• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Ruling clears way for Purdue Pharma to settle opioid claims, protect Sacklers from lawsuits

thujone

Bluelight Crew
A federal court ruling cleared the way Tuesday for OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma’s settlement of thousands of legal claims over the toll of opioids.

Under the plan approved by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, members of the wealthy Sackler family would give up ownership of Stamford, Connecticut-based Purdue, which would become a new company known as Knoa, with its profits being used to fight the opioid crisis. They would also contribute $5.5 billion to $6 billion in cash over time. A chunk of that money — at least $750 million — is to go to individual victims of the opioid crisis and their survivors. Only one other major opioid lawsuit settlement includes payments for victims.

gonna have to keep an eye on this Knoa...

They got off lightly considering that the North American opioid epidemic is basically their fault. That amount of money is not going to pay for all of the government programs needed to boost recovery, or all the damage that has been done to communities over the years (and continues to be).

The Sacklers created an epidemic which has collectively killed exponentially more Americans than every single fucking war the US has ever fought.

They can't get away with it, and just walk away with billions and immunity.

Fucking pisses me off so much how rich people get away with so much abuse of society.

So they might pay 6bil, how much did they make total during?

-GC

So they might pay 6bil, how much did they make total during?

-GC
No, their company Purdue Pharma would pay 6 billion, which would bankrupt it. That's the plan and deal they made. Their personal bank accounts are immune (for now).

They made 11 billion from Purdue, the opioid crisis.

I LOVE the idea (still believed in the UK) that if a pill doesn't last 12 hours... increase dose, not frequency!

I had to fiddle my way into getting 3 smaller doses a day. If you use every 12 hours as prescribed, you go into withdrawal for 2-3 hours twice a day.

The damned things dose-dump and STILL got approved!