enjoy like soccer or lacrosse, because then running isn't the primary activity, it's used to be able to take part in the actual activity of choice, which is the sport.

I used to be very fit, back when I was playing central defensive midfield in the men's soccer team I played in during 2018, but since then it's gone to complete shit.

I also did not go for a run today. But I don't go for a run every day, because I hate running.

I'm willing to run if it's in the pursuit of a sport I greatly enjoy like soccer or lacrosse, because then running isn't the primary activity, it's used to be able to take part in the actual activity of choice, which is the sport.

I used to be very fit, back when I was playing central defensive midfield in the men's soccer team I played in during 2018, but since then it's gone to complete shit.
Oh awesome!! Yeah I used to be super fit too *sigh* Oh well, at least I know my body is capable of being super fit. It gives me hope that I can get back to that state, or some resemblance of it.