• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

risperidone for sleep, bad idea?

I read elsewhere risperidone affects the D2 receptor which stops your enjoyment of things you usually like doing. Does Trazodone do this too?

The main target of trazodone is 5-ht1a and 5-ht2a/b/c which are all approximately ~100nM, whereas its affininity for your d2 receptor is ~4000nM, which is a selectivity of ~40x, so that's defininitely selective (at least for your therapeutic purposes).

Isn't trazodone binding to a1 and or h1 significantly as well?

I feel like 0.5mg Risperidone is such a low dose that at that point it's mostly an anti-histamine, anti-adrenergic and 5-HT2A antagonist. I believe seroquel is thought to not have appreciable dopamine antagonism until the doses are above 300mg or so, yet 25mg can still be profoundly sedating for some.

Oh I completely agree, but I think its interesting that even though a drug may have high affinity for i.e. 5-HT2A (35.8 Ki nM for trazodone) and lower affinity for another target (a1a - 153 Ki nM and H1 - 220 Ki nM) it could be that the lower affinity targets are responsible for the majority of effects at a particular dose, in this case the sedative/hypnotic effect.

Oh I completely agree, but I think its interesting that even though a drug may have high affinity for i.e. 5-HT2A (35.8 Ki nM for trazodone) and lower affinity for another target (a1a - 153 Ki nM and H1 - 220 Ki nM) it could be that the lower affinity targets are responsible for the majority of effects at a particular dose, in this case the sedative/hypnotic effect.

Why wouldn't 5-HT2A blockade play a role? Other 5-HT2A antagonists have been shown to induce sleep.

Why wouldn't 5-HT2A blockade play a role? Other 5-HT2A antagonists have been shown to induce sleep.

Oh I'm sure it's playing some role but people say that Trazodone knocks them out like a light and gives them hypotension and so forth - just from these sorts of anecdotal reports I was wondering if trazodone (at lower doses) was mainly a sedative due to histamine/adrenergic effects, and 5-HT2A antagonism wasn't the primary target.

The 5-HT2A blockade could also be synergising with the anti-adrenergic/anti-histamine effect that can lead to a decrease in 5-HT.

I've never had the chance to try something like pimavanserin but my suspicion is that it may be similar to Orexin antagonism in the sense that it doesn't necessarily induce sleep very forcefully like a benzo or antihistamine would.

Rarerran based on your question did what they said make any sense to you at all or did it kinda look like "the hubbita hibbita hits 47 therefore the chy causes 27xy to relase huuu."

I only ask because everyone has different levels of information about things like if i asked how do i fix my car and i got a complex mechanical explanation id still be totally lost.

By hippocampus what do you mean? If you mean memory yes antipsychotics are linked to memory issues esp with long term use at very high doses .

I have a little interest in this stuff but jargon like "H1 - 220 Ki nM" is beyond my understanding.

I have a health condition and wondering what it could be. Since last summer I've had a discomfort feeling (appears to have been triggered by dodgy cannabis bought from street), sometimes at the back of the jaw (on one side) and sometimes (now and recently) just below and just behind the eyes. I did a little research and found the hippocampus, amygdala and sphenoid sinuses are in this area.

Also since last summer I've been on risperidone and wondering if it is interfering with the healing of whatever is wrong with me. It was prescribed by a psychiatrist who didn't know I had used dodgy cannabis (weed is illegal here so I never mentioned it).

I do have a neurologist appointment (prob be months) I will mention to him the cannabis use.

Many different antipsychotic drugs have sedative effects. The most commonly used as sleeping pills in nonpsychotic and non-bipolar patients are olanzapine and quetiapine. The dosage used for insomnia is lower than the typically dose used in their FDA-approved indications, which include the treatment of psychotic disorders (schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder),mania, and in some cases bipolar and unipolar major depression.
The course of these diseases is often chronic. You should choose what’s best for long term use. The best approach is to use low doses of different medications in order to reduce side effects. If you want to know more about their mechanisms of action, you might find this post useful http://medicalmagister.com/best-sleeping-pills-insomnia/

tbh I think 0.5mg of risperidone is appropriate right now, it calms me down a little during the day and helps me get to sleep at night.

But if this is all I want/need out of this drug, are there any safer drugs than risperidone that do the same thing?

Im prescribed it for sleep, though Im also off my rooocker!!!! ahahha Nah, But yes I find It works well in 1mg Dose for sleep purposes. (Do not take any other persons or "Random"
Chems stay legal stay safe)

Unless your dose is very low (probab;y 0.5mg or less) I don't think risperidone is something anyone needs to take. Same as haloperidol... bad juju right there.

If it works take it just because someone taking expodentially more then you has serious long term issues doesnt mean anything. Taking like 18 mg a day or 3600% your dose everyday for years and years can cause changes to your dopamine receptors involuntary muscle movements and breast development but if you had 3600% of 8 glasses of water a day youd experience death

^I agree. Risperidone may not be having real effects on dopamine receptors until 2mg and up or so, depending upon the person. Schizophrenia doses like 8mg are very different than 1mg.