• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Road to Recovery

Mr Root! Haven't checked in with you for a while but I just went back and read through your thread and I am so happy for you. It is wonderful to be in love, no? It sounds like you two have an amazing advantage built into your developing relationship and that is the DBT you are both doing. Nothing can be better for a relationship than the skills taught in DBT. In fact, wouldn't it be great if every single human being could be taught these skills in school?

Much love to you and your gorgeous soulmate. <3

Thank you Herbi!

Yes DBT is something everyone should get involved with and there should be some kind of DBT course for young adults in every school they go.

It is actually live changing if you are emotionally numb as I am sometimes or if your emotions jump from zero to out of scale in seconds (as my fiancee used to have?).

Much love to you Herbi from me and my soulmate! It may be that Herbi is the actual source of love here in BL ??

I don’t know how I could have managed with these changes in my life before DBT without getting depressed and then doing nothing but being desperate as currently I live in my fiancee’s apartment although I have a house of my own.

This is because although we have four cars atm my fiancee doesn’t have driver’s license and there are just a single bus that goes from the road I have my house nearby and it goes to the community center at 8am and comes back at 4pm so if I wouldn’t be able to drive her to get her ORT drug she would have to hop into that bus and then change bus and sit some 50minutes until it reaches to the nearest city where she lives and gets her ORT drug three times a week (unless UA is positive for something and then it is again 7 times a week for a while) and wait for another bus to go back to the community center and wait for that 4pm bus that drives nearby my house.

It would be a shitty day because of logistical nightmare.

Therefore I live in my fiancee’s apartment (and we are moving into another apartment next monday) but I can’t officially announce that I live in that apartment as it would mean that our social system would judge us as a pair and it means that my income would be her income as well and she wouldn’t be able to get compensations for living costs or social compensations at all.

That means that my ORT treatment can’t be at the same clinic as she goes to but instead in the community center near my house as I still officially live there.

That means I have to drive 50km and back three times a week (and when my UA is positive it is 7 times a week.). And as some of you know all of my cars are gas guzzlers it means it costs quite a lot and also the drug I am currently on also isn’t covered by our national healthcare it costs quite a bit too as well as it is time consuming to drive around and around.

Some asshole also came right in front of me from a junction totalling my BMW 740 and she had stop sign so she is going to pay for (or actually her insurance) but my lovely BMW that I have cared so much and have been waiting to be able to get museum registered won’t be driveable for a while if ever. (Actually I drove my car back from the scene to my house but her SUV was in a totally undriveable condition :) BMWs are made from real steel it seems.)

I also got a permission to teach driving and we have been doing some basic stuff like getting known to car and getting move and changing gears (as well as using automatic gearboxes as three of our cars have automatic transmission although it is very rare here in Finland for some reasons.) as well as driving around parking lots and private roads. It has been quite fun but also a bit explosive sometimes :) She is going to real teacher’s classes soon also as we decided it would be best if someone ”neutral” would be teaching the most important stuff.

She is about to bloom with car enthuasism soon as she has been using sentences such as ”The gear ratio in Sebring seems a lot different than that in Journey in a way that Sebring would win a quarter mile”.

My own house has been AirBnB’d for a while and it gives some extra money every now and then to cover up those costs that come from driving to get my drugs.

You and you SO sound like a true match made in heaven :) it pleases me to know someone worthwhile has found love, especially when BL has been a part of that process!!! <3 You definitely get extra bonus points for marrying a fellow BLer =D

Toohpaste, I really do hope you too find your Soulmate as it really uplifts one’s life.

Relapsed a bit. Took some MDMA alonf amphetamine as well benzos to get to sleep. Couldn’t resist the urge.
Well nothing is lost but serves as a good lesson to learn.

^do you feel like it has/will become a problem, or just more like working through your stuff currently?

Toohpaste, I really do hope you too find your Soulmate as it really uplifts one’s life.

One day, one day :)

A lot of time have passed before last journal update. Pretty much everything has been fine. My SO is in detox from benzos and lyricas and currently on zero dose from both and she feels quite well. Saw her today and we had a wonderful spare time from inpatient treatment.
Next up in the near future is a long term rehab in a small facility which deals with patient who have double diagnosis.

Hi there everyone!

I am currently at detox going through scheduled tapering from oxycodone which I’ve been taking for back pain for last six months after swithing to it from Suboxone. Last dose was 10mg and I get another 5mg in the evening and then it is over and I’ll stay here until the weekend.

Came here last wednesday and my starting dose was 60mg twice a day so it has been quite fast tapering which I hoped for. I have had just some minor WD symptoms so for that everything has been fine.

I have been in the same facility twice before but things have changed a lot as for example last time you were not allowed to have cellphones or similar but now I am using my phone as an access point while typing this with my iPad. Also you are allowed to leave the facility without staff so I can go to nearest minimarket to get my cigarettes and such.

Visited home today and saw my SO but currently things have been quite rough with her as our goals for sober life doesn’t match that well. She came back from the same facility last monday but has been using benzos and Lyrica again and we are supposed to go through longer addiction treatment program after I get out but currently i don’t know what is going to happen.

I am not sure if I want to waste that oppurtunity to get long term treatment and go there alone but at the same time it would mean that I would abandon her for a long time and nothing good ever comes from that kind of situation in which other one is in long term detox and other one is still using.

This year I have only used MDMA once (we both did the day before I came to detox) and nothing else except for my prescribed oxycodone and I know it was a bad decision to use MDMA right before going to detox but we both wanted to get atleast something before trying to live totally sober life.

Going to a gym now so I’ll get back at the evening so cheers for everyone!

So it has been 13 days without opiates and not a single craving for them. I guess that will chance in the future but I am glad that I am not compulsively thinking about how to get opiates all the time.

Our long term rehab will start 9th of march so it is just a bit over month until that. It is a nice place in the middle of nowhere and it revolves around different groups they have during the day and some non mandatory work in the evening or morning.

Oh I got a bill for my stay in the short term opiate detox and it was ~200 euros for 9 days. Heavily compensated by our government which is nice as I have heard people spend thousands of dollars if not tens of thousands for short term rehabs in the states.

So I take it from the tone of your last post that you are both going to the same place? I know here in the states couples are discouraged from attending the same program but the treatment industry here can have backwards, antiquated ideas.

In here the trend has become such that couples are encouraged to try to get into rehab together if both are in a situation that it would ve helpful but not in every place yet but luckily this long term rehab facility we have nearby follows newest trends.

She aint yet 100% sure if she?ll come too but I have said that I will go there no matter what she does as I want to try being totally sober as I seem to have wasted few years in my life for drugs (mainly opiates) and I don?t want to continue that way anymore.

I know I am going to put her between rock and hard place with that demand but I guess I can be that selfish as our lives won?t lead anywhere if there are weekly (luckily not daily anymore) drug use involved.

I think that?s great you have made that decision for yourself. I?m looking for a program myself. Unfortunately though treatment here in the states is still dominated by 12 step recovery. There is a psychiatric hospital that uses more modern methods but I don?t think I could stand being locked up for a month.

It is not that bad being ?locked up? actually. I spend 30days before I get into ORT queue and 30days again when I started ORT in a psych ward setting in a rehab facility which is a part of a university hospital and while it was bit suffocating first it started to subside after I really understood that I need this.

We weren?t allowed cell phones and we had to be under supervision each time we went to outside for example to get cigarettes and such and ward doors were closed.

That changed few months ago and when I stopped my opiate use recently I went to same facility and we were allowed to have cell phones and as well go to outside on our own and I even visited my fiancee three times for few hours although it was pretty much just sauna and then some precious time between the sheets :)

Both ways worked for me but I can guess it might need some time to adjust being ?locked up?. (Atleast it wasn?t the worst place I had been since I have been on a war torn area as a peacekeeper and while in a psych ward you don?t need worry about stuff you would have to worry while in Afghanistan.)

One funny thing happened last time as we had baking group on saturday and along me there were two guys who had done jail time for stabbing and shooting people and an ex-cop baking brownies and having fun while doing it :) I am quite sure I wouldn?t met those guys unless for being there.

Attitudes here are kind of hypocritical still as you can easily say you were hospitalized because surgery but you can?t actually say being in rehab or psych ward without eyebrows starting to raise although most of those people drink hell of a lot alcohol and think it is normal. Even saying you got your drivers license suspended because of drinking is semi-ok but if you say you have a drug problem people tend to shirk you and I am trying to change that by being an example of a person who has had a drug problem but who has managed to get by without ruining everything before stopping.

Also I wan?t to give a lot of credit to all the people involved in my treatment although I don?t agree with every single opinion of theirs. Luckily we don?t have 12 step centric programs here and no one has said that I should accept Jesus in my life in order to get rid of drugs.

I was in a bad quarter few weeks ago after a guy who attends to same meetings for the development of ORT here as he said that no one can quit drugs without god and I tried to argue that I have mostly done this with all the help I have received but he still insisted that the urge to not use doesn?t come from myself and it is a work of god. I said that it would be too easy for me to just turn to faith and let something I don?t believe in handle my recovery process instead of myself and educated professionals and therefore I have decided to stay on my own path.

The psych hospital you were in sounds much more pleasant than the one I was in. There is certainly no sauna; we barely got any time in the gym and no time at the swimming pool. There was no smoking and no freedom of movement. It?s a shame because the psychiatrist and therapy staff there are top notch.

Yeah in it?s current state that rehab facility is ?perfect? one and I wish other places would look it as an example. I know that relapse rates have been improved since they started their current protocol as I attend board meetings as a patient collaboration member.

I have been lately having anxiety issues as I fear I might have Dystonia as I have been getting symptoms such as muscle glitches and my fine motorics are so bad I can?t even paint anymore.

I have been studying the issue a lot lately and I have found that opiates and Lyrica/Neurontin and benzos might mask the symptoms and I have been on those for many years taking atleast one of those daily whole the time and now that I haven?t been taking any of them for nearly three weeks I have noticed the Dystonia symptoms.

My father, grandfather, aunt and my brother have Dystonia so it is very likely that I might have it too.

I made an appointment to private psychiatrist for tomorrow althought it costs a lot because I seriously need help to my anxiety, Dystonia symptoms, RLS and nerve pain and each of those can be treated with Lyrica and/or benzos and I have to go for private Dr. as public health won?t allow them to prescribe anything that can be addictive because of my history but private health providers can do it as they cannot access to the same database although I will be honest with that psychiatrist.

Also I am asking him to give referral to public neurologist too so I can get checked for Dystonia.

God damn there are lot of hobbies that will go away if these Dystonia symptoms keep getting worse.

I know that the Internet is full of cat pictures but I?ll still add one more:
25rio2q.jpg

Here is our new family member :) Roope aka. Robert

Cute!

Oh, I have a question...what do cats 'say' in Finnish? i.e. In the US, we say that cats say 'meow'. I always think it's interesting what words/sounds different cultures put in the mouths of animals.

Cats say Mau or Miau which is oddly quite the same as Meow when those are pronounced (finnish is pronounced as written) atleast when compared to how pigs say in both languages. R?h R?h aint nowhere near to Oink Oink.

?
Ended up getting script for Neurontin from private Dr. and actually get it filled in the pharmacy but then I put some thought to the idea of getting addicted to GABAergic drug didn?t seem nice and then I throwed them away.

27 days without opiates now.

Everything seems quite meh right now and I don’t feel contempt at all. Life seems boring without drugs and I cannot seem to start doing things I should be doing.

It seems like I am going through mental flu right now and I hope it will go away soon after I manage to start being creative again.