• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Roadside Drug Testing (QLD)

Qld roadside drug tests will start on the 1st of July this year. So we can expect a full on Blitz of the usual places like the valley and the gold coast strip.Dont know how we are going to avoid them apart from conning someone else into driving for us

needmore said:
Dont know how we are going to avoid them apart from conning someone else into driving for us

It shouldn't be about avoiding them, rather, it should be about ensuring you are not under the influence of any substance whilst in control of a motor vehicle.

If you're going out and planning on indulging you should plan ahead and organise a designated driver, as you have said, or make alternative arrangements.

Exactly... if you and your mates can afford to buy drugs, surely you can afford to split a cab home?? Or organise to catch a bus or a train. Do a bit of planning before you go out each weekend. Drug-driving is plain fucking stupid.

Thats not the point, cannabis is out of your system in a few hours, effects wise, and its more the speed comedown crashes are more likely. not the peak.. Driving after MDMA is debatable.
A cab after a rave for me would cost well over $120.

needmore said:
Qld roadside drug tests will start on the 1st of July this year. So we can expect a full on Blitz of the usual places like the valley and the gold coast strip.Dont know how we are going to avoid them apart from conning someone else into driving for us

where did u get this info from ???

^ I can't find the press release on this, but it was announced sometime last year.

I and many many other people would find it acceptable to go out dead sober, drive in maybe have an alcoholic drink or two over the course of a few hours, sneak outside the club for a quick jay, get a little buzz, then chill out in the club till the wee hours, watch all the drunkards and motor heads crash and then drive home.

Thanks, now i can go to jail for choosing not to write myself and spend my hard earned dollars on shitty club premixes and expensive cab rides home after a torturing demeaning wait in the cab line !!!!!!!

Seriously this is bad news, please Queensland Government realize like so many times when prohibition is enforced especially when it is selective to a few popular substances, given time people will just switch to something you cant detect.

Admittedly there are people that go out, consume mdma and drive home after the comedown. They probably have done that responsibly for some time. Very few would drive under the full effects of mdma, SO one's level of impairment is debatable. So People start getting busted driving home after MDMA, people lives are destroyed, people start talking on the forums, then a few people in psch community start taking 2cb and driving home, why ? because they wont get caught. Soon word gets around and you suddenly have a plethora a clubbers driving home on 2cb not feeling a bit depressed and emotionally drained, you soon have motorists navigating home in delerium in a prolonged state of altered consiousness.

Yes driving under the influence is bad

Different drugs will impair people differently some less than others.

In my personal experience Alchohol is the most dangerous drug to consume when behind the wheel. Practical enforcement is in place

You silly silly idiots, your road safety campaign is effective

You are just going to change the habbits of the drug taking community. To avoid detection people will just switch to undetectable drugs that have unpredictable effects.

Chances are many of the PEAs and probably all the amphetamines (incl N-methyl homologs) will react with enzyme linked tests used in Roadside testing. The reason is that many of these drugs will also form substrates with the enzymes.

You are very likely right though time traveler; people will seek undetectable alternatives which will introduce so many variables it's not funny. It's already happening in the workplace. Blood testing may even miss some of these, particularly if they are really *exotic*, of high potency and have a short half life.

That being said, I do believe that there should be less impaired drivers on the road. Perhaps the questionable side to all this is not so much the testing itself, but more how levels are ascertained and how these may differ between occasional and more regular users.

phase_dancer said:
That being said, I do believe that there should be less impaired drivers on the road. Perhaps the questionable side to all this is not so much the testing itself, but more how levels are ascertained and how these may differ between occasional and more regular users.

i totally agree with you. but i dont believe enough research has been carried out by the authorities in regards to this issue.

setting a 'legal' limit for drug testing would certainly give off the wrong message to alot of people though.

Roadside drug testing a bad idea: civil liberty expert
Friday, June 1, 2007. 10:10am (AEST)

A senior civil libertarian has warned Queensland motorists they risk returning false positive results for illegal drugs when random roadside testing is introduced in the state.

Liberty Victoria spokesman Brian Walters SC says random roadside drug testing in Victoria has invaded people's right to privacy with no impact on the road toll.

The Queensland Government has announced a further delay to the introduction of testing because of concerns about accuracy.

Mr Walters says Victoria has had random drug testing for two years and the Victorian Government still cannot guarantee conclusive results.

"At this stage it has proven itself to be inaccurate and until it's demonstrated that this can be done effectively, there isn't any point in proceeding with it," he said.

"Driving is not a human right - on the other hand, invasion of people's privacy should only be done when it can clearly be justified as something that will lead to greater road safety, and not as something which is part of a different agenda, that is a zero tolerance of drugs agenda."

ABC Online

Queensland just like to follow the other states for a little bit of publicity,,, they will either use it a few times or can it. Just look at how much times the dogs were used.. just as a show... Then they didn't show up at any big raves this year..

QLD have more important issues to put money into, like uhh.. water?!?! that stuff we use everyday and drink.

"Driving is not a human right - on the other hand, invasion of people's privacy should only be done when it can clearly be justified as something that will lead to greater road safety, and not as something which is part of a different agenda, that is a zero tolerance of drugs agenda."
Its disturbing that there has not been any major public debate over this issue!

The political will to put this debate forward is majorly lacking by both the Liberal and Labor parties! Like Dr Caldicott mentions in the other thread; Policy on Drugs specifically relating to anything considered within the realm of the "war on drugs" is uninspired and totally ineffective! When will the balance swing so that the majority of people in this country realise this?!

Has anyone been roadside drug tested in Brisbane?

Just wondering after reading the threads on the Vic situation and the reports from last year that it was coming in QLD.

I read on here the testing is due to start end of July 2007. But I have heard nothing more about it.

ilikeacid said:
Its disturbing that there has not been any major public debate over this issue!

The political will to put this debate forward is majorly lacking by both the Liberal and Labor parties! Like Dr Caldicott mentions in the other thread; Policy on Drugs specifically relating to anything considered within the realm of the "war on drugs" is uninspired and totally ineffective! When will the balance swing so that the majority of people in this country realise this?!

History shows that the sad thing about this is that any politician who steps up to challenge the "war on drugs" can basically kiss their political career goodbye. Rational debate, I agree is lacking by both Liberal and the Labor parties. The other issue is that much of the expertise within the drug and alcohol field is tied to government funding and many experts are banned from talking to the media. So the individuals like Dr Caldicott and the Alex Wodak's are having to take this issue to the public arena.

And I totally with the civil libertarian that this move on roadside drug testing is basically a zero tolerance agenda through the back door.

Splatt said:
Thats not the point, cannabis is out of your system in a few hours, effects wise, and its more the speed comedown crashes are more likely. not the peak.. Driving after MDMA is debatable.

I believe this is getting to the crux of the issue. We have a separate testing system for alcohol with a margin or tolerance of .05 blood alcohol level. This test is based on the science that you are 7 times more likely to be involved in a crash with a blood alcohol level of .05 BAC compared to being sober.

But with roadside drug testing you have a test for methamphetamines, MDMA and cannabis all in the one "swipe" that merely tests for the presence of these drugs not their impairment potential. If you had a smoke a couple of hours ago and you test positive does this mean you are impaired? If you have used MDMA over the last 12-24 hours and test positive does this mean you are impaired? If you have use meth over the last 12 -24 hours and test positive does this mean you are impaired?

I think we can all speculate on these questions but at the end of the day the roadside swipe does not answer any of these questions it merely ascertains whether you possibly have used these substances recently and the tests are consistently not very good at even doing that!

I think blood levels when blood tested may give the better reading of how impaired you may bebut at the moment i dont think theyve done much research really... theyre just prosecuting the ones that admit.

Has anyone heard any updates on this lately ? I havent seen anything in the papers ......

Qld RoadSide Drug Testing-nov 2007

http://daytatree-drug-testing-services.com/drug-testing-news/

Saliva Testing For Queensland Drivers
September 11th, 2007

Queensland police minister Judy Spence has confirmed that random roadside drug testing using saliva (oral body fluids) is planned to begin in November. The Queensland police aim to test 20,000 drivers within the first year of the scheme being introduced.

Legislation was passed in February 2007 to allow drug testing of drivers after the state government raised its concern over the results of government-sanctioned testing undertaken by a local university that indicated drivers were almost four times more likely to test positive to the recent use of cannabis, speed or ecstasy than alcohol.

Thought this was interesting.

They've actually been using it off the record at some drunk stops for testing.
My dads friend was tested recently, however, they swabbed his steering wheel, and gear stick instead of taking saliva.. Anyone heard of this test before?

He was flagged into the stop and had been drinking alcohol but was only just over, but they had suspicion he had been smoking weed (he doesn't smoke pot, only pouch tobacco) as they saw rolling papers all over the car, he looked sleepy with red eyes and was chewing gum at the time. I'm pretty sure they didn't ask to consent to this test, it was just forced.

It was a random stop at Southbound Gold Coast Highway just after Broadbeach, using the old dead end street to the beach trick just before the stop :) After 10 minutes he tested negative. They were pretty friendly and appologised after and told him to either take a "coffee nap at the servo" or just be careful as he looked tired.

Yeah, they are definitely starting in November and I'd say anyone going to that event at the end of November to watch out for this and dogs. They've got a real eye on that certain promoter ever since someone died at their parties last year's Easter, which happened to be an alcohol related death as the guy didn't even take drugs. Last big party they threw cops were marching right into it with a crime stoppers van outside the gig, and forcing random pocket checks on anyone they pleased. Queensland is getting pretty tough on drugs. Although it seems the dogs only come a few times a year. They like doing their forced or intimidating half-questioned TRG/Plain clothe searches on randoms in the Valley