• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

rolling while LOW CARBING

Forgot to reply to this bit earlier, sorry:
Well, the weightloss *is* due to the composition of the diet. Any weightloss on any diet that one looses weight on is due to the composision of that diet, silly. :)
Sorry, I'll try to explain better.
Claim: follow this diet, you'll lose weight, because it's low-carb and high-protein.
Counter-claim: that diet is providing you with less calories than you need, so obviously you lose weight. But you'd also lose weight if you were eating the same number of calories, even if you were getting them from a high-carb diet.
Does that explain it a bit better? Go read the original article if you can, its a lot more articulate than my attempt at a summary ;)

Okay, I figured it may have meant this. But I needed the clearification to properly respond.
The weightloss on atkins is indirectly because of the food choices on a lot of the low carb diets that don't have stiff guidelines around them. This is because studies show that a high fat/protein diet seems to make people automatically tapper off calorie-wise.
They will eat subcalorically without taking calories into mind. The rest of my comments about that claim still stand. They began making comments that weren't really low carb specific arguements.
As where the flipside of this is, a standard high-carbohydrate ratio diet will take more concious effort to maintain a defecit of energy expent vs. consumed.

Originally posted by Simon:
Forgot to reply to this bit earlier, sorry:
Sorry, I'll try to explain better.
Claim: follow this diet, you'll lose weight, because it's low-carb and high-protein.
Counter-claim: that diet is providing you with less calories than you need, so obviously you lose weight. But you'd also lose weight if you were eating the same number of calories, even if you were getting them from a high-carb diet.
Does that explain it a bit better? Go read the original article if you can, its a lot more articulate than my attempt at a summary ;)

Last edited:
low carb = low serotonin
run a search on groups.google.com on "low carb" and "serotonin". notice: (1) the connection between low carbs and lowered levels of serotonin is accepted by both advocates and opponents of low carb diets. low carb advocates rarely concede anything negative about low carb diets.
and (2) how the people who post who are on low-carb diets are anal and somewhat snippy--a sign of low serotonin. : )

It's well known that dieting can wreak havok on all kinds of neurotransmitters and hormone levels.
Dieting can very much effect mood. You can and will find people, including myself, that will tell you that after the adaptation to low carbohydrate metabolism takes place, one actually has a more stable mood level while eating subcalorically. This is, in part, due to the lesser extent of insulin and glucose *spikes* and suqsequent drops one gets from eating carbohydrates.
Also, run a search on groups.google.com for "low fat" and "serotonin". Some say low-fat diets can cause a decrease in the number of serotonin receptors.
Many people see the hormonal and psychological effects of dieting as a necessary evil. And many people see lowcarb mind-set and mood levels as a lesser of evils.

Originally posted by xpfc_wintergreen:
low carb = low serotonin
run a search on groups.google.com on "low carb" and "serotonin". notice: (1) the connection between low carbs and lowered levels of serotonin is accepted by both advocates and opponents of low carb diets. low carb advocates rarely concede anything negative about low carb diets.
and (2) how the people who post who are on low-carb diets are anal and somewhat snippy--a sign of low serotonin. : )

Last edited: