• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Routes of Administration and their effect on Active Metabolites in benzos

DiacetylEros

Greenlighter
Now, from what I understand many BZD's, diazepam immediately coming to mind, have active metabolites, that is, metabolites that are still active in the system after the drug has been processed by the liver. I understand that these active metabolites in many cases are responsible for primary and/or peripheral effects of the drugs, so what I'm wondering is what role ROA's play in benzo dosing. I understand that when you consume a drug orally, it undergoes first-pass metabolism via the liver, and through deductive reasoning if there is a first-pass there must be a second-pass (or more), correct?

I ask because I know diazepam comes in injectable amps, and so I guess another question is would the injection be weaker than oral diazepam (when both are compared at peak), take longer to feel full effect of diazepam and its metabolites, would the active metabolites even become 'active'?

I wonder the same thing for sub-lingual administration and rectal as well, because I often sub-lingual clonazepam (unsure about active metabolites), and have considered plugging etizolam in PPG when going through panic attacks to see if it kick in even faster than subL. I don't like to waste drugs (or active metabolites lol), so any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, be safe compatriots, and 1luv!!

The most commonly used benzos aren't really prodrugs - most of the time, the original form is more potent.
The thing about active benzo metabolites is mostly that some of them are very long-lasting: The primary active metabolite of Diazepam, for example, is Nordazepam, which is weaker than its parent drug but also insanely long-lasting (we're talking a half-life of several days here).

Totally. Ok thank you for the reply, I was under the assumption that most benzos had pro-drug esque qualities (active metabolites). The reason I wonder is because I SL my diclazepam (boy does that shit burn in 190pro EToH). I guess to simplify the question, when you take a drug any way but orally, is it *eventually* going to hit the liver, or does it just bypass it altogether and get filtered through the kidneys as the compounds mwtabolize?