• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Risperidone versus quetiapine

jose ribas da silva

Bluelighter
Any thoughts?

Going to start risperidone and I want to have some feedback.. I've taken quetiapine so what should I expect?

Why are you being prescribed risperidone?

Quetiapine is the only antipsychotic I'd ever take willingly, and only at low doses. I took risperidone once during benzo withdrawal to sleep out of desperation and I regretted it. It felt horrible.

Doctor said that it is has less effects in the metabolism when compared with quetiapine, and it is pediatric too, which, I don't know, makes me feel better regarding it

I would never recommend risperidone for anxiety. Is there more than just anxiety?

While it is true risperidone is used in children, these cases usually involve children with severe behavioral issues (often related to autism).

The dose i took was 1mg and it felt terrible. Who knows, maybe .25mg could have therapeutic value. Benzos, while effective in the short term, are of questionable usefulness in the long-term treatment of anxiety.

ew man. that's like the worst med ever. only second to invega. srsly don't take that shit, it has the worst side effects, weight gain, grows ur tits, blocks drugs, heart palpitations, parkinsonism, etc. although you're just taking 0.25mg seriously i'd never use that piece of shit med for anxiety. Just thinking about risperidone gives me anxiety actually.

Doctor said that it is has less effects in the metabolism when compared with quetiapine, and it is pediatric too, which, I don't know, makes me feel better regarding it
i'd choose quetiapine 1000000 times over risperidone anyday.

seriously man don't take that shit, fuck it. It belongs in the trash bin.

except for the metabolic aspects, I have found quetiapine more effective for anxiety than any benzos I have taken, which practically includes all ordinary benzos

In the long term, I mean, benzos are more effective in the short term, but, over time, they accumulate, induce strange thoughts, quetiapine kills your feelings, but if you are suicidal or stuff like that it can be nice

I would never, under any circumstances, recommend risperidone for anxiety. It is a drug that should only be used for serious psychiatric illness such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder type 1.
I was put on it in rehab some ten years back, along with another kid. I refused to take it after feeling how bad the side-effects were. The psychiatrist told my mom I was schizo-affective in order to get me on it.

The other kid who had very severe bipolar disorder had developed breasts within 2 or 3 months of taking it, and he was a skinny kid.

Stick with the Seroquel if those 2 drugs are your only option. Taking risperidone for anxiety is overkill and IME has caused a sense of not being able to breath properly (although this could have just been an uncommon reaction, im not sure).

I prefer risperidone. I can take it in the day and fight the sleep only after I built a tolerance tho but strangely some days it knocks me out.
I get less side effects was on 200mg long acting quetiapine for years only thing I enjoyed was it did give me a mild stoned high before sleep
Hardly no rls on this dose of risperidone.
I must add tho don't miss doses especially risperidone turns me into a madman or extremely anxious

Risperidone. Though I prefer zyprexa over it. And like Hezman said the worst thing about it is coming off/decreasing doses.
I've taken zyprexa for 3 months before. It's pretty good if u like to feel like a zombie. Xd

It's a good med for sleep tho.
Yeah, its possible that it makes me feel like a zombie even in the low doses. I dont have the memory to remember my life before it, not even close.
Though for what its worth my life is way more stable now and I prefer it.

All of the anxiety-relief from risperidone is probably because of the antihistaminic and/or adrenolytic effects, and quetiapine has these same effects with much less dopamine receptor blockage. The DA receptor effect does absolutely nothing about anxiety unless you have actual schizophrenia, otherwise it's likely to make the anxiety even worse. Risperidone can also mess up your hormones and cause impotence and gynecomastia in males.